What's new

Decalogue - any chance of a reissue ? (1 Viewer)

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
I was lucky enough to pick up the 3-disc Facets release from Borders for $27.99 shortly after it went OOP. But I was wondering if there was a chance that Decalogue might be released in an improved version ?
The quality of the Facets release was OK, but not that great. The picture and sound could definitely use some digital remastering. Also, it would be a great bonus for the set to include the alternate expanded versions of Parts 5 and 6 (released as feature-length films called A Short Film About Killing and A Short Film About Love respectively) as well as A Short Film About Decalogue: An Interview with Krystof Kieslowski.
Also, here's hoping that Miramax doesn't screw up the upcoming release of Three Colors Trilogy (a la Belle De Jour and Purple Noon).

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Has anybody heard news of a reissue?
I borrowed The Decalogue from a friend and suffice to say, it instantly became one of my favorite films (miniseries, whatever you want to call it).
I planned to purchase this with my refund, but I don't know if I'm willing to pay $150 or whatever the going price is on auction and used stores.
Can somebody shed a ray of light on this?

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I also have The Decalogue but would love to see it released again with Deepak's suggestions added. Unfortunately, I doubt if anyone is in a hurry to re-release it.
If Miramax screws up the Three Colors Trilogy, I will be :angry:

Richard Carnahan

Stunt Coordinator
THE DECALOGUE was photographed in 16mm, so I wouldn't expect any future DVD release to look that much better. I'm glad I bought the Image version.

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
I have the first DVD release of this one, and feel that the roughness & dirtyness of the picture actually helps the narrative; as each episode esstially deals with the sins and wrongs that humans commit upon one another through daily existence.

Even though the picture is muddy at times, this is appropriate as we never really have a clear picture of another person's heart or soul (much less our own) anyway. This adds an ambiguity and realism to the stories that better roots them as metaphors for our daily existence.

Other than fixing some of the print damage inherint in the film sources used, I feel that cleaning up the mini-series to prisine levels would remove a lot of the charm [ironic word choice here] of the series.

Regardless, I too would like to see the extended stories. Does anyone know if they have been released separately in any region of the world?

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I emailed Facets about this title recently. They said they were reissuing it late this year in a new remastered version.

THE DECALOGUE was photographed in 16mm, so I wouldn't expect any future DVD release to look that much better. I'm glad I bought the Image version.
Supposedly, the VHS release in Italy comes from much better prints.

Keep in mind that Kieslowski filmed this at 25fps, so any NTSC version will suffer from "NTSC-slowdown".

Jeff

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Did Facets say if the re-release will feature any extras?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks