What's new

DeathRow Review (1 Viewer)

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
What I want to know is what the hell was EGM thinking when they gave this game a 4.5/10? Only one person even reviewed the game. Yeah, I know it's just one guy's opinion, but no way in hell does this game deserve a score that low. I really want this game to see well so we see a Deathrow 2 with internet play built in.

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
YES! I beat the Convicts! Finally!

I was up 10-9 with about 30 seconds to go, and I just threw the disc down the field whenever I got it... Then when I got the disc with 15 seconds remaining, I ran around like an idiot avoiding everyone as the clock ran down! Woohoo!

I also wailed on the Black Dragons in the next circuit, and I WILL be buying that dojo level when I get the Unlock Creds.

I freakin' LOVE this game. It's a shame none of my friends seem to enjoy it like I do.

Brian J Dupuis

Second Unit
I hope no one takes EGM reviews seriously. I know I don't.
You place way too much faith in your fellow man than I do. I'm certain that there's whole legions of mouth-breathing, globular smacktards that base their entire purchasing decision on what INSERT INANE GAME MAG/SITE HERE says. Hence why INSERT INANE GAME MAG/SITE HERE is still in business. Ridiculous, I know, and why I get so frustrated in these situations.

It goes to show that money and hype make the world go 'round.

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
Come on over, man, we'll play 'til we pass out. Anyone else coming?
Dude, I wish I could. :)
Anyone on here in the NYC area that wants to get together for some Deathrow action? ;)
All I get from my friends when they play it is "Well, it's no Halo." That comment annoys the living hell out of me. Gotta find some way to convert them!

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Come on over, man, we'll play 'til we pass out. Anyone else coming?
LOL...as I type this I'm now sitting in a hotel room in Monroe, NC. I'm here on business. If it was a bit closer to Cary, NC, I might have actually taken you up on that :)
Aaron

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Ok, I know this thread is really old, but I must chime in and say that Deathrow is by far the most fun 2 player sports game I've played in a long, long time.

Those of you who've not picked it up, YOU MUST GO OUT NOW AND GET IT. Go Ahead, we'll wait.

Ok, now that you have a copy:

I haven't played single player at all, and I hear it's brutal (and I look forward to trying it one day) but I am currently going through a "Conquest" with a friend. It is a total blast.

I like the fact (although some of you hardcore guys may be sickened by this) that you can enter a code to unlock everything. This helps us who don't have dozens of hours to unlock the stuff ourselves. Right off the bat, we're able to play with any team in any arena. Again, I do plan on going through the single player game in the future, but to be able to enjoy everything in the game when playing 2 player is a nice touch.

Anyway, this post was mainly to encourage anyone who hasn't tried this to give it a try. You can find this game for $40 or less at almost any retailer who carries it.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
It's a shame that the company that made Deathrow didn't bother to market it, it could have been a big seller.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
How did it do in sales? Even though XBox Live isn't over here yet, it would be great if a DeathRow 2 with Live support was to be made.

I still play it from time to time. It was a fantastic game that should have reached the masses.

Even better is 3 player, I was playing with 2 of my mates a few weeks ago for hours, so much yelling and screaming at each other, just plain fun. - its good having the computer play goalie the whole time because with 4 human players it can be quite hard to block the goals. We spent about an hour trying to beat the First Blitzers.

Multi-disc is just plain chaotic.

Dan B

Screenwriter
15,997 as of the end of the year (NPD chart only)! Certainly deserved more than that. It just proves that gamers are stupid. :D

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Okay,
On your guys' advice, I picked up Deathrow this afternoon. So far, it's pretty cool. Question: On the conquest menu where it shows the team, what does BW stand for? (i.e. "Win Value/BW")

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
James,

Thanks. That makes sense.

One thing about the game that I wish they had done is make the Conquest mode feel more like a season rather than a simple ladder. It takes away from the sports feel. I'd like to see teams get better or worse, pick up free agents (or unload them), etc. The mode feels too static - the teams are just waiting, frozen, until I get to them. I'd prefer something more dynamic.

David Glenn

Second Unit
FYI - Deathrow is $14.99 at ebgames, $12.99 used.
I picked it up yesterday and I'm having a blast. I'm having the most fun with some older game purchases (i.e.: Baulder's Gate I recently purchased for $9.99)
I too want Deathrow 2 with XBL Support. I would also like an option to toggle off the profanity so I can kick my daughter's ass. Perhaps that would help the sales as well (not kicking my daugter's ass, the toggling off part) :D .
Any news on a Deathrow 2?

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Last I heard, Deathrow had disastrous sales figures, so I don't think we'll be getting a sequel. But it would be nice if they made it anyway :)

David Glenn

Second Unit
What else was released around the same time that contributed to the poor sales?

IMO, with the right upgrades/enhancements and marketing, they could turn this into a best seller.

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
When I took Joey's survey, this is the first title I thought of when asked what games should have been online, though it can be played online through XBConnect. I think the reason this title sold so poorly is that the name and cover picture lead you to think it's some sort of "boxing in prison" game. I saw absolutely no advertising for it, and it was only this thread that clued me in to its existence. Anyone know the up-to-date sales figures?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks