Decent Sounding Computer Speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Duncan Barth, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Duncan Barth

Duncan Barth Stunt Coordinator

Do they even exist?

It seems that computer speaker makers (and most buyers) are after two things: make it bassy and make it loud.

Of course, that design methadology results in a system with a harsh high end and one note bass.

Is there anything out there that doesn't suck?

And what about this idea: Take something like the Logitech Z560 speaker system, and yank the midrange/bass drivers and put in new ones from parts express. PE sells a 3" shielded Audax driver which looks like it work perfectly in the Z-560s...

2. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

I've heard nothing but good things about the Klipsch Pro Media speakers. Maybe you should give those a listen.

3. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

You can always buy a pair of real speakers and a high-quality amp, maybe even used.

4. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

I agree w/ Kimmo. Use an old stereo receiver and some bookshelf speakers...much better sound.

5. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

Check out this thread over at HTT.
    Swans m200 speakers Folks seem pretty excited about these.
    T

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Agreed- why bother with "computer speakers" when it's obvious you don't like them. I have a pair of $500 yorkville active studio monitors connected to my desktop PC- and it sounds great.

Granted, they're taller than the monitor, but...

-Vince

7. Duncan Barth

Duncan Barth Stunt Coordinator

Thom: thanks for the link to the Swans... those look like the solution to my problems.

I was looking at getting 'real' speakers for my computer, and I have a NAD C340 integrated amp lying around unused. Its just that I'm really running out of space on my desk. I could fit a pair of shielded paradigm atoms (barely) but theres no way I could find anywhere near the setup to put the C340.

But thank you all for the advice.

8. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

I'm trying to decide between the amp/speaker choice or a Klipsch Promedia 5.1 system. The former might be better for music but the other would give me a separate 5.1 system from my main one... and the Klipsch system seems to be pretty darn impressive for a system designed for PC use mainly.
    Klispch ProMedia 5.1
    The good thing about the Klipsch system is, aside from the 5.1 part, that they use fairly small satellites so you don't lose your entire desk to speakers.

9. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

anyone thinking of buying speakers from the Klipsch promedia line, i strongly suggest you check out their forums @ www.klipsch.com I bought the 4.1 model and i wento through four busted sets before asking for a full refund. Educate yourself before buying and possibly getting dissapointed by the quality issues. IMO, they shouldn't have manufactured those things in China.

10. Mike Dickerson

Mike Dickerson Stunt Coordinator

Mike
    I think the Klipsch forums are unrepresentative of the real picture...people post there because of problems but due to the large number of sets Klipsch has sold of course there will be (what appears to be) a large number of problems. The two main ones were the 4.1 sub overheating and the 5.1 hissing. Apparently the 4.1 problem is solved and the 5.1s were recalled and delayed to fix that problem. I have the 4.1 and am very pleased with the way they sound. Well worth the $300 (They are modded by replacing internal wiring and things like that...check klipsch.com forums under "Anyone Try This???" by mad3d).

Just my 2c.

11. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

I've got a Yamaha TSS-1B that I think sound fairly decent. I only listen to games on them, so YMMV if you intend to use them to listen to movies or what not.