Deciding on a player!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian-Dawg, May 23, 2001.

1. Brian-Dawg

Brian-Dawg Auditioning

I want a progressive scan player,but as my entire setup(except for my speakers) is Sony I have had only one option. I hear that there are new Sony progressive models coming out, but am willing to listen about other brand advantages. I'm looking to spend $500 - $1000, but the 9000es is really out of my range! To help, my setup is
    Sony 32XBR400 direct view TV
    Sony DB840 DD/DTS 5.1 receiver
    Sony PS2(for dvd but it is driving me crazy)
    Polk Audio 6600 Sub/Sat
    Thanks for the help!

2. GregH

GregH Agent

The new Sony NS-700P is progressive scan and probably retails for around $500.

3. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

I'd put this in the Hardware section and you'll get more hits.
    Just because everything else is Sony, doesn't necessarily mean you have to settle for Sony. Their DVD players still have the chroma bug.
    Philips is coming out with progressive scan players with the new Faroudja de-interlacer chips. Award winning technology. Maybe late summer as a release window. Hopefully they're worth the wait. Not sure about DVD-Audio support included. If they use a stock MPEG-2 decoder, it may still have the chroma bug.
    If you can't wait, then the next best thing is the Panasonic DVD-RP91N or K models (champagne or black color). A lot of people are very happy with theirs and it includes many rare, but important features for those HDTVs that lock into FULL anamorphic mode, and pretty good DVD-Audio playback as well. No chroma bug has been detected since they use a better MPEG-2 chip.
    Great deals to be found on-line.
    Dan

4. Brian-Dawg

Brian-Dawg Auditioning

I have heard about but never had explained to me this chroma problem. Does it affect the picture when a progressive imput is used?
    Also what have you heard about that Panasonic DVD-RP91N and where could I see a better pic of it and the remote as the only one I found was kinda small. (Yes appearance does matter!)

5. Mike_P

Mike_P Agent

The chroma bug appears in a lot of progressive scan players. Basically it is a striped or noisy appearance in parts of the picture which are highly saturated solid colors. There is a particular place in Toy Story where the bright red in the picture is really bad that is often refered to. I found info on this at the avscience site (www.avscience.com). Sorry I don't remember the exact link, but I found the info in about 5 minutes. Sound and Vision also talked about it in this month's issue in the Denon 2800 review.

6. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

This Link has some good information and active icons to demonstrate some of these problems. It has some pictures at the bottom showing both what the scene should look like and what the chroma bug makes it look like. Check it out!
    Click Here
    ------------------
    - Wes
    My Home Theater
    The MMG were replaced with 1.6QR's and added Marantz MA-700's. SVS is here. Ok, allot more then that has changed, I'll update my page some day...