What's new

Decil May Cry 2 === 6.4 on Gamespot ? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
I just saw that Devil May Cry 2 got a 6.4 on gamespot has anyone played it yet. I was really looking forward to this game and was surprised to see such a low rating.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I'd suggest a read at a recent thread on DMC2. Quite a few people are disappointed with it.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
The 6.4 is more than deserved. Hell they are being nice. The Devil is crying because he got his balls cut off. Almost everything that made the first game as fun and enjoyable as it was has been stripped in the sequel. The upgrading of weapons is now a simple "level-up" affair. NO more adding moves as you go. Your weapon does not change appearance nor is there any other indication when it has been upgraded. It now just does more damage. The following isn't a full review, just my thoughts (Full review is completed and will be posted on LCVG when it goes live).

The "custom combo" system from the first game which allows you to create combinations and in turn attain more red orbs is completely gone now. What you have is a bunch of words that appear at the top right like "Its show time" that mean nothing. You can simply stand there and shoot 12 monsters in a row without doing a different manuever and get more "cool" phrases and more red orbs to appear.

Speaking of red orbs, its useless to continually fight enemies anymore since there are so many red orbs strung about the levels. Hell most times you can just run by the enemies and still finish the game without a problem. Of course with opposition this stupid its not that hard. I tested a theory of mine in game. I stood in front of one of the guerilla type creatures that the game throws at you for almost 1 minute and 33 seconds (!!) before it attacked me. Yes they are that stupid. (Really think about looking at your watch for a full minute and 33 seconds.) They sit and stare at you. The rest of the time you are usually shooting at enemies you cannot see. The static camera isn't too bad in this one but there are far too many times where you are just firing at multiple off screen enemies and most of the time you don't even know what they are unless you look at the enemy name/health bar at the bottom left.

The new aerial maneuvers are neat and look cool as hell but the simple fact of the matter is you dont need them. You can beat every damn boss (and enemy for that matter) in the game by walking around in a circle shooting your pistols. Just sit back and shoot. If your going to be hit, jump over the projectile and shoot in the air. When you land......keep shooting (UGH). No strategy. The boss fights are a fucking joke. (as is this game). What happened to the strategizing and finding the weaknesses of the lava spider boss in the first game? Or the Black Knight? Now those were boss battles!

Oh let me not forget the best part. You can sleepwalk through the game. Its ridiculously easy. Some of the 18 missions consist of a single boss fight that you can complete in less than 5 minutes.:angry: You'll have the game beat in total in less than 5 hours. (I did and I hope to remove the games presence from my home tommorrow where it shall be promptly returned)

There are some good things about the game. The graphics are really great. The environments are huge and well modeled. Even this has its own set of problems. The game is now "Devil May Cry in a factory". DMC has gone industrial. All of the excellent gothic atmosphere is gone now and what you have is towering skyscrapers, mechanical factories, etc... Some may enjoy this change and it really wasn't a huge complaint (in light of the rest of this debacle) but it did bother me enough to mention it.

Then we come to the best part of the game. The music. I want the sondtrack. Excellent rock tunes! The main theme is really kick ass and watching the opening you can't help but think your in for bad ass experience. (They lied)

Some other good things worth mentioning. Dante is still a bad ass. He doesnt quite talk as much but his action speak louder than words:). There is a new voice actor for Dante and just a prewarning, he isnt as good.

I dont know what else to say. As a big big fan of the original Devil May Cry and as someone that was looking forward to this game since it was announced this is just crap and unforgiveable crap at that. Its an adequate action game and no doubt some folks will jump in an disagree with my above assesment but compared to the original game this is complete shadow of what the great Devil May Cry once was.
Dante should at this point be pulling out Ebony and Ivory (mind you they arent even called that in the game anymore!) and plugging bulletholes in Capcom HQ for fucking up his game so badly.

EDIT: If it sounds like I'm being really harsh on this game. YOUR RIGHT! I loved the first game. It was a marvelous game and it was one of the few action titles that captured what I love about games like Castlevania in 3d form. I came into the sequel with an open mind and at first I even found it to be "ok". The further I went in, the worse this atrocity got. The sequel is a complete disappointment in almost everyway and I'm still wondering how Capcom could screw the pooch so badly on this one.

Sorry I'm disgusted and must go now.....
:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

JamesH

Supporting Actor
I wonder how bad the original DMC team makes fun of the team that made the second one. Why would Capcom have put a new team in place of the proven one for one of its biggest franchises?

At a water cooler somewhere in a Capcom office......

DMC1 Programmer: Hey, I heard this rumor...
DMC2 Programmer: W..w..what is it?
DMC1 Programmer: The game you made fucking sucks!!
--punches DMC2 programmer in the stomach and runs off--

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Gamespot is teh bias!

What? You knew SOMEBODY was gonna say it :D. I'm proud to contribute to running gags.

