What's new

Decent Audio Rack/Stand/Cabinet for a Reasonable Price ($150-300)? (1 Viewer)

Derek Iverson

Stunt Coordinator
People tend to call them different things, so I’ll just call them audio stands.

Anyway, I need to get one to house all of my HT components. Up until now, I’ve just had everything stacked on the top of my RPTV, but now my center channel speaker needs to sit up there and I’m not even going to think about putting my 44 lb. HK AVR-525 up there.
  • Here would be some of my preferences in an audio stand:
  • five or more shelves
  • capable of supporting forty or more pounds on each shelf
  • shelves at least 19” deep
  • 4-5’ tall
  • match my Toshiba RPTV (gray, black and silver)
  • in the price range of $150-300 (including any shipping charges)
It doesn’t really matter to me whether or not it is enclosed with a glass door or open, allowing proper air-circulation. If heat becomes a problem with my A/V receiver in an enclosed stand, I’ll just mount some quiet 120mm fans on the back; one to bring cool air in and another to send the warm air out.

I was going to buy a Tech Craft SF50 from kmart.com for only $150 shipped, but when I went back to buy it Thursday night, it was OOS! :angry:

Have any recommendations? :frowning:

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
You might as well buy those fans now because I also have the HK 525 and it gets HOT inside cabinets. Remember to leave at least 6 inches above the receiver for heat dissipation (I just took out the shelve above) and don't back it too close to the wall.

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Derek,

Hot enough for ya? ;) These Northwest 'heat waves' with the thick air can be a bit oppressive. Low 90's here feels like 105 in the Sacramento valley where I grew up.

Anyway, I have a Bello AT484 rack w/one extra shelf (it comes with four). You should be able to get something like this for $300 out the door (retail is $299 plus I think $40 for the extra shelf). They shelves will hold up to 50 pounds each (it's holding my heavy B&K AVR507 just fine). I really like this stand :D Here's a so-so pic of mine (top shelf not visible).

Here's a link to the rack for further info:

Bello racks

and you can also get a 24" deep shelf as well. Here's a cool racks/stands site...

Racks and Stands.com

Cheers,
Dan

Derek Iverson

Stunt Coordinator
Anyway, I have a Bello AT484 rack w/one extra shelf (it comes with four). You should be able to get something like this for $300 out the door (retail is $299 plus I think $40 for the extra shelf). They shelves will hold up to 50 pounds each (it's holding my heavy B&K AVR507 just fine). I really like this stand :D
I looked at all of Bell'O's stands a couple days ago. I also like their AR-880 and AT-4203A, but they are kind of expensive and the others are even more so. The AT-484 seems like the best choice for me, but I don't want to have to buy an extra shelf. That would put its price over $300.

Derek Iverson

Stunt Coordinator
I guess these are the ones I’m trying to decide between at the moment:

Elite EL-501
$158.27 + $78.73 S&H = $237.00 Total (Price-match) at J&R
http://images.jandr.com/productimage...N=1.7&CVT=jpeg
It is the same exact height of my Toshiba RPTV and matches it perfectly from what I can tell.

TechCraft RH52
$199.95 + $60.05 S&H = $260.00 Total at Consumer-Direct

This seems to match my RPTV nicely as well. It is a few inches shorter though.

TechCraft SF50
$121.93 + $59.92 S&H = $181.85 Total at Pilipino Super-store

I was going to get this from kmart.com but now they are OOS. $150 is a lot better than $180. :frowning:

TechCraft SF60
$158.12 + $60.48 S&H = $218.60 Total at The Twister Group

This is just like the SF50 except it is a bit taller (taller than my RPTV!) and has an extra shelf. Hmm…

TechCraft VR51X
$156.12 + $69.48 S&H = $225.60 Total at The Twister Group

I think this one has just a little bit too much silver.

TechCraft FLH48
$283.88 + $35.95 S&H = $319.83 Total at Electronic eBuys

Seems nice, but it comes with a hefty price tag.

Bell'O AT-484
$269.00 + $0.00 S&H = $269.00 Total at Racks and Stands (Extra 24" Shelves $65)

I like the design, but it doesn’t have five shelves and I would have to buy an extra one. I’m not sure I want spend more than $300. The four shelves it does come with are only 13¾” deep which kind of bites.

OmniMount RTA G100
$202.00 + $0.00 S&H = $202.00 Total at Racks and Stands

This seems like a good deal for the price, but they don’t sell extra shelves.

OmniMount RTA G202
$325.00 + $0.00 S&H = $325.00 Total at Racks and Stands

This isn’t as flexible as the Bell’O AT-484 in terms of shelving possibilities, but from looking at the specifications, it would seem that the shelves are a lot deeper.

VTI AR406
$265.00 + $0.00 S&H = $265.00 Total at Racks and Stands

If I were to get this one, I would get it with black shelves and silver poles. It seems kind of plain though…

BTW, this is what my RPTV looks like (Toshiba 57HX81):

Which of these do you think I should get? Should I consider any others before I make a decision between these?

Raul A

Stunt Coordinator
Just based on looks my preference is for the TechCraft FLH48. Thats a very nice looking unit.

My concern with any of the glass shelf based models is how much weight each shelf can support. I'm buying a 65 lb receiver soon and am starting to take that into consideration.

If you upgrade to an expensive receiver it will likely be heavy and Im sure youd hate to see the shelf shatter and the receiver break. :)

Derek Iverson

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I ended up buying the Elite EL-501 from J&R. I printed my list (from above) out and showed it to family and friends and they kept picking that one. I guess it is better that the shelves are made out of wood instead of glass though.

I hope it gets here before my SVS PB2+. :D

JeremyZ

Auditioning
For those of you still looking...I love my Studio Tech component rack. This thing is so sturdy that I have all of my equipment on it as well as my 36" flat Toshiba tv on top of it. Check it out here: Studio Tech

Audio Advisor has a ton of racks to look at, too.

Good luck!
Jeremy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks