1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Decent receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Schwabby, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Schwabby

Schwabby Auditioning

I have just started getting into home audio so if I get something wrong let me know. So I am looking for a receiver that is fairly decent for around 300 dollars or less (could possibly go a tad higher if it was well worth it). I will be using this for music from my computer and for playing dvds. I don't need a whole bunch of advanced features but just a solid reciever. 7.1 channels would be nice with a/b/a+b speaker but it is not required. It does although need to have atleast two coaxial digital imputs for audio. I have speakers already but am still looking for a subwoofer to go with this. Thanks for any suggestions that you may offer.

2. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

Take a look at Sherwood. You will likely have to buy the one you need over the internet. Every receiver in there mid-fi and Newcastle has at least 2 coax digital inputs, most others in this price range have only one coax input and 2 or 3 optical inputs. The R-765 is right in you price range but is only 6.1 and no a/b the next model is the R-771 that is better power rated and does have 7.1 still no A/B though. The suggested retail of the R-771 is $600 currently out of stock on jr.com but sells there for $500. The R-765 offers 7.1 via a preout for the 7th channel and retails for $300 on the web (Sherwood's suggested retail $400).

I have had a Sherwood before and was very pleased with it, good bang for buck receiver.

Seth=L

3. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

Panasonic sa-xr55 is about $250 shipped from jr.com and has all the features you listed. It's a digital switching receiver so totally different animal than the usual boat-anchor analogs...only downside is that you need to be a little careful with your speaker selection. Many cheap speakers are on the bright side, and will not go very well with the Panasonic.