Decision killing me...Please help

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Michael__M, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Michael__M

Michael__M Stunt Coordinator

I was able to run around a bit this weekend and listen to some of the speakers available to me locally. I am trying to buy a new front stage and sub for HT only. I was able to listen to the Paradigm Monitor7s, Klipsch, PSB Image 6T, Sapphire (Tweeter stuff not ACI), Boston Acoustics, a small Energy system, and Mirage. I really liked the Sapphires and PSBs. Another factor is that I was always really partial to my Infinity Interlude bookshelves that I will be moving to the rear. It was really hard to do a comparo since the amps and rooms were different for all. I don't claim to have a great ear or anything so I won't give you my impressions and let everyone tell me that I'm wrong about this or that. I just know what sound I like. Here are some packages I'm considering. What do you guys think?

1) PSB Image 5T, 9 center (nice sound, blems form DMC )$850

2) Sapphire towers and center (nice and smooth, tweeter) $1000
    3) Infintiy Interlude IL40s, and 36c center (available new on ebay) $900
    4) Infinity Alpha 40, 37c center (Critchfield, little brighter than my ludes) $1000

Also would consider Rockets or Axiom system, but haven't heard either of them.

I am using a DLS 3500 velodyne right now but will probably return it and get something better after I decide on the front stage. All this thinking is making my head hurt.

2. Stephen Weller

Stephen Weller Stunt Coordinator

You (sort of) answered your own question. *ANYTHING* you choose in a showroom is going to sound differently once you get it home. Base your purchase accordingly. At a minimum, I'd start at the low end of the price spectrum and work up, returning each set, and stopping at the point where my ears are satisfied.

3. Michael__M

Michael__M Stunt Coordinator

Done..PSbs are on the way. Went to listen to them again and decided to try them out. After thinking about it I decided that I like the Infinity sound but would llke something a little different for my new setup.