What's new

December 8th Surprise: AirPods Max (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
It doesn't take much to confuse consumers.:laugh:

The cynic in me wonders if this will be a "new" way they're all hoping to dupe us into giving them our $... not that I see how (yet)... :lol:

Apple's definitely not the only one doing this, and more seems to join them, eg. CBS/Paramount's up next.

Maybe buy an ATV4K, get the AppleTV app, AppleTV+ and some additional streaming bundle (that requires AppleTV+) and even AppleTVCare and financing included for whatever price. IF you only want the basic hardware (at the expected lower upfront cost) and no AppleTVCare and financing, you'll have to jump thru major hoops to do it... kinda like buying a car, LOL...

_Man_

Last edited:

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I've got one that I ordered the Sunday after Thanksgiving sitting in front of me in its unopened delivery box. :unsure:

I bought it using iTunes gift cards bought from Target during their promotion and I got a $50 card from Apple for the purchase. So, I'll probably just keep it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I have issues with frames being dropped while watching Netflix.

There's a "stutter" effect every few seconds. I got used to it, but it shouldn't be happening.

I heard there was the same issue with The Criterion Channel on the Apple 4k TV device.

Despite this issue, I still think it's a phenomenal purchase.
As @Josh Steinberg said it’s most likely 24fps content. That’s becoming common. And AppleTV doesn’t do it. There’s a big thread about this specific problem on AVS.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I went looking for this issue last year because I was noticing stutter or judder on some content through aTV. It was almost certainly this 24fps deficiency.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It does 23.976. Not 24.000. Last I checked.

The content is encoded at 23.976 anyway so I don’t see the problem? When I check my receiver and display everything comes through as it should.

But I think in Ron’s specific case the content he’s referring to is likely 25fps (a TV show from a native PAL region) so I suspect that’s the cause of his issue.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Which content? Not sure what you’re referring to.

I’ve had judder / stutter problems on aTV and its quirks in dealing with frame rate syncing.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
It does 23.976. Not 24.000. Last I checked.

What?!?! That's a bummer!

Wonder how noticeable it'd be for me.

The content is encoded at 23.976 anyway so I don’t see the problem? When I check my receiver and display everything comes through as it should.

But I think in Ron’s specific case the content he’s referring to is likely 25fps (a TV show from a native PAL region) so I suspect that’s the cause of his issue.

No idea about Ron's specific issue, but there does seem to be some movie content encoded or at least output (from my 3-plus-yo Roku Premiere+) to my Epson FP as 24fps while most seem to be 23.976... roughly what's described in that AVS thread. And seems like it's the 4K content that's more likely to be 24fps, which seems to jive w/ that AVS thread.

That makes me wonder if that's not part of the issue causing trouble for me playing 4K movies via the AppleTV app on Roku -- I don't think it'd be the only cause, but it might very well add to it. IF Apple still hasn't bothered to fix what sounds like a simple thing to fix for their own devices, some aspect/version of the issue probably got ported in their app over to Roku.

Apple certainly doesn't seem to be on their A game at least w/ the AppleTV app even on their own devices -- this is not the only issue.

Sigh... hopefully, the new ATV4K won't be as buggy, but if these are all strictly software issues (and that particular framerate issue is 3-plus-yo), then...

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have one issue with the current Apple TV 4K device -- audio on 4K material that is encoded in Dolby Vision will sometimes get out of sync. Pausing the content and hitting play will sometimes fix the issue. The audio is never out of sync with 4K HDR10, 4K SDR or HD material -- only with Dolby Vision. Not sure if it's a hardware issue, where the current processor is having issues with decoding/processing DV, or if it's software related.

I do use the Apple TV app for viewing TV series, as the app works well for keeping track of where I left off in a series -- especially since I bounce between watching on the Apple TV 4K in the main home theater, a couple of Roku devices in other rooms, and occasionally my iPad (when we are traveling). A few times the app has lost track of where I left off, and it's a pain to scroll through all the episodes in the library section to find where I left off. Also, a few times the app will want me to pay for episodes when I had already purchased the series. That issue resolves itself eventually.

I am hoping the new Roku Ultra I recently purchased will take care of the audio sync issue I have been experiencing with Dolby Vision material. I only have one display that supports DV -- our only other 4K display is a Samsung that is HDR10 only in the master bedroom. The new Roku is still in the box, as my home theater is currently dismantled while our family room is being remodeled. The carpet is scheduled to be installed today, so hopefully I can reassemble everything tomorrow.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
The only issue I’ve ever run into with any of my TVs (two 3rd gen and two 4K models) is the 4K in the master bedroom has lip sync issues when connected to my AirPods unless I reboot the TV. It happens every time I try to watch something while using AirPods so I have gotten into a habit of restarting the device before watching anything.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I would be more excited for an Airpods Studio announcement today. The announcement may occur in the next 15 minutes.

The headsets should offer noise cancelation that meets or exceeds the Sony and Bose brands. More importantly, they should also support the new spatial audio codec so that when used with any Apple device, you will get the same outstanding immersive audio experience that the Airpods Pro offers with superior hardware technology.

I would expect these headsets to cost at least $300.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Here's the thing about iPods Max: The key market segment that Apple is going to sell these to? Assholes. The entitled jerk on the airplane. The smarmy tech reviewer. The businessman who doesn't know anything about tech or music but just needs to show the world they have the best.

These will quickly go on to be the most stolen items ever.

The backlash against Max owners will be legendary.

The tech world will debate ENDLESSLY if they are worth the price premium over the Bose 30s and Sony 1000s. Nobody will care. Assholes will buy them in droves.

I'll probably be one of them. =)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I will probably end up buying these.

However, I want to hear real-world reviews first.

I am sort of optimistic here. Apple doesn't do anything half-assed. They have managed to put out some pretty remarkable audio products.

If the reviews put these above the Bose and Sony 1000XM4 headphones, then this is certainly a product that may worth splurging for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks