Decision on Recievers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Bourden, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Scott Bourden

Scott Bourden Second Unit

Ah yes, the eternal battle [​IMG]
    I'm stuck in the middle here, unfortunatly, I cannot decide between a Marantz 5200 or a Denon 1802.
    Options and power wise, I prefer the Marantz (on paper) due to the extra powered channel (6.1 X 85w) as opposed to the 5.1 @ 80w of the Denon, plus it have a great deal of s-video in/out's. On the other hand, I have heard the "rumor's" about some issue's with the Marantz products as of late? This is basically the ONLY real issue stopping me from picking up the 5200 in this case. Both are listed as 799.99 Canadian, but I'm sure I can work out a bit better price. Sound wise, I had trouble deciding which is "better", but I don't exactly have an expert ear.
    My setup is as follows:
    Monitor 5's (front)
    mini-monitor's (2 +1 for center rear if I buy the Marantz)
    CC-370 center
    PW-2200 sub.
    Any help is appriciated in the matter.

2. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

I had the same decision to make but it was between the 6200 and 2802.

Which one did i get? Neither

I opted for the 3802 instead. What really did it for me was the mixed opinions that people had about marantz. People in this forum, the Marantz representative that i talked to, the dealers all had different tales and stories. So i said forget it. I'm not willing to risk of buying something that has known issues that have not been resolved. And these problems aren't "rumours", they are REAL.

The denon 3802 has served me well for the past month. No problems really and it happily drives my Reference 20's. I'm still longing for something more though with the sound it produces. That's why i'm thinking of buying an external amp one of these days.

3. Kerry R

Kerry R Extra

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm trying to decide between the Marantz 5200, Yamaha 620, Onkyo 595, and the Denon 1802. I to have been favoring the Marantz but have reservations due to some of the things that I have read on this forum. I just bought some Paradigm speakers this past weekend in Burlington, Ontario.

Front: Monitor 7

Rear: Mini Maonitors

Center: CC370

Sub: PW2200

I will be interested in the forum's opinion on A/V Receivers in this price range.

4. Scott Bourden

Scott Bourden Second Unit

Sal:

I was wondering if you could direct me to some of the better discussions about the Marantz issue's, I did a search, but obviously came up with many results.

5. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

Scott you lazy bum!!! hehe just kidding, this thread contains some heavy discussion about the whole marantz fiasco
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...highlight=x200
    read all of it, i'm sure you'll learn a lot from it.
    another one
    here's another
    plus don't forget to check the comments in www.audioreview.com although not as insightful as the stuff from this forum, it is still informative