Decided: 6 Atoms all around

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Josh~H, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Josh~H

Josh~H Stunt Coordinator

I returned my ADP-170's -- the diffuse sound really didn't work well for me in my HT. I exchanged them for 4 more Atoms, matching the 2 Atoms I already have in the front L/R. The 4 new Atoms will be used as Rear L/R and Rear Centers.

Is it reasonable to mount all 4 of these rear speakers in the same plane -- i.e., the same distance from the front of the room. Ideally maybe they rear L/R should be slightly forward of the rear centers, but...my room isn't ideal.

I'm going to be mounting these on the ceiling (8') angled slighly down and towards the center of the listening position. Is this an OK arrangement? They will appear along the back of the room shown here.

2. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

I would avoid ceiling mount.
    Use the ITU recommendation for the surrounds[side],and place the back surrounds behind you slightly apart from one another.All should be the same distance from your primary listening location.I would also recommend speaker stands[tall 48" or so] over wall mount. I fyou could follow these you won't be sorry with the outcome.

3. Stephen M

Stephen M Stunt Coordinator

Why stands over wall mount? Who makes 48" stands? How much for them?

4. Ozzie_Sheikh

Ozzie_Sheikh Auditioning

I have my Ascend's hanging from the ceiling and angled toward my seating position with them majorily facing each other as dolby suggests. It does a great job for creating difuse listening enviroments for my movies. I have no problems what so ever.

5. Josh~H

Josh~H Stunt Coordinator

I decided not to use my ceiling-mount brackets, mainly because they're flimsy. Instead, I built some decorative shelves and put them quite high up. About 3' higher than my ears, or 1' below the ceiling. The rear L/R are mounted about 6" behind where I sit, facing directly towards each other overhead. The rear center is behind me facing forward, at the same hight as the rear L/R's.

I watched The Matrix and LOTR: EE tonight, and I really like this configuration. The high mounting position makes a fairly difuse rear sound field, but localization is possible as well when it's needed (bullet flying by in The Matrix, e.g.).

Now if I can only figure out how to run wire behind the wall, I'll be set! [​IMG]

6. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer