Decided to get a Sony KP51HW40 but need help on where to buy/warranty...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin Gates, May 12, 2002.

1. Justin Gates

Justin Gates Agent

OK, I've finally decided on the Sony KP51HW40. My only dilemma now is do I buy online to save a few bucks or buy locally in case there is a problem?

Also, since Sony only covers parts for the first 90 days should I invest in an extended warranty?

Argh... decisions, decisions...

Anyway, Circuit City offers a 48 month extended warranty which appears to be pretty thorough. Although it is $400 alone for the warranty. It could be money well spent, then again, I may not need to use it.

I'm considering getting the set through Circuit City although I've never cared for shopping there. The reason is that my step father just bought a 43" Hitachi RPTV that just died after a week and a half. Circuit City offered for him to exchange the set with a different brand if he wanted to. He went with the same model. They came out and delivered the new set 3 days later with no charge to him. Now I know that after spending at least $2k on a product you would expect this kind of service, but that is unfortunately not always the case with some retailers.

Anyway, I was impressed by this and think I'll take my business to them if I can get a deal through them.

2. AlbertH

AlbertH Stunt Coordinator

get it through best buy. They have a cheaper service plan ($300) and have a no questions asked 30 day return policy. If you are unhappy with it within thirty days you can even RETURN it for a full refund.

3. Justin Gates

Justin Gates Agent

Only thing I dont like about Best Buy's extended warranty is it states if they need to replace the set they can do so with a refurb.

4. Thomas Detviler

Thomas Detviler Auditioning

Congratulations on your choice. I bought the same set at Circuit City two weeks ago. I had a 36" Panny Tau direct view for about 3 weeks and did not like it. they took it back no questions asked. I told them that I was going to buy a 55" Samsung at Best Buy that was on closeout for $2200, they did not carry that brand so they offered me the Sony 51" which sells for $2499 for $2200. The best I found on the net was about $2150 and about $200 to ship. I love the Sony! It looked great out of the box and I have now tweaked it with Avia. I did not buy a service plan and hope I don't regret it but i just do not believe in them. One thing you should be aware of is the fact that this RPTV has a very narrow top which makes it difficult to place a center channel speaker. there is a post under tweaks forum with plans and photos on how to build one. I did this and modified it a bit and it looks and works great! Good luck on your purchase!

TD