What's new

Debbie Reynolds Show, the Paul Lynde Show and Nanny and the Professor. (1 Viewer)

ian McLachlan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian K McLachlan
I really enjoyed watching these three comedy series. Do you think that there is any chance of them being released now on DVD please? Thanks.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I really enjoyed watching these two comedy series. Do you think that there is any chance of them being released now on DVD please? Thanks.
Nanny and the Professor is FOX (good luck). The Paul Lynde Show is Sony/Columbia-Screen Gems it appears as though SD masters have been created. I believe the last time I saw them was on Antenna TV very late night/early morning. I could see MillCreek issuing them on DVD.

The Debbie Reynolds Show was a Filmways show and appears to be managed by M-G-M ...

ian McLachlan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian K McLachlan
Many thanks for your reply. So The Paul Lynde Show seems the more likely one to get a release?

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
The Paul Lynde Halloween Special was released on DVD by S'More Entertainment on 10/2/07: The Paul Lynde Halloween Special DVD.

I purchased it when it was first released and it is quite entertaining. It features Billie Hayes as Witchiepoo from H.R. Pufnstuf, Tim Conway, Roz Kelly, Florence Henderson, Billy Barty as Gallows the Butler, Betty White, Donny and Marie Osmond and Kiss.

ian McLachlan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian K McLachlan
Thanks Darby67. I've bought it too and enjoyed it. I always find Paul Lynde amusing to watch but he had a rather sad life. I don't think he quite realised how entertaining he was as a performer.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The Paul Lynde Halloween Special was released on DVD by S'More Entertainment on 10/2/07: The Paul Lynde Halloween Special DVD.

I purchased it when it was first released and it is quite entertaining. It features Billie Hayes as Witchiepoo from H.R. Pufnstuf, Tim Conway, Roz Kelly, Florence Henderson, Billy Barty as Gallows the Butler, Betty White, Donny and Marie Osmond and Kiss.
I remember seeing that special when it originally aired. Funny stuff! :D

The Election Day gag and "We're not wearing makeup!" line from the Kiss band members continue to be stand outs in my flawed memory bank!

CHEERS! :)

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Thanks Darby67. I've bought it too and enjoyed it. I always find Paul Lynde amusing to watch but he had a rather sad life. I don't think he quite realised how entertaining he was as a performer.

Agreed, Ian. He is quite over the top in his Halloween Special, but that's part of his charm. I also still fondly remember his vocal performance as Templeton the rat in 1973's Charlotte's Web.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I remember seeing that special when it originally aired. Funny stuff! :D

The Election Day gag and "We're not wearing makeup!" line from the Kiss band members continue to be stand outs in my flawed memory bank!

CHEERS! :)

Tony,

I remember both bits well. My tastes in entertainment are eclectic and I do have a soft spot for kitsch like the Halloween Special. It's been a while since I last watched it so I might have to remedy that with a viewing this evening.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Sean (Darby67), you left out Margaret Hamilton in her witch drag from The Wizard of Oz! I have read that it's the only time she ever dressed as the witch again, and that Paul Lynde got her to do it.

When that DVD was first released (in 2007!) it was on the top ten sales list for a month at the local Virgin Megastore on Sunset Boulevard. I was hoping other Paul Lynde specials would surface on DVD. (Around the same time there was some kind of major KISS music release...I wonder if that's perhaps why the Paul Lynde special got released at the time, too?)

As for his series, does Antenna-TV still air it? Around 2018 they began airing it on Saturdays and paired it with Dom DeLuise's one season series Lotsa Luck, which at one time did have a DVD release. I recall the Paul Lynde show quality was very hit or miss. Some episodes looked awful and they didn't air all of them, for some reason, I don't know why. But they reran the ones they did have over and over. If they ever released any of the series I would get it.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
Sean (Darby67), you left out Margaret Hamilton in her witch drag from The Wizard of Oz! I have read that it's the only time she ever dressed as the witch again, and that Paul Lynde got her to do it.

When that DVD was first released (in 2007!) it was on the top ten sales list for a month at the local Virgin Megastore on Sunset Boulevard. I was hoping other Paul Lynde specials would surface on DVD. (Around the same time there was some kind of major KISS music release...I wonder if that's perhaps why the Paul Lynde special got released at the time, too?)

As for his series, does Antenna-TV still air it? Around 2018 they began airing it on Saturdays and paired it with Dom DeLuise's one season series Lotsa Luck, which at one time did have a DVD release. I recall the Paul Lynde show quality was very hit or miss. Some episodes looked awful and they didn't air all of them, for some reason, I don't know why. But they reran the ones they did have over and over. If they ever released any of the series I would get it.
Antenna TV is now airing 2 episodes of The Paul Lynde Show on Saturday mornings early at 5 and 5:30 a.m. eastern time.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

It was shot on film so it probably needs a remaster or even full-on restoration, which would cost more than Sony is probably willing to expend on a short-lived 1970s show.

Sesame Street would like a word with you. So would Mister Rogers.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
It was shot on film so it probably needs a remaster or even full-on restoration, which would cost more than Sony is probably willing to expend on a short-lived 1970s show.

Sony won't spend a dime on ANY show it can't make a profit from.

I won't go through the whole "Farmer's Daughter" situation AGAIN...There's no way 101 Picture Negatives and 101 Sound Negatives "went bad" & "got damaged" in climate controlled, archive management overseen vaults. It's a show with only 30 color episodes (They actually shot two episodes in season three in B&W for some reason AFTER the color switch - and they weren't "carry overs" either!) with limited exploitation opportunities.

I was shocked when Screen Gems (Sony) CASEY JONES started airing on GET TV a few weeks ago - but I knew a set of masters were made for Australia about 26 years ago - they aired on Ausie's FX! So there must have been an NTSC set made at the same time.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

You are telling this to a guy with a Silver Spoons avatar. You're not just preaching to the choir, you're preaching to the preacher.

And Sony has let uncut versions of select episodes of some shows seemingly slip through the cracks of time.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean

Thanks for the correction, Martin. How could I forget, Margaret Hamilton! :oops:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Thanks for the correction, Martin. How could I forget, Margaret Hamilton! :oops:
Maybe you just need a nice cup of coffee
1619182543836.png
;)!

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

I won't go through the whole "Farmer's Daughter" situation AGAIN...There's no way 101 Picture Negatives and 101 Sound Negatives "went bad" & "got damaged" in climate controlled, archive management overseen vaults. It's a show with only 30 color episodes (They actually shot two episodes in season three in B&W for some reason AFTER the color switch - and they weren't "carry overs" either!) with limited exploitation opportunities.

I was shocked when Screen Gems (Sony) CASEY JONES started airing on GET TV a few weeks ago - but I knew a set of masters were made for Australia about 26 years ago - they aired on Ausie's FX! So there must have been an NTSC set made at the same time.
Denny, thanks for the heads-up about Casey Jones! I'll be all over that later today. Never heard of it but pretty sure it'll be uncut in the 40-45 minute time slot I'm seeing in their schedule and on DISH. Probably nice looking prints too though you can never be sure. Wish I'd known from the get go but I hope they cycle through the 32 episodes a second time around. getTV seemed to have abandoned B&W Classic TV series for some time now. Excellent!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks