1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

DECADES- CBS Stations switching to StartTV 9/3/18

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Bob Gu, Aug 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    The CBS owned and operated sub-stations will drop DECADES and begin broadcasting a new network called StartTV, September 3, 2018.

StartTV will concentrate on reruns of drama series with strong female leads: The Closer, The Good Wife, Medium, Cold Case, Profiler, and The Division. Some of these may not start until January.

Like DECADES, StartTV is a partnership with CBS and Weigel Broadcasting. DECADES will still be on Weigel owned stations that don't carry StartTV. I am not sure if CBS will still be involved with DECADES.. I hope that Weigel will market DECADES to other stations in areas where the CBS subs have StartTV.

I hope DECADES is picked up my market. I was hoping to record Lancer Season 2 when they get to it, and will miss those binges, and Dick Cavett.

B-ROLL, Flashgear and Darby67 like this.
  2. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    That's funny. Over the last few months, I went through the entire seven seasons of Medium on Amazon Prime and I'm working my way through The Closer now. (Also Monk and Yancy Derringer.)

3. potnoodle

potnoodle Stunt Coordinator

Will F
    The fact that CBS is pulling the plug on a service they co-own is a bad sign for the future of Decades. With the loss of the CBS o&o stations (all are major markets), it seems hard to see how that service can survive in the long run. Attracting other stations in those dropped markets won't be easy, if even the CBS stations don't have faith in Decades. Really unfortunate as they tried to do something a bit different in the retro TV market.

4. Message #4 of 26 Aug 4, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    Arthur Powell

Arthur Powell Stunt Coordinator

Arthur
    So they're dropping a retro channel I watch for a channel with a bunch of modern shows I have no interest in. At least they could keep Our Miss Brooks (Eve Arden should count as a strong female lead, right?).
    Edit - I just looked up my local affiliate to see if CBS was involved, and I'm glad to say that it isn't. Yea!

5. MartinP.

MartinP. Second Unit

Martin
    I read an article stating that START-TV would be added to the CBS stations. It said "added" not replaced.
    but I can't seem to find out what it'll mean for sure. I have no interest in START, it'll be finished before it starts
    with me. Did anyone read anything about if this is indeed replacing Decades?

Oddly, on the Start-TV website it says something about if you have inquiries contact [email protected]

6. potnoodle

potnoodle Stunt Coordinator

Will F
    When Weigel made the announcement last month about START, they indicated that most CBS o&o's would be replacing Decades with the new service. They also said they were trying to find new affiliates in the CBS markets. This comes from their press release from mid-July.

MartinP. and Bob Gu like this.
  7. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

I hope the DECADES stays available here. I enjoy that station, while I have no interest in watching Start-TV.

Darby67 and MartinP. like this.
  8. Tom.W

Tom.W Stunt Coordinator

According to the press release in July, Decades will be moving to one of the digital subchannels where MeTV is located in the Chicago market. Hopefully a similar move will happen in other markets.

Darby67 likes this.
  9. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Cinematographer

Anyone know about New York? I get DECADES through Verizon's FIOS service.

Darby67 likes this.
  10. Message #10 of 26 Aug 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

I just called Weigel and they said it is in addition to Decades, not in place of.

ScottRE, Ron1973 and Darby67 like this.
  11. Message #11 of 26 Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

FIOS in the NY area a notice in the Message Center posted July 23 that states Decades was being removed on or about September 3rd and replaced by Start TV. It further said that this was a provider change not a FIOS change. No mention of Decades being picked up by another sub channel.

12. Message #12 of 26 Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Second Unit

Benjamin
    My CBS affiliate, KOIN 6 of Portland, OR, is owned by the Nexstar Media Group, so as it is not a CBS O&O station, I don't think Start TV will replace Decades here. Correct me if I'm wrong!

~Ben

13. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

Where would I find this?

14. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

Why can't FIOS just pick up a Decades feed from another source? They run ME-TV from a New Jersey station.

15. Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

With the remote click on menu. From menu chose Message Center.

16. Message #16 of 26 Sep 3, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    If you lost your DECADES, today is the day to rescan your tuners to find your new station.

My new DECADES sub-channel showed up last night showing the DECADES Binge of POLICE WOMAN, and the local CBS DECADES sub-station was showing it too.

