Decided against a combine CD/DVD player...now I really need help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Gurney, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Mark Gurney

Mark Gurney Stunt Coordinator

For the past couple of months I have been looking into getting a new DVD player. My orginal plan was to make this my primary DVD and CD work horse due to space constraints (and being a little cheap). I was looking at changer models from Toshiba, Sony, Kenwood and the like with no progressive scan outputs. My television is not a HD model, so I thought why spend the extra?

Anyway, after much reading through the forum I have decided that a not only is a seperate CD player the way to go, but that I should go ahead and spring for a progressive scan player as I see a HD monitor in the future. Anyway, I need help on both of these, I've looked through back posts but still have not been able to narrow it down Here is what I am looking for:

DVD player:

- Single disc player

- Progressive outputs

- Digital coaxial output

- Black with blue/green display (yes, I'm a loser)

- DVD Audio is a plus, but not mandatory

- $200 - $300

The Toshiba 4700 SD4700 seems to fit the bill, but what else is out there?

CD Player:

- Five disc changer

- Digital optical output

- Black with blue/green display

- SACD is a plus, but not mandatory

- $200 - $300

I understand that this price range will not get me into Sony's budget SACD players, is there a reason to increase this for a casual listener?

Thanks for any help that you all could provide.

Mark

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Well there's a few DVD players that fall into that price point with the Sony 700P being a popular choice.

For the CD player I'd say you have two choices. You can get SACD and enjoy its supperior sound and settle for ok but not stellar CD play back and get the Sony SACD 775 5 disc changer (now $200 at most places) or you can forget SACD for now and look at a few of the better CD changers. Marantz has a few that I really like but the Denon 370, some Sony ES and a coupleo of others are all worthy of an audition as well.

If it were me in your shoes and the HD monitor was a couple of years away I'd buy the Sony SACD/DVD player thats pretty cheap (DVP-500V I think thats the model #). This will get you a decent DVD player and SACD to boot. I'd then spend as much as you can on the CD changer. Lets face it SACD may sound incredible but there simply isn't that much software out there yet to comprise your normal CD's for. Getting the SACD/DVD player will still allow you to build up your SACD collection without making the CD portion of your system weaker. Later when you get your HD monitor you can then look at the latest progressive scan players which at that point I'm sure will be very cheap and commomplace. just my 2c.

3. Mark Gurney

Andrew,

I was under the impression that SACD players actually enhanced the playback of ordinary redbook CD's. I realized that this enhancement might only really be audible on higher end equipment, but I had not heard that redbook audio actually suffered!

Are there any other opinions/experiences out there when it comes to lower end SACD players and redbook audio?

Mark

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Mark - just because something plays SACDs is no indication of whether it will be good or bad on regular CDs. I had the Sony 9000ES in my bedroom system at one point and it was OK on CDs not great. In the price range you are looking, Costco had the JVC progressive scan DVD-A player for $199.99 that was originally more. May not meet your color requirements though. The Sony 500 (DVD/SACD) mentioned is very good for the money, I bought one for my brother. Sony also makes a 5 disc SACD changer that is $349.99 list that you can get for under $300. Toshiba I believe also makes a progressive scan DVD-A machine in the range you are looking and the color scheme. If you can live with 2-channel SACD, the Sony 9000ES is coming down in price and is not that far away from your combined total, of course no changer, but is built great. The new Rotel is an excellent CD player for $450 list and likely can be had for around $400. It compares very favorably to machines over twice its price. Sony also has a DVD/SACD 5 disc changer for $399.99 list (or around there).

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Mark the issue with SACD players has nothing to do with the fact that they can play SACD's but rather to the fact that the 775 SACD/CD player is a low end Sony CD player it just happens to play SACD's. Up until this player came out all SACD players were based on Sony ES CD players so obviously their redbook performace was better. Picking up a Sony 9000ES as an all in one unit might not be a bad idea, you'd get better video performance then the 500V, very good CD playback and it can do SACD as well (albeit only 2 channels which IMO isn't a bad thing[​IMG])

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mark, Andrew makes some excellent points regarding CD playback of the Sony's lower-end SACD players like the SCD-CE775 and DVP-NS500V. They simply are not great CD players, but they are not expensive either. SACD compatibility does not necessarily a great CD player make. I also think Andrew's suggestion of getting the 'NS500V and a better CD changer than the 'CE775 is sensible. This combo will still give you SACD, and you are not ready for progressive-scan video output anyway. For CD changers in the $200 to 300 range, I would look at the Denon DCM-370, Marantz CC4000, and Sony CDP-CA70ES. Of course, one of these changers and the 'NS500V will not get you DVD-Audio.

A DVD player like the Toshiba SD-4700 coupled with the Sony 'CE775 would get you both high-resolution formats, but you would have to decide if CD playback on the 'CE775 were good enough for you. You might like the 'CE775 in that capacity, but you might not. I feel it's worth trying the '4700/'CE775 combo as a means to get both high-resolution formats. If, however, you were not pleased with the 'CE775 as a CD player and were then going to get a straight CD changer and then a DVD player with either SACD or DVD-Audio, I would go the SACD route (i.e., the 'NS500V). SACD is the better-sounding format in my opinion, though direct comparisons are not scientific, and SACD offers many more titles. Just my thoughts.

7. Mark Gurney

It looks like my choices are narrow to the following:

Scenario #1

Toshiba SD4700

Sony SCD-CE775

Scenario #2

Sony DVP-NS500V (SACD)

Quality Denon, Marantz or Sony CD changer

One last deciding factor: Even though the Toshiba has progressive output, will the Sony and Toshiba DVD players offer comparable video quality in interlace modes? Lastly, if anyone could offer other scenario's that I should consider, I'm all ears!

Mark

8. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I've seen both the Toshiba and Sony at different times. As an interlaced video source I would prefer the Sony from what I have seen. Another choice is to up the budget a drop and go with the Pioneer Elite DV-47A, progessive scan along with both multi-channel SACD and DVD-A. You don't get a changer but I have heard it can be had for about $800 through the mail or the Panasonic 91 that is coming down in price along with an SACD changer. I also prefer SACD over DVD-A.

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mark, I have always preferred the interlaced output on Sony players over Toshiba models. Some Toshiba players are known for jagged artificats, but I do not know if the '4700 falls in this category.

10. Mark Gurney

So I was just thinking, my receiver (Denon AVR-1602) only has one set of external inputs. So I would have to choose SACD or DVD-Audio as I could not hook up both, correct? Is there any way around this (besides buying a receiver with two external inputers? These formats cannot run through digital connections, right?

Mark

11. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

No DVD-A and SACD can not run through digital inputs (yet) so you are right it's difficult to run both at the same time with one set on 5.1 inputs.