Decent multiplayer SPLITSCREEN FPS on Xbox?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Larry Talbot, Dec 26, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

Stuck with a 56k modem connection for now thus no LiVE anytime soon for me. Believe it or not I recently discovered how much fun I could have blasting my friends with Halo multiplayer...I didn't think 3 or 4 people could play splitscreen and have enough room to even see anything, but with front projection it's no problem. So - any splitscreen multiplayer FPS on Xbox you'd care to recommend? Does Wolfenstein have splitscreen death match (I know it has splitscreen co-op)? Any other decent FPS that have it?

2. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Unreal, although framerate is iffy. Unreal II is coming so hopefully that will be addressed. Timesplitters is regarded as one of the coolest FPS available for multiplayer and it's dirt cheap. Rainbow Six is more of a team-based game but I'm pretty sure there is a deathmatch component to it as well.

Although not first person Metal Arms: Glitch in the System is an amazing shooter that has splitscreen multi. Likewise MechAssault (now a cheap Platinum title) and Crimson Skies.

3. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

I just picked up Timesplitters 2 this week for $12 (Gamecube version) & so far I'd say it's absolutely great for split-screen multi-player matches.

Wolfenstein is system link only.

4. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Don't forget about Nightfire and the obvious Halo.

5. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

Thanks for all the responses, guys!
    Jay, I tried the demo for Metal Arms and was very impressed by it. Same thing with Rainbow Six but I thought that was LiVe multiplayer only? Does it have splitscreen?
    Dan and Jay I forgot about Timesplitters 2 so will start looking for that one. I liked the demo but didn't like the auto aim or auto-centering or whatever it was, which I think I read could be disabled in the full version.
    Dave - I did forget about Nightfire. I love James Bond stuff and I remember reading that Nightfire was much better than the first Bond game on Xbox ("Agent - something") so I'll have to check that out.
    Thanks again for all your suggestions!

6. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Here's a link to Nightfire for $9.99 if you're thinking about picking that up Larry.

EDIT:
    No longer available.

7. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

HALO........nothing else matters.
    And if you find yourself bored with this game, try playing the CO-OP story mode on Legendary, that will give you a brand new appreciation for the game.

Dear god the Flood on Legendary....

8. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

"Here's a link to Nightfire for $9.99 if you're thinking about picking that up Larry."

Awesome! Thanks for the link, Dan!

9. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Never played on Legendary, but the Flood blew my mind.

10. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

It's the same in the full version, and can't be disabled. A few people said that you could, but they were talking about something else. Lookspring, I think.

-Dave

11. Brian J Dupuis

Brian J Dupuis Second Unit

Second on the co-op Halo on legendary. Every time I get a chance to play it with someone, I usually suggest "Attack on the Control Room" in legendary. Ah, fun.

12. Sean Moon

Attack on the Control room on Legendary is the king in our house. Almost a nightly ritual. Nothing like skipping half the level by jumping off the ledge to the spire from the archway. Those who have done it know what I mean.

13. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

Just wanted to warn anyone else looking to buy Nightfire cheap that the JCPenny link is an exercise in total frustration and about as user unfriendly as can be. Only after you have entered all your information, name, shipping address, phone number, credit card info, etc, do they bother to tell you that the game is NOT AVAILABLE and will apparently never be available again at that price. They could have put that on the page that advertises the sale, or better yet, just take the sale ad DOWN altogether, but if they did that, then they wouldn't be wasting your time, would they? @#$%@#!

14. Bryan_Bortz

Bryan_Bortz Stunt Coordinator

HALO

15. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

I actually mentioned Halo in my first post as the game that inspired me to seek out more splitscreen multi-player FPS on Xbox, but thanks for the suggestion nonetheless.

16. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Sorry to hear about the JC Penny link Larry! I removed that link in my previous post.

17. Mike Wladyka

Mike Wladyka Supporting Actor

have you tried all the different modes in halo or just slayer?

me and my buddies can't get enough of team king of the hill...

18. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

Ghost Recon has split-screen, if I remember correctly.

19. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

"Sorry to hear about the JC Penny link Larry! I removed that link in my previous post."

Not your fault at all, Dan! I still appreciate you providing the link - it's J.C. Penny I was pissed at. I actually called the company and was told that, yes, the item is no longer available. "Then why is it still listed? Why make consumers jump through all the hoops of filling everything out before telling them they can't buy the product you're advertising?" I asked and was told they didn't operate the webpage, but they gave me the number of the division that did. Called that number and a very bored sounding employee mumbled something about how it takes time to update the page, but claimed they update the site every day. I asked him if that meant the ad would be removed by tomorrow and he claimed it would. So of course I checked today and it's still there: James Bond Nightfire for Xbox: $9.99

I've checked around and several places have it for $19.99, so I guess I'll just try to track it down at that price.

"have you tried all the different modes in halo or just slayer? me and my buddies can't get enough of team king of the hill..."

I haven't, Mike, just slayer. I was playing with two other people so the teams would have been a little lopsided. One thing about Halo mulitplayer maps is they would be better suited if they were a little smaller - for me at least when you only have maybe one or two other people you can spend more time searching for each other than shooting each other...Too bad Halo doesn't have bots. When I get a chance and have people over again, Mike, I will try king of the hill. Thanks for the suggestion.

20. Sean Moon

Try the smaller indoor maps or Battle Creek for some frantic Halo deathmatching.
    Also, try playing the campaign multiplayer on Legendary, that is some insane shit.

Speaking of which, today I FINALLY got a warthog and myself on top of the Silent Cartogropher.....yes I am a loser for trying, then I dropped it off the cliff onto the marines waiting below.