Far as the review's concerned though, sounded pretty laid out to me where the problems were. I didn't read the IGN review, but it appeared equally as flattering from the by-line.

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
Just about everything Gamespot and Romier said was right on. Not one boss fightin this game, except maybe the last one is as hard as the first magma spider fight in the first game. Dodging makes avoiding attacks too easy, guns are too powerful and all you end up doing is sitting back and blasting away, occasionally dodging attacks by either rolling away, or jumping.

There is no earning your moves here. You have air-hike from the get-go. You also have devil form and you'll get air raid in about 15 minutes. The only reason for red orbs is buying the power ups like vital stars that you'll never need (because you shouldn't get hit that much) and powering up your weapons to make them more powerful. But even that is imbalanced, since the only weapons you'll ever need in the game is the starting sword, and the pistols. You get two more swords and three more guns, but by that time your starting weapons will be a higher level and there's no point wasting 10,000 orbs to power up the new ones. They won't be good enough in time.

The combo system isn't so much a combo system anymore as it is a chaining system. Kill successive enemies quickly enough and you can keep the 'Show Time' message on screen for longer. The longer you keep the rating, the higher your ranking at the end of the level and the more orbs you get. It worked in Shinobi, it doesn't work here.

Enemies actually are that stupid, especially in the beginning. Towards the end the game does get more entertaining with some of the boss fights and they throw more enemies at you in more enclosed spaces.

But this game is still too easy. It's like they asked 'fans' of the first one what they wanted, and every one of them sucked ass at the game and wanted it to be easier. So they went a little overboard. You have medallions now that modify your devil trigger state.

Group 1:
- Air Raid
- Speed increase

Group 2:
- Add lightning attack to your moves

Group 3:
- Make your attacks more powerful
- Increase healing rate while in devil trigger

You can choose to use one from each group at the same time. Also, if you ever have to use a yellow orb, it doesn't make you restart outside the boss's door, it brings you back to life immediately in the same room where the boss has the same amount of health as he did before you died.

Story? Forget it. We see cutscenes, and Dante seems to be doing...something, but none of it is explained. It just jumps from scene to action to scene to scene with no explanation of what the hell just happened. The entire story is one non-sequiter after the other.

The camera...it's like they put it in as a joke. Probably 80% of the rooms you go into where enemies spawn, you can't see them. Just hold R1, fire away and watch the health bar drop. Plus they try to make you do platforming a few times. This is not a camera for platforming. Most of the time you're better off using air raid and just flying up there.

But in spite of all that...I'm keeping it. Some of the boss fights are fun, and like the first one, it's more entertaining once you're good at it and can just kick some ass.

It'll be on eBay for around $25 once I'm done with it.
I'm proud to contribute to running gags.
Yeah...don't. :)

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
Well from the sounds of it this might be a rental. (might)
Im pissed, I really wanted this game too. And it looks like Star Wars KOTOR is getting p[ushed back till may. I swear if Galaxies gets pushed back im going on a michael douglas falling down rage filled killing spree.:D

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I tried to nab the Circuit City buy DMC2 get DMC1 free. They were out of DMC1. Best Buy agreed to pricematch, but they had no DMC1. Went to Media Play, figured I would at least get Replay points for it (I was also considering The Sims PS2 for my g/f), no Sims left in stock, no DMC2! left in stock. I was not willing to pick up the game on faith after the reviews, not for $50! But apparently it is selling pretty well...

I went to Software Etc, almost picked up DMC2 there out of frustration, but there was a 17-18 yr old dude returning it, ironically, he said it blew compared to the last one. Software etc had a coupon in their Game informer for 10% off, + 10% off used games if you got their card. So I bought the card, got 6 month? subscription to Game Informer magazine, and walked out with Godzilla Monsters Melee, Ico, Metroid, and a new copy (no used copies in stock) of DMC1. Grand total $111 for 4 games, instead of DMC2 and Sims for about the same.

I liked the first DMC1 for its difficulty, I will wait until I can nab DMC2 as a rental and re-enjoy DMC1 in the mean time.

Thanks for the comments on DMC2, Rob!! I was still very hesitantly thinking of still buying it, I loved the 1st one so much that I had trouble believing the reviews, but after the descriptions of what they have done to the fighting and leveling systems, I WILL PASS. Comments much appreciated.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
Dave, maybe you could harass the Circuit City manager until he gives you a different $20 game free since they're out of DMC1.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I did ask, and the counter guy said the manager said no. I think the problem was the "while supplies last" disclaimer on the ad. Ick. Still haven't found the game on rental yet though.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
A friend of mine got this over the weekend and loves it. He said it really is too easy, but that Hard mode fixes that (I think he's just really bad at the game). The tower or whatever thing with the 9,999 levels sounds cool. But overall, he said it's just a great game.

Another friend hates it. Keep in mind, the first friend never played DMC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks