Debate between two TV's.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Fitzsimmons, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

Sony 36FV13, 36" Wega. Vs. A Samsung 16:9 47" projection.

The Wega is $1300 and the Samsung is $2000. My cable tv broadcasts in 4:3, and the same with my PS2 games, but when I watch DVD's they are of course widescreen. I like the Wega and all but am afraid that I may regret not taking the next step to a widescreen hdtv ready monitor. The Samsung offers progressive scan too.

Any suggestions?

2. Dwight Amato

Dwight Amato Stunt Coordinator

I recently we in a similar boat, and I went with the widescreen set. I never considered the Samsung because no stores around me carried it, I went with the Panasonic PT47WX51, a 47" widescreen HDTV. Also, I don't believe the Samsung does 3:2 pulldown.

I have been VERY pleased with this set. The picture is SO much bigger then a 36" tube. DVD's look huge and super clean. Even 4x3 programming looks pretty good on just most. If you want it in standard 4x3 mode it is still a 37" picture, but you do not want to have those gray bars on the side very long, it can cause burn in rather quickly.

That said, a 16x9 set is not for everyone. I still have mostly watch broadcast TV on my standard 27" set. If I had to watch everything on just one set, I might go with a larger then 36" 4x3 that does the 16x9 squeeze.

Best of luck with what you choose. But once you get used to watching DVD's on a widescreen, it will be tough to watch them on other sets...

3. Ron Shaw

Ron Shaw Stunt Coordinator

How close are you going to be to the set? As far as picture quality goes, I find a direct view tube better than a projection system. Better contrast, brightness and most important, convergence. So if the viewing distance isnt too far, I would favor the Wega.

4. Mark Fitzsimmons

10 feet is about the viewing distance. I am pretty much ruling out the widescreen TV because I still watch a whole lot of 4:3 programing. What is 3:2 pulldown?

So at this point it's the Wega vs. a 4:3 projection HDTV with a 16:9 mode. If I were to get a HDTV monitor today, is it going to be future proof? Or is the HDTV standard as we know it know going to change?

5. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

In my opinion, for most TV watching you should sit farther from a 4:3 TV than from a 16:9 with the same diagonal, because the 4:3 TV usually shows low-resolution images, and the 16:9 usually higher-resolution.

A 16:9 TV is therefore ideal. You position the seating close to it for watching DVDs and HDTV, and then you are also at the right distance for the smaller 4:3 picture.

If you get a 4:3 TV and use it for widescreen (even with vertical compression), it is backwards. The typical low-resolution 4:3 picture is big, and the typical high-resolution 16:9 picture is small.

Let me know if this isn't clear...

6. Mark Fitzsimmons

I follow, but don't see the relevance to my question. Now that 16:9 isn't an option, what do you think is a better buy.