Decided on Projector

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ted_C, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Ted_C

Ted_C Agent

After much research I have decided to go with the
    Sony VPL-HS20 (cdw.com 2589.00 + tax) There are a few questions I have that I hope someone here can answer. The room I am putting the projector in is 13 feet across. What size and what type of screen should I get? How big will my picture be? I plan on putting the projector on a shelf on the wall. Can I plug all my components in?
    1. DVD Player
    2. Bose surround
    3. Cable box w/ HD Tuner
    4. Computer
    5. Nintendo Game Cube

Thanks

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    You could use the receiver as a video switcher and then route the various outputs from the receiver to the projector. I don't think you have enough inputs on the projector for eerything to hook directly to it.

How deep is the room. I think the HS20 is a long throw projector, someone will have to supply the throw charts. You will need to know this to calculate what screen sizes will be available from a particular mounting location.

3. Ted_C

Ted_C Agent

The distance from wall to wall is 13 feet. The info below is from the spec sheet. Can anyone answer the questions from my first post based on the info below?

Thanks

Standard Lens Throwing Distance: 40" - 1.5m-1.8m; 60" - 2.3m-2.8m; 80" - 3.1m-3.7m; 100" - 3.9m-4.6m; 120" - 4.6m-5.9m; 150" 5.8m-7.0m; 200" - 7.8m-9.3m; 300" - 12m-14m

4. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Wow, how'd you manage that price? Business partner?

5. Heath_E

Heath_E Stunt Coordinator

13ft. = 3.96m. So a 100" screen according to the specs.

6. Jack Shappa

Jack Shappa Second Unit

So your room is a 13 x 13 foot square? With one row of seating you'll be roughly 10-11 feet or so from the screen. My first row is 10 1/2 feet from the screen and I use a 7 foot wide screen (96" diagonal) following the 1.5 x screen width rule for seating distance (also THX 36 degrees recommendation) and it feels just right.

- Cryo

7. Heath_E

Heath_E Stunt Coordinator

When those specs say a 100" screen for 13ft., does that mean you have to use a 100' screen at that mounting distance, or does that mean a maximum of 100" but a smaller screen could be used?

8. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

9. Jack Shappa

Jack Shappa Second Unit

It means that if you want a 100" screen, you'll have to mount it between 3.9 and 4.6 meters away. At 3.9 meters (closest) you'd have to zoom it to maximum size, and at 4.6 meters (furthest) it would be zoomed to minimum size. So at your distance of 3.96, you could make the screen quite a bit smaller, and a tad bigger. Your actual size range at 13 feet is probably like 85" to 102" or so.

- Cryo

10. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Sorry to state the obvious but do not forget that the throw distance is from lens to screen. Don't forget to take into account the actual length of the projector which in this case is 14.6". That means you cannot mount this unit any further than 11ft9" from the front wall otherwise the projector will hit the back wall.

You have essentially 11'9" of throw to work with. You will have to use the calculator to find out the screen sizes available (minimum and maximum) from that mounting location.

11. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The online calculator says that you will have a minimum of a 77" 16x9 screen from a throw distance of 11.75" (11'9") and a maximum of a 93" 16x9 screen using maximum zoom.

Sorry but this projector will not give you a 100" screen in a 13'x13' room unless you project through a hole in the wall.

I would suggest perhaps a 92" 16x9 screen but we are to the point of splitting inches in this scenario. The best course of action if you go this route is to do actual measurements once you get the projector in the room. Place the projector on a table and move the table to the back wall. Then use the zoom function and take actual image measurements on the wall to confirm the 92".

Lucky for you, the HS20 is front ported and not rear ported otherwise you would need an additional 2' clearance between the projector and the rear wall.

12. Jack Shappa

Jack Shappa Second Unit

Where are the connections on the HS20? If they go in the back, or if it needs ventillation space behind it, it will be even closer to the screen.

- Cryo

13. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Like the HS10, the connections are at the back. Yes, a little space will be needed for those also. As I mentioned, it is very close to call. Don't commit to any screen before you take actual real-world measurements in your room. You will be in the neighbourhood of 92" for a screen though to give you a ballpark idea and moving closer to the front wall will reduce that.

14. Ted_C

Ted_C Agent

Wow guys. Thanks. I will wait until I get the projector. Then measure. Im on a waiting list. Probably won't see the projector until febuary. I dont mind because I'm still saving money.

15. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    When you get it please let us know what image size you end up with.

16. Ted_C

Ted_C Agent

I sure will. Anyone interested in getting the same price just email me and I'll give you the contact info. Total with shipping handling and tax is $2633.67 BEST PRICE THAT I HAVE FOUND.

councilman at email dot com

17. Ted_C

Ted_C Agent

Still waiting for my projector and I have another question. If I do not want to use digital keystone correction how does the projector have to be set up? I read that using digital keystone correction degrades the picture.

18. Ryan FB

Ryan FB Second Unit

If you don't want to use keystone correction, and you want a picture with all right angles at the corners, your projector lens needs to be perfectly parallel to the projection surface. Keystone correction is used to correct the "off-angle" image distortion that occurs if you don't put your lens parallel to the surface, which usually happens in a lot of setups because working the seating etc. out so the light isn't blocked is usually a hassle.

19. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The lens of the projector whould be even with the top of the screen. The screen's blackout border will help to take care of a small amount of the problems that arise from an slightly imperfect mounting location. If you want to get it perfect then you will need 2-3 people doing the job. I tried the setup by myself, hanging the PJ off a 12' ceiling [​IMG] but then again, I HAD to use slight keystone correction in my scenario that could not be avoided.

20. Ted_C

Ted_C Agent

Finally got it. Love it!!
    Couple of things. Have it sitting on shelf on wall 6 feet off the floor. Had it on the shelf right side up but it was projecting to high so i turned it upside down and flipped the picture. It projects up when setting right side up not staight as was previously posted. So turning it upside down works out perfect. No side shot use No keystone correction. AWESOME.

Now for the screen. The picture measures 82" across. I've read in different forums that people make there own. Anyone have any opinions or suggestions on home made screens? Or any screens?