Decent Free ID3 Tag Editor??

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Vince Maskeeper, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I know XP has some basic ID3 editing built into explorer- but for large directories it tends to get hung up.

I tried out a piece of software called Zortam ID3 Tag Editor, which was OK, but costs money- and it's interface and speed are too low quality to justify paying for. It also didn't allow you to change multiple records at one time, so i spend hours copying and pasting...

I'm looking for something that will load the ID3s for an entire directory into an interface similar to a spreadsheet- and allow me to edit them. I also am hoping to be able to select entire COLUMNS of stuff (like the album title for every file, or genre, or artist) and change them all at once.

Anyone use a good app for this kind of work?

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Music match? Can you just install ID3 editing- or are you stuck with the whole giant player and whatnot?

How is it's interface for ID3 editing- is it a grid style, or are you stuck with a properties box for each of the files?

-Vince

3. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

iTunes can do what you require. Let me know if you want a screenshot of the interface.

4. Brendan Low

Brendan Low Auditioning

Vince, here is a fantastic ID3 Tag Editor that I use all the time, and it's freeware [​IMG]

mp3 Tag Tools

Sorry, but I cannot post url's just yet. However, a quick search for "mp3 tag tools" on google will yield the results. The first url provided is the sourceforge page it resides on. [​IMG]

Give it a shot, it works really well and is simple to use. There are loads of features in it. I suggest spending a couple of minutes trying out it's features on some mp3's you don't mind changing tags on first just to get the jist of it. It might seem overwhelming when you first try it out, but once you get the hang of the features, it is a breeze.

5. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

MP3Tag

Free and works good for me.

6. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

iTunes. Select a continuous group of songs of CTRL click a variety then File > Get Info and changes are made the whole selection.

7. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

8. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

tag&rename

I own a license for this if you wanna try it out [​IMG]

9. Brendan Low

Brendan Low Auditioning

So what did you go with Vince?

10. Jeremy Deal

Jeremy Deal Extra

musicbrainz tagger, I think you can search for it. Looked for something like this for a long time, this is the best Ive found

11. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

12. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

Another suggestion, even if you've settled on an app, is Foobar2000...it's a player, and an excellent one at that, and the built-in tag editing is extremely easy to use, and can do loads of MP3s at a time, like you want. You'll have to load up the MP3s, which'll probably be a bitch, but having it built into such an efficient client is nice.

13. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Another vote for iTunes. The tag editing in Winamp 5 seems to work well also.

Vince, since we have your ear, may I suggest a new area of HTF? How about a section for digital music software and hardware, where folks can discuss:
    • music ripping and encoding software and file formats
    • portable digital audio players
    • digital music receivers and servers
    • on-line music services, etc and so on

At present, this stuff is scattered around the Music, Computers and A/V Sources sections.

Just a thought. [​IMG]