Decent under $400 receiver for HDTV audio

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by videobruce, Sep 20, 2006.

1. videobruce

videobruce Stunt Coordinator

I use to 'hang out' at a higher end audio store back in the 80's and was amazed at the 'hype' for each and every new higher end audio product that was to re-invent the wheel. I always blew that off since I could never be convinced that spending 5, 10 or $20k for a system could ever be worth it. While I don't want a BlowMart (WalMart) POS, some esoteric system is just plain nuts. Of course, that leaves a whole lot in between.

I started to scan through the posts in this forum and find most are 'newbie' requests. While I'm not that, I haven't followed the newer surrond sound modes after Dolby Pro Logic which is what I have now. I don't have or want a center channel or a subwoofer. Just a 4.0 system.

My wants/needs;

1. Under $400 (or so).
    2. If 5.1 is the next step up from a plain 'stereo' receiver then that would be it.
    3. I would perfer to do the video switching inside the TV so I don't believe I would need any video in/outs, this I'm not clear.
    4. Signal strength indicator for the FM tuner.
    5. Separate audio delay adjustment for at least one input (not all inputs) for the video processing issue of Microdisplays (and most HD TVs'). Note: this is not a delay for the surrond sound mode!
    5. Provision to power an 2nd set of speakers in another room (plain stereo for music) while main use would be for TV.
    4. Tone controls for thoise speakers.

I was considering Yamaha.

2. Bullet Head

Bullet Head Agent

check out the Pioneer 1016 on Amazon, its going for $416 delivered.

3. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

Why no interest in center or sub?

4. Mike_J_D

Mike_J_D Stunt Coordinator

The no center, no sub, policy is a little odd. If you want to remain true to "stereo" that's understandable, however doing a 4.0 setup is just, well odd.

If you plan on doing any movie watching at all, you need both. You wouldn't buy a DVD player and not buy a TV, would you? That's essentially what you're doing. I want a receiver for HDTV audio, which is 99% 5.1, but you don't want 5.1. Why not just buy a good 2 channel amp then?

5. Brandon Pop

Brandon Pop Stunt Coordinator

I've heard of people skipping the Sub, but the center?? That's where like 70% of all sound comes from in movies nowadays. Why not just do a 2.0 setup if that's the case?

6. videobruce

videobruce Stunt Coordinator

I can't host photos or I could show you the layout of the Living room. It's 15 x 15' and the equipment and sectional are at opposite corners on a diagonal.

My current Pro Logic receiver allows 'Phantom channel" which is what I use. I assume the newer receivers allow the same. There is no 'hole' between them. This, along with space (I don't want a speaker on top of the TV and there is no room underneath) is the reason I don't want or feel I "need" a center channel. The times I have heard 5 channel, I could always 'locate' the center and the sub and it was distracting.

BUT, I am interested in getting a new receiver, but there are too many choices as usual and the need for a signal strenght meter (which most don't have anymore) and a non global adjustable input delay seems to be tough.