This morning my CBS sub is still showing DECADES programing, but the onscreen schedule is showing the StartTV schedule.

Added 9/4/18: My CBS sub has switched over to StartTV programing.

17. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Cinematographer

All that the website says regarding the return of DECADES to NYC is: "Coming Soon". And when is THAT?

18. Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

https://deadline.com/2018/09/metv-weigel-broadcasting-cbs-tv-stations-start-tv-the-good-wife-the-closer-1202455265/

MeTV Owner Weigel Broadcasting And CBS Stations Launch Start TV, A Network For Female-Centric Procedurals
    by Dade Hayes

September 4, 2018 7:30am

• [​IMG]

The multicast network, which just went live, features syndicated titles like The Closer, Medium, The Good Wife and heart-tugging 2000s drama Sue Thomas, FBEye, about a deaf FBI agent. With CBS stations as its initial foundation, Start will reach 42% of U.S. households at launch, with 60% coverage projected by the first quarter of 2019. Emphasizing live viewing, it features an ultra-predictable schedule with shows airing seven days a week in the same timeslots.

[​IMG]
    Plans for the launch were announced in July, but Deadline had an exclusive interview about Start with the executive steering the network for Weigel, company vice chairman Neal Sabin.

“We never say ‘no men allowed’ and we don’t say ‘programming for women,'” he noted. Down the line, Sabin said the network will aim to be a more general entertainment network. Even so, the female-forward launch strategy “has gotten a tremendous response at ad agencies,” he said. And Weigel is producing a series of interstitials under the banner My Start Story that will run for 30 or 60 seconds, with longer versions online and possibly fueling an unscripted series in the future. The spots highlight both the women with ties to Start programming and women working in fields like medicine, sports and law whose real-life stories connect with Start’s lineup.

Multicast TV, an emerging sector now valued at hundreds of millions of dollars, takes its name from the technological ability to broadcast multiple signals to viewers. The networks are sometimes called “diginets” for their digital functionality and origins in the 2000s transition to high-definition broadcasting, which created new slots on the dial. Among the dozens of multicast networks that have sprung up in recent years are Bounce, Antenna, Comet and Buzzr. Many are owned by station groups such as Weigel, E.W. Scripps, Sinclair Broadcast Group or Tribune Media, which see the growing arena as a valuable complement to the challenged traditional station business.

[​IMG]
    The top multicast networks reach sizable audiences and have comparatively low overhead in terms of staffing and programming costs. In terms of daytime total viewers, for example, Weigel’s MeTV ranked No. 6 in August among all networks measured by Nielsen across broadcast and cable, ahead of established rivals like HGTV and ID. In prime time, it was No. 19 with its comfort-food diet of classics like M*A*S*H and The Andy Griffith Show. The family-owned Weigel, based in Chicago, also operates the networks Decades (another partnership with CBS stations), Heroes & Icons, and the Fox Television Stations teaming, Movies!

“What has helped is that technology has enabled groups to air us without denigrating their own signal,” Sabin said. New tech standards being tested by broadcasters under the trade name ATSC 3.0 will open up even greater opportunities for interactive content and higher-quality transmissions.

While new digital tools are a boon to multicast networks, the macro trend of cord-cutting “cuts both ways,” Sabin said. “People who cut the cord and have a TV antenna tend to watch our networks in higher numbers. Though I do worry a little about the people who cut the cord and don’t use an antenna.”

19. Message #19 of 26 Sep 4, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

It means they are hopeful one of the local TV stations will pick it up but none have yet. Or perhaps a local channel has picked it up but they have to wait until their contract with their current supplier expires before they can start broadcasting Decades.
    Many major cities lost Decades and it says coming soon. One, Denver Colorado, lists a station where it is moving with a coming soon. Others like NY and San Francisco just say coming soon.

It took several years for ME TV to show up in the NYC area and even longer for it to be broadcast in HD. Hopefully we won't have to wait as long for Decades.Then it may end up on a station that preempts blocks of programming for infomercials.

http://www.decades.com/wheretowatch/

20. JQuintana

JQuintana Stunt Coordinator

Johnny
    I love MeTV, but I don't think I'll invest much time with this new female-centric StartTV, doesn't really interest me.

Jeff Flugel likes this.