Dec 3rd Release Reviews: RUSH, Happy Times, Kiss Before Dying etc. (with screen caps)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary Tooze, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze Producer

Here are my review of a few releases coming out next Tuesday Dec 3rd, 2002.
    RUSH, USA 1991

[​IMG]

Edition Details:
    • Region 1 encoding (US and Canada only)
    • Trailer - anamorphic (2:20)
    • Commentary by director Lili F. Zanuck
    • "Filming Rush" featurette (Non-anamorphic) 8:40
    • "Tears of Heaven" music video by Eric Clapton, 4:3, (4:40)
    Wonderful DVD from MGM! Solid anamorphic picture. Great 5.1 sound... and this is also a great film! I saw no visible edge enhancement, the image was clear and the black levels solid, if not penetrating. The disc includes a featurette "Filming Rush", an anamorphic trailer and a commentary by the director Lili F. Zanuck. What I like best about this is the price; $15 CAN from CNL.com (converts to $9.54 US). A great deal! 5/5.
    Full Review with screen caps, bitrate chart etc. is HERE
    Happy Times, China 2000

[​IMG]

The Sony Classic DVD is film-sourced and exhibits vibrant (as usual Zhang Yimou films) true colors, deep blacks but I have seen sharper detail. It is not extremely bad, but I think it could have been better as it has a tendency to look hazy/soft at times. There are no extras, unless you include 3 trailers of previous Zhang Yimou films distributed through Sony. 3.5/5
    A Kiss Before Dying, USA 1956

[​IMG]

Edition Details:
    • Widescreen anamorphic 2.25:1 aspect ratio
    • Letterboxed non-anamorphic trailer (2:15)
    • Contains the Pan and Scan version on the opposite side of the DVD
    DVD Release Date: December 3, 2002
    Keep Case
    Chapters: 16
    Another solid DVD from MGM! Anamorphic, Vibrant colors, adequate black levels. The original mono sound is acceptable. I saw some pulsing images in the middle of the film, but nothing untoward. There are no real extras unless you include a non-anamorphic trailer which ends with a huge spoiler for the film. Interesting film with adept performance from Wagner. Nice to see the 2.25 aspect ratio treated well. 4/5.
    The Frightened City, UK 1961

[​IMG]

Edition Details:
    • Widescreen anamorphic 1.78:1 aspect ratio
    • Letterboxed Anamorphic trailer (1:30)
    • Poster and Still Gallery
    Keep Case
    Chapters: 24
    Nice to see this film out on DVD and Anchor Bay has done a good job with the 1.78 aspect ratio. Sean Connery is as suave as ever just prior to his Bond super stardom. Very Film-noir British crime/thriller, but the DVD image is quite dark at times, even the menus (which I think was done intentionally). There are no subtitles and it may have been a good idea as the Kings English requires translation at times. Nice little poster and still gallery and the trailer looks good anamorphically displayed. No commentary or featurettes, but none-the-less a fine product if you are in the mood. 4/5
    Cheers,

2. Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze Producer

and also, due out next Tuesday...
    The Criminal (aka 'The Concrete Jungle'), USA 1960

[​IMG]

Release Information:
    Studio: Anchor Bay Entertainment
    Theatrical Release Date: January 1, 1960
    Edition Details:
    • Widescreen anamorphic 1.62:1 aspect ratio
    • Letterboxed Anamorphic trailer (2:58)
    • Talent Bios on Joseph Losey and Stanley Baker
    Keep Case
    Chapters: 23
    Comments: Grim "meat and potatoes" crime drama. The Anchor Bay DVD image is cloudy at times, but deep blacks and contrasted shadows due this film adequate justice. No Extras except a letterboxed trailer and talent bios. A good partner film for Anchor Bay's corresponding release "The Frightened City" with high levels of grit and British toughness. As with the Frightened City, a good film if you are in the mood, especially if you like Prison flics. This probably was in need of restoration, but the marketability of the film did not warrant it.
    Full review with more screen caps. bit-rate etc. is HERE

3. Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze Producer

I had some incorrect info for the times in 'Happy Times'... I have fixed it.

Regards,