Decision making time...Bostons or Bostons

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick L, May 14, 2002.

1. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

Well its decision making time(saved up all the money) and I still haven't made a decision. So I need some help. The two setups I'm looking at are as followed.

BA VR-M50

BA VR-MC

---or---

BA VR910

VA VR950

PV 600

The real difference is the absence of a new sub for the time being. I can live with my old sub until I have the cash for a new one, I am looking for feedback on what kind of 50/50 music/movies setup you think these two systems will be.

The cost for the two systems as mentioned above is the same.

Thanks for any advice

Nick L

2. Patrick R. Sklenar

Patrick R. Sklenar Second Unit

Nick,
    I think the sound from the two different "VR" systems will sound very similar, so you should be happy with both configurations. However, in my opinion ... the VR-Mx's in cherry just look soooo much better. [​IMG]
    And I have to admit, I do enjoy the look on peoples faces when they hear them and say "That sound is coming out of those little things!?" [​IMG]
    I have four VR-M50's, a VR-MC and a PV-1000. I absolutley love them.

3. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

I think I am leaning towards the VR-M50 and VRMC setup. I think they will be better for the music side and your right, they look sooo sweet.

My only other concern is my amp is only 55x5(H/K AVR320) and the VR-M50's are rated at 89db for sensitivity. I'm hoping I don't have any trouble driving them. I don't think I will.

Should have everything completed in a month.

New: Mitsu 46" widescreen HDTV,

VR-M50's,

VRMC,

PV600 sub

Nick

PS What stands are you using for your VR-M50's

4. Patrick R. Sklenar

Before I got my Outlaw 750 Amp, I drove the VR-Mx's with the 65w/channel Outlaw 1050 Receiver. It did a fine job driving them too. The real reason I bought the 750 is that I got a deal I couldn't turn down and I knew I'd need a seperate amp since I knew I was planning to buy the Outlaw pre/pro. [​IMG]
    I'm using Lovan Sovereign's for the front stands and a pair of no-name (but still heavy) wooden ones for the rears. I went with the Lovan's so that they'd match my A/V rack.

5. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

Are your front stands sand fillable or just heavy? The stands I'm thinking of getting aren't fillable, but are pretty heavy and spiked. Are they going to need a sand fillable stand?

How is the setup for music? Your room looks to be close to mine in terms of size.

Thanks

Nick L

6. Patrick R. Sklenar

The stands are fillable, but I don't have them filled. They're quite heavy just as is. I don't believe either the VR-M50 or the VR-M60 need a filled stand. As long as it doesn't resonate, you should be fine.
    Which room? The HT or my new set up (intended for primarily music) upstairs? [​IMG] Actually, both rooms sound pretty darn nice.

7. John Dunlap

John Dunlap Stunt Coordinator

Go for the VRM's. I've listened to the VR950's and the VRM 60's extensively. Both are nice but the VRM's are in a different league IMHO.

8. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

well, nick's question is almost exactly like mine. and i started a thread about it...dang.

if there was ONE more person in this forum telling me to just go with the vr-m50s instead of vr950, then i would go with the vr-m50s.

pat maybe you want to sell a pair?