What's new

Decided on Projector (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
go to a fabric store and buy Blackout cloth (used for lining curtains)
should run you under $40.
get it about a foot longer than you will need.
go to a hardware store and buy 1 x 2"s one for the top, one for the bottom and about 4 pieces to run verticle.
if you don't have one, buy a staple gun, or hand stapler.

here's what i did
1) layout the cloth whitest/smoothest side down on a clean floor
2) place the wood pieces that make the top and bottom of the frame on the cloth, widest area of the wood flat.
you'll fold over the cloth and staple it to the wood, working from the center out.
3) when both pieces are stapled (about 4" between each staple),
roll the wood in a couple times- this way, when you stretch the screen by putting in the verticle supports, it will be reinforced and not tear off the staples.
take a measurment of the insidedistance between the wood and add another inch- this will be how high the inside wood needs to be.
you add an inch, because this will strech the screen taught and smooth out any wrinkles.
its then a matter of screwing in the top piece to the verticle pieces.

another way to do this would be to look up how to strech an artists canvas on the web, and you should find some illustrated instructions.
thats basically what you are doing- making a large canvas to hang on the wall- but instead of a textured cloth duck material, you are using a smooth curtain liner.

sorry i couldn't be a little clearer-its really simple to do- very hard to screw up.

good luck!

Ted_C

Agent
Used the instructions from the web site from my previous post to build my screen. I'm very pleased. Also got my HDTV box from Time Warner Cable. WOW. Incredible. Watched Discovery HD. Can't believe what I'm seeing. It looks like your looking through a window. The picture quality is INCREDIBLE!!!!!! :emoji_thumbsup:

Huge incredible picture. Thanks everyone at hometheaterforum for your input on purchasing the right projector.

Len Cheong

Second Unit
Just saw this projector at a friend's place and had to sit back about 20 feet just to get the best possible image for my viewing. He had what appears to be a 10 foot image. Too bad I was sitting right up to his surround speakers so that didn't work out too nicely. When I was 10 feet from the image, I could see the "blocks" in the image. It did not also look very bright. At 20 feet, the image seemed to brighten up.

Brian Holt

Auditioning
Im looking at this projector for my theater. Now cdw.com wants $3500 for this. I thought the prices generally dropped, not rose! Anyone advise a good vendor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks