Deciding between two Sony's

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Bryant S, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Bryant S

Bryant S Auditioning

Hey everyone,
    I'm trying to decide between two Sony's. I originally wanted a 46-50" widescreen for my bonus room/home theater. However after "test driving" a friend's 48" widescreen it almost seems my room is too small for such a big TV. During action scenes on movies such as Gladiator, you sorta get overwhelmed by all the minute details and I'm wondering if the TV is just too big for this room. The problem is you're only sitting approx. 8 feet from the screen and maybe that's too close? Anyhow now I'm trying to decide which is the better fit for my room. I'm looking at a 34" widescreen Sony KV34HS420. I assume this 34" widescreen is comparable to a 36" 4:3? The projection set I'm looking at is a 46" Sony KP46WT520. Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

The first time you see a large TV in your room, you are always overwhelmed by the size. Your first feeling is "Wow, that's really big"; it's only human nature after viewing a smaller screen for so long. Sitting 8 feet away is a fine distance for 46-50 inches. I sit even closer (7 feet) to a 56 inch and see no scanlines and HDTV is phenominal. You are looking for a Home Theater, and at 8ft a 50" does not come close to filling the same field of view that a theater screen would fill. Trust me, you'll get used to the larger size and in a few weeks you'll be asking "I wonder if I could have gone larger".

3. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit