1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Decades

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by oldtvshowbuff, Jan 28, 2018.

1. oldtvshowbuff

oldtvshowbuff Supporting Actor

James Beer
    Heads up, guys not only we'll see LANCER at 2 PM EST, but also CHECKMATE from 3 PM to 5 PM EST on Decades, starting tomorrow, Monday January 29, so set your recorders, you won't want to miss out on those classics!

Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  2. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

Cut to 46 minutes, although still more intact than the ones we recorded off of USA network years ago and at least remastered.

Darby67 likes this.
  3. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Screenwriter

Bryan
    ...And or time-compressed :(

4. oldtvshowbuff

James Beer
    CHECKMATE has the look of being transferred from 16mm prints, but look OK to me. The Revue logo has been plastered over with the Re-TV logo. As far as I know, that is an app on Roku, so has anybody seen that?

Darby67 likes this.
  5. ChrisALM

ChrisALM Supporting Actor

Chris
    I was wondering what the Checkmate prints would look like. If Checkmate were remastered from the 35mm originals, I would love to see that released on DVD.

Darby67 likes this.
  6. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

From Universal? Keep dreaming.

7. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

I prefer compressed to cut any time. At least you aren't missing any content.

Darby67 and Ron1973 like this.
  8. ChrisALM

Chris
    Yes, it is unlikely from Universal, or anyone else, even Mill Creek. But I like the dream. :)

9. actionsub

actionsub Extra

Mike Stidham
    Timeless Media put the entire series out in 2010. Not sure what the source material was, but the episodes looked quite good quality-wise. Like most TMG, they just tend to fade out at commercial breaks, though. That, and the fact that the second season episode title sequences were clipped from many of the episodes, were the only complaints I had.

Darby67 likes this.
  10. rjd0309

rjd0309 Second Unit

Robert
    I found the Timeless image quality to be soft. The few off-air recordings that I have of Checkmate episodes are noticeably sharper.

Darby67 likes this.
  11. ChrisALM

Chris
    The Timeless set had a few episodes that had parts that were too dark, and most of the episodes were soft looking. My understanding was Timeless sourced these from 16mm prints from collectors, so they used whatever they could get. I don't know what material Universal would be providing to Decades, but even if they were from 16mm, they might look better than the sources used for the Timeless set.

Darby67 likes this.
  12. oldtvshowbuff

James Beer
    Just saw "Ghost Story" that I recorded a few days ago, and that Karen Black was quite a screamer in that episode where she receives warnings from her dead husband over the telephone!

Darby67 likes this.
  13. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Cinematographer

Still surprised that they haven't gotten to Peyton Place-- after all it looks like DECADES is getting into the Fox shows. Also, it would be nice if they approached Sony for shows like The Farmer's Daughter and Love on a Rooftop.

Darby67 likes this.
  14. sjbradford

sjbradford Agent

sjbradford
    Antenna TV was supposed to show Farmer’s Daughter a few years back, when they made a deal with Sony to show a lot of the old Screen Gems library. But Sony realized that the tapes from the last run of the show, 30 years ago on CBN cable, had degraded so much that they weren’t usable. And no one was willing to pay to strike new prints from the original negatives.

Osato and Darby67 like this.
  15. Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

Get TV is owned by Sony, so I'm surprised they don't show more old Screen Gems shows. They did rerun The Girl With Something Extra, a few months ago. Would love to see them air The Farmer's Daughter, but It must be really expensive to strike new prints. I guess they don't think it would be profitable. Must be a lot cheaper just to rerun other shows from other studios. I guess they'd rather pay other studios for their programming instead of investing in their own library..

Osato, JamesSmith and Darby67 like this.
  16. Message #16 of 18 Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    B-ROLL

B-ROLL Screenwriter

Bryan
    I believe there was already a deal for some of the Screen Gems properties with Antenna TV

"Antenna TV's program schedule relies on the extensive library of films and television programming currently owned by Sony Pictures Entertainment, which comprises more than 270 television series and over 4,000 films. The network maintains an Eastern Time schedule, with individual programs airing at the same time in the remainder of the country, though by effect, aired locally in earlier time slots from the Central Time Zone westward."

http://antennatv.tv/shows/

17. Message #17 of 18 Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

I wonder how long that deal lasts? I know Bewitched and Jeannie aired on Me-TV not too long ago.
    BTW, I totally forgot that Get TV recently began airing their Norman Lear sitcoms, Good Times, All in the Family, and Sanford and Son, so they have been showing more shows from their library--just not the obscure ones.
    UPDATE: Looking ahead on Get TV's schedule page, I noticed a show I never heard before: The Fantastic Journey, a short-lived 1977 series starring Roddy McDowell will air Mar. 12, so I guess they are showing some rare TV shows from their library..

18. rcbrad

rcbrad Agent

Rick
    Speaking of Decades, the programing seems to be rather dull lately. The ran a lost episodes binge month last fall (which was great), but they are still rerunning the same few sitcom episodes of these types of shows over and over. They do not seem to have monthly binge themes anymore or much of anything noteworthy or fresh. I missed the Pistols and Petticoats episode! Now that was a fresh show to see.

By the way does anyone know what the RE TV: logo is from at the end of these old B & W shows on Decades? I was wondering what the logo is referring to or the meaning of this logo?