Decent Towers

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by kyle-sm, Sep 6, 2004.

1. kyle-sm

kyle-sm Agent

OK guys just wondering how much it would cost to build some decent front tower speakers. I'd like something that is unbelievably loud, and sounds respectable at the same time. I know that a lot of people are going to have a hard time determining what sounds "respectable" to me but use a little guess work. Right now I got some crappy yamaha $100 clearance speakers so it wouldn't take much to upgrade them.

2. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

OK, I'll bite.

I had similar requirements and came up with these:

[​IMG] The Dynaudio drivers provide excellent sound and superb imaging. 90dB efficiency and 400+ watt power handling means they'll go plenty loud: a pair will reach 110dB peaks in my "acoustically overdamped" dedicated theater. I "shrunk" them from the original Dynaudio design (Myrage)and converted them to sealed alignment. The resulting 55Hz cutoff works perfectly with the subs in my system.

A dozen years ago when I built them, the parts cost about $2000. Now that Dynaudio is no longer selling drivers retail, they would be a lot more. The "service replacement" Esotar tweeters are currently running about $600 each.

You might want to look at Danny Richie's Alpha Line Source
    [​IMG]
    These beauties should have virtually unlimited dynamic range and are available in kit form for $1995.

3. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

if price is a little bit of a concern with you, Check out Adire Audio's Kit 281, very low extension (for a set of mains) in a reasonable enclosure, (a lot smaller then the ones posted above) and can be had for only 400 after kit and a set of enclosures built by you.

4. Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor Second Unit

5. Bob K

Bob K Stunt Coordinator

Kyle,

Take a look at http://www.pispeakers.com . The designs are quite sensitive -- mid 90s or greater -- while at the same time capable of tremendous power handling. I've built the Studio 2 towers and the Theater 4s. I use the latter in my music-only system with a pair of 8W 300B amps. With even a 40W pp amp I can shake the house. The owner, Wayne Parham, is a delight, and there's also a helpful forum at http://www.audioroundtable.com . If you build the boxes, the kits (drivers and crossovers) are quite reasonable, or you can get the plans free and source the parts yourself.

I'm not affiliated, just a delighted customer.

Pi 2 construction pix: http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/m...view_album.php

6. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

What about the Dayton 8's? They have huge boxes (twice as deep as they are wide) and supposedly put out so much bass that they can make a subwoofer totally unnecessary.

http://www.wadsnet.com/~dtenney/dayton_8MTM.htm

The story about how the project came to be is kind of funny. Under $200 in parts for the whole thing makes this probably the cheapest project that still fits the bill.

Also check out how Ted finished his Dayton 8's.

7. MarkRoberts

MarkRoberts Stunt Coordinator

I have built the dayton 8's mentioned above. They do put out a decent amount of bass at high volume. For movies the sub is still a must IMO. They are not exspensive but they are big I think my towers are around 90lbs. each. I haven't wieghed them yet. My only complaint is there is a midrange oddity with them that I have only noticed when listening to Megadeth, Dave Mustaine's voice doesn't sound as though it is coming from the woofer or the tweeter at all. It almost sounds like its coming out of the port? I don't know how else to describe it.
    Other than that small oddity I think they are great speakers and everyone who has stopped by and listened were amazed at how good they sound for about $200.00
    Oh yeah they go louder than I care to be in the room with, without strain.

8. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Hah! Lots of fun options. How much do you want to spend and do you have an idea of what is "unbelievably loud"?

9. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

I got you covered for L-C-R, ~112dB/W/m down to ~40Hz in-room with the requisite separately mounted 500Hz XO with high quality HF shelving pot, and only require a little assembly on arrival. The basic cab is 84"h x 34.5"w x 39.5"d. All you need is a ~12ft high ceiling or very wide room to lay them down in and three flea powered SET tube amps to complete the package:
    [​IMG]
    The downside is you will need to build either a twelve or more driver IB or equally large sub horn to fill in below 40Hz, but I believe these will meet your stated performance goals. [​IMG]

GM

10. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

Those Alpha Line speakers with the 8 woofers are nuts. [​IMG] Are those useable as good mains in a HT setting or are them mainly supposed to be used for music? I wouldn't mind gettting those someday. [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

Touche' Greg!

Ya know... with the current trend toward megaplex cinemas with many smaller theaters, you could probably pick up a used set of those Altec A2's pretty cheap. The "Voice of the Theater" lives. [​IMG]

Peter,
    I see no reason why Danny's line source wouldn't work well in a theater environment. In fact, most people with high-end theaters use high-end "music" speakers: Wilsons, B&Ws, Aerials, etc. The center channel might be an issue, though. Might require a micro-perf screen.

12. kyle-sm

kyle-sm Agent

Thanks so much for the replies, I like the sound of the dayton 8's, bc I'm looking to spend around $200 - 300 for the towers. Would this be a good choice for home theater as well as music? Also are there some rear speakers and a center that would also go well with this selection?

I guess unbelievably loud is where you can power a frat party with them.

13. MarkRoberts

MarkRoberts Stunt Coordinator

I use mine for both and it works out real well. As far as a matching center I am using a Definitive Technology C1 it is an older CC but works good I had to adj. the levels to match them up. I thought about doing a CC using the same design as the D8's just sealed. I haven't done it though. Another option could be a single D III? There is also some CC designs on www.partsexpress.com in the Tech talk, project showcase section.