Deception at Hollywood Video

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveGon, Dec 22, 2001.

1. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I was reluctant to start another one of these anti-Hollywood Video/Blockbuster Video threads, but I thought you should know this. I just got done chatting with someone who works at Hollywood Video. I asked this person why they had put fullscreen copies of Jurassic Park III in widescreen cases. This person informed me that they had only received fullscreen copies of that title. As far as I'm concerned, this is outright deception. What the hell is wrong with this company? And people wonder why I'm cynical.

I wish we had a "shaking head" smiley...

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I think it's already been established that the reason this happenned is because Universal sent them the WS covers and the FS discs...so the mistake was originally at Universal, but then Hollywood compounded it by not correcting it quickly.
    Even if just in the form of a note taped in the section stating "Don't worry, black-bar haters...these are all full screen versions of the DVD". Or something horrible like that. [​IMG]
    (I just know I'm gonna get flamed for the wording of that note...it was a joke for chrissakes! Can you say "irony"?)
    Oh, and is this what you're looking for?
    [​IMG]

3. SteveGon

Universal may be partly to blame for originating the mistake but the folks at Hollywood Video (at least mine) DELIBERATELY mislead their customers. Even the stickers on the widescreen cases said letterbox! Sorry to belabor the whole thing, but this situation really irks me. I paid for a specific item and received something else due to laziness and indifference. Not only that, but Hollywood Video was assuming that I'm stupid and wouldn't notice the difference... [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Edit: thanks for the smiley!

4. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I hope you demanded and got your money back.

5. SteveGon

I was informed by a befuddled clerk that Hollywood Video "doesn't give refunds". [​IMG] I did have them credit my account, though.

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Gee, with all the complaints on these boards about rental places, I guess I should feel pretty lucky. I always get the correct AR. The other night I rented Memento, and on the way home realised I forgot to check if it was widescreen. At a red light, I gave the box a gander and, sho' 'nuff, it was the good stuff.

Unfortunately, their selection totally blows. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

7. Ernesto Santos

Ernesto Santos Stunt Coordinator

I think it is time that we all send a message to these crappy rental stores by boycotting. I don't rent at these establishments since the Mummy Returns fiasco. I know it costs more but I am purchasing when I can and renting from local rental stores when I can find one (they need our business now more than ever and we now need them). Ball Buster and Horrorwood understand only one thing - losses. That is the only motivator, they honestly don't give a sh*t what you think, but they sure care about getting your money.

RANT OVER!