decent auido card with audiophile A/D conversion?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by DaViD Boulet, May 16, 2005.

1. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Have some out-of-print vinyl and a high-end turntable with audiophile phonostage...I used to have a DAT player but sold it...and now I'd like to transcribe some of those LPs to CDR.

I need an audiophile-way to get the analog sound from the preamp into my PC to burn a disc.

Is there an affordable sound card with L/R analog in that *really* sounds good? I'm talking "high end" good like my old Tascam DA-30 Mk DAT machine (which had great sounding ADC's)?

Also would love to have a digital PCM input to transcribe from other digital sources like minidisc.

thanks!

2. Gabriel.H

Gabriel.H Stunt Coordinator

The Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 4 Pro might be what you're looking for. You can check out its details on their site. Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platimum Pro would be a little bit cheaper, but compromises a wee bit on the quality. Anyways, check out the features and decide for yourself.

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Ack! Going from Tascam to Creative is like going from Ferrari to Hyundai. [​IMG]

RME and Lynx make some high-dollar stuff. I hear on AVS the DACs in the Lynx TwoB rival home theater pre-pros in the $4k range, but something like the RME Hammerfall DSP9632 is more affordable (this is regarding playback though, I'm not sure of the recording capabilites of each).

4. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Yeah,

my key objective is a good sounding ADC...want to get that vinyl into digital in the best-sounding way I can (reasonably) afford...

thanks for the input guys. I'll check those out...

5. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

You ought to see if you can borrow or rent some audio recording gear from someone. I have used some MOTU products in a pro recording environment that would probably do what you're looking for pretty darn well. Particularly the MOTU 896 and 828. The connect to the PC via firewire.

6. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

The most important thing for me is A/D conversion quality. Would be so nice if it was an outboard device that connected via USB or something so I could easily carry it and use it with whatever PC happened to be in the vincinity of where I was recording...

Seth, I'll check out some rentals from some pro places too.

7. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor