1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

DECADES- CBS Stations switching to StartTV 9/3/18

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Bob Gu, Aug 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    The CBS owned and operated sub-stations will drop DECADES and begin broadcasting a new network called StartTV, September 3, 2018.

StartTV will concentrate on reruns of drama series with strong female leads: The Closer, The Good Wife, Medium, Cold Case, Profiler, and The Division. Some of these may not start until January.

Like DECADES, StartTV is a partnership with CBS and Weigel Broadcasting. DECADES will still be on Weigel owned stations that don't carry StartTV. I am not sure if CBS will still be involved with DECADES.. I hope that Weigel will market DECADES to other stations in areas where the CBS subs have StartTV.

I hope DECADES is picked up my market. I was hoping to record Lancer Season 2 when they get to it, and will miss those binges, and Dick Cavett.

B-ROLL, Flashgear and Darby67 like this.
  2. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    That's funny. Over the last few months, I went through the entire seven seasons of Medium on Amazon Prime and I'm working my way through The Closer now. (Also Monk and Yancy Derringer.)

3. potnoodle

potnoodle Stunt Coordinator

Will F
    The fact that CBS is pulling the plug on a service they co-own is a bad sign for the future of Decades. With the loss of the CBS o&o stations (all are major markets), it seems hard to see how that service can survive in the long run. Attracting other stations in those dropped markets won't be easy, if even the CBS stations don't have faith in Decades. Really unfortunate as they tried to do something a bit different in the retro TV market.

4. Message #4 of 15 Aug 4, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    Arthur Powell

Arthur Powell Stunt Coordinator

Arthur
    So they're dropping a retro channel I watch for a channel with a bunch of modern shows I have no interest in. At least they could keep Our Miss Brooks (Eve Arden should count as a strong female lead, right?).
    Edit - I just looked up my local affiliate to see if CBS was involved, and I'm glad to say that it isn't. Yea!

5. MartinP.

MartinP. Second Unit

Martin
    I read an article stating that START-TV would be added to the CBS stations. It said "added" not replaced.
    but I can't seem to find out what it'll mean for sure. I have no interest in START, it'll be finished before it starts
    with me. Did anyone read anything about if this is indeed replacing Decades?

Oddly, on the Start-TV website it says something about if you have inquiries contact [email protected]

6. potnoodle

potnoodle Stunt Coordinator

Will F
    When Weigel made the announcement last month about START, they indicated that most CBS o&o's would be replacing Decades with the new service. They also said they were trying to find new affiliates in the CBS markets. This comes from their press release from mid-July.

MartinP. and Bob Gu like this.
  7. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

I hope the DECADES stays available here. I enjoy that station, while I have no interest in watching Start-TV.

Darby67 and MartinP. like this.
  8. Tom.W

Tom.W Stunt Coordinator

According to the press release in July, Decades will be moving to one of the digital subchannels where MeTV is located in the Chicago market. Hopefully a similar move will happen in other markets.

Darby67 likes this.
  9. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Cinematographer

Anyone know about New York? I get DECADES through Verizon's FIOS service.

Darby67 likes this.
  10. Message #10 of 15 Aug 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

I just called Weigel and they said it is in addition to Decades, not in place of.

ScottRE, Ron1973 and Darby67 like this.
  11. Message #11 of 15 Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

FIOS in the NY area a notice in the Message Center posted July 23 that states Decades was being removed on or about September 3rd and replaced by Start TV. It further said that this was a provider change not a FIOS change. No mention of Decades being picked up by another sub channel.

12. Message #12 of 15 Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Second Unit

Benjamin
    My CBS affiliate, KOIN 6 of Portland, OR, is owned by the Nexstar Media Group, so as it is not a CBS O&O station, I don't think Start TV will replace Decades here. Correct me if I'm wrong!

~Ben

13. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

Where would I find this?

14. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

Why can't FIOS just pick up a Decades feed from another source? They run ME-TV from a New Jersey station.

15. Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

With the remote click on menu. From menu chose Message Center.