What's new

Deceptive DVD cover on Shrek reissue (1 Viewer)

Bill Gato

Stunt Coordinator
I went into my local Wal Mart today to pick up some new releases and got Dawn of the Dead and Mulan. Since I was on an impulse shopping trip, I didn't have a list of new releases handy and relied on the presence of new displays to show me which DVDs to pick up.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I saw a Shrek display and checked to DVD cover. Lo and behold, there was Donkey and Shrek with the ogre-like '2' logo behind them.

I happily started searching the stock for the widescreen version. Since every copy was full-screen, I asked the clerk if she had any widescreen versions of Shrek 2 not out yet. She told me that Shrek 2 wasn't due until November 5.

I could have sworn that the DVD I had in my hand was the sequel based on the cover art.

Does anyone else feel that this is a deceptive practice? The logo behind the two characters was, in fact, not a number 2, but it was intentionally drawn to look that way.

I don't know, but this elicited a really negative feeling and I felt sorry for those people that may have purchased the film, opened it up, only to find out that they had another copy of the original Shrek.

Sorry for the rant, it just left a bad taste in my mouth.

DavidKNML

Agent
I'm amazed they reissued this for the 3rd time in such a short time frame.

We had the:
Original 2 disk.
Full Frame single disk
Full Frame single disk w/ Shrek 3D
Full Frame single disk with new cover.

Colby

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Colby
I haven't seen the new cover. Is there a pic online anywhere?

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
If that is it ... I gotta say that I disagree with you guys. S and 2 are opposite and based on the space above the donkey's head it is rather obvious that it is an S, not a 2.

Besides, think about it, why would they be so deceptive about it being the sequel? I'd expect a larger, more obvious 2 on TOP Of the characters, not behind.

Anyways, just my thoughts, I guess I could see how that'd be annoying though

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
It's getting harder to find the 2-disc version, which is bad news for those of us who will buy the movie OAR. Also, why didn't they pack Shrek WS with the 3D movie?

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
And why would Lord Farquaad be on the cover and Puss'n'Boots *not* be? Sorry, that doesn't look anything like a Shrek 2 cover would look like.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Jumping on the wagon here....I hope that isn't the cover you were referring to. Even with a quick glance it didn't make me think of Shrek 2.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I'm gonna hijack this thread, rather than start a new one.
smile.gif

I was intending to buy the expected two pack/box of Shrek and Shrek 2. Since this apparently is not going to happen (WS at least) I'm going to buy the titles seprately.

It appears all reissues of Shrek have been single disc, correct? And that the only way to get all the original special features (and WS?) is to track down the original 2 disc. Correct?

Is the two disc out of print?

I ask because I saw the two disc at Best Buy today for about $22. Should I grab or hunt around online for a possibly better price... Amazon seems to have it for $2 less, but it seems to use the reissue cover. And with something like a title such as this with so many reissues under it's belt I'd rather pay $2 extra and get the right thing than order and get ther wrong title.

-paul

John Gido

Second Unit
Got the 2-disc WS Shrek from Columbia House (selection #2647600) back in June of this year. Don't know if they are still available.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
The Shrek 2-disc is still available at Amazon, AFAIK. My sister ordered it back in August.

StuR

Auditioning
I just yesterday recived my Shrek 2-disc from amazon

A search on Amazon's website under DVDs for Shrek shows the 2-disc as the 3rd search result found -- verified 2 disc by looking at the features.

Colby

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Colby
I saw this in a store the other day. What's the difference between it and the previous 1-disc?

The picture (which is just a modified version of one of the posters) is the exact same one used on the original 2-disc set. Did anyone think they were buying the sequel then?

Bill Gato

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I guess I can see how I might have jumped the gun on this one. With the release being so near, I might have had blinders on when looking at the cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks