What's new

DeathRow Review (1 Viewer)

Brian J Dupuis

Second Unit
Yeah, Poison and others, this game has the gaming goods. I got to put a little bit more time in this one last night, and I'm finally getting the hang of the controls and action and had some serious fun. I actually chose to keep playing this instead of trying to crank up a Live! session, so you can guess I like it pretty well.

I haven't even really scratched the surface of this one yet, as I'm still in the first "round" of opponents in the conquest mode. Supposedly there are some seriously awesome arenas yet to come and some incredibly hard opponents as well.

Oh do I wish this was Live! compatible... I seriously think that would be the killer app for Live!, bar none. 4-on-4 human opponents = yummy.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
I think people are playing it on XBconnect already so you might want to check there.

The last team is ridiculous, the game actually keeps track of how many attempts you've taken at them and the most you've lost to them by. I'm having a rough time since I didn't turn the difficulty down to easy from the default. I almost beat them last night. I was up by a point with 2 seconds left and they scored at the buzzer to tie it.

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
On everyones' advice, I found the last copy of Deathrow at an EB semi-near my house. I was a man on a misison to find a copy of it. My friend found it at a music store the same day.
I'm loving it so far. I played a 3 player game, and really got into it. I suck at it though, but I'll get better I'm sure. Thanks for the heads up on this game everyone!

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I finally found the game yesterday (it was just before closing at the store I thought wouldn't stock it).

Thanks for the recommendations, the game is so much fun. I've only just started so I haven't performed many of the more elaborate tricks. I just kick the crap out of the opponents and occasionally score a goal.

Just one quick question, which view do you guys play the game in? The action view just feels more intense to me, it can be annoying not knowing if someone is behind you though.

Brian J Dupuis

Second Unit
Just one quick question, which view do you guys play the game in? The action view just feels more intense to me, it can be annoying not knowing if someone is behind you though.
I play in action view, though the developers say that to unlock everything in the game, you'll have to beat it in sports view too :). As far as not knowing if someone is behind you, I generally assume that there's always someone behind me, so I'm never surprised when I get leveled :b.
I'm getting the hang of it a bit more each time I play, and really starting to dig it. And damn if that dojo level isn't beautiful... love that wood flooring!

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I got a chance to play it with a friend last night at his place and I found it to be like Mutant League Hockey with Tourettes Syndrome.

It seemed pretty pretty fun to play, and there was an unbelievable amount to unlock.

I just don't know if I'll have the urge to pick it up right away, as GTA: Vice is taking up a ton of my time. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try it out eventually though.

Glen

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
3 words:
XBOX LIVE ENABLED!!
After buying the game a few days ago it SCREAMS to be played online and I SOOOOOOOOOO wish that it was.
Besides that the single player is a blast. I had a hard time getting used to it but once you do man its a trip. I take the convicts and just beat the living crap out of everybody. I Ko'd the entire blitzer team in the middle of the second round on one match:D. FUN!

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
I actually ended up beating the first blitzers the first time I tried them, although I had the conquest set on easy for my first go at it. We were down pretty bad the first two quarters, but once I modified my strategy we handed them their butts. I couldn't believe that my team (the original Blitzers) actually outplayed the champions in the last 2 quarters, we beat em by 13 points.

Here's what I did: Stay upcourt, never take your player back to the defensive. If the First Blitzers get the disc down on your end for any amount of time, they are going to score. The key is to piss off their goalie while the rest of them are away. You're not really gonna injure him or fight him, just piss him off bad enough to chase you. Typically, you can get the goalie and another golden boy on your butt pretty fast. Just keep dodging (X button) and draw them off to the side of the stadium. When your team comes back upcourt with the disc, they will have an easy 1-3 scores on an undefended hoop.

Also, you can get the disc and just dodge around (X again) on their side of the stadium. If you do this for longer than 10 seconds, at least 2 of the goldies will take after you, and you can dump the disc off to another friendly for a quick one-timer goal.

Whatever you do, unless you havr the demons or some other insane team, don't fight with the First Blitzers. They are just too darn tough.

PS - For all this, I still can't play worth a hoot in the FPS mode, so I still can't beat the darn droids!

Great game, good luck to all!

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
After buying the game a few days ago it SCREAMS to be played online and I SOOOOOOOOOO wish that it was.
Romier,

Have you thought about trying to play it using XBconnect? I've heard that it supports Link Play, so you may be able to give that a whirl.

If it's good to play online, I might end up caving...

Glen

JamesH

Supporting Actor
Joe, try it on normal, the first Blitzers will take your ass and hand it back to you!

I had somewhat of an oddity last night, not sure if it was a glitch or a hidden super move. I was playing the Mercs, and one of them grabbed me and did the move where they grab your legs, spin around a few times, and throw you. The only thing is, when he did this, somehow it ended up to where he was standing on his teammate's shoulders while he spun me, and I ended up getting thrown from 12 feet up and instant injured.

I don't know if that was supposed to happen or not, but it was still pretty cool.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if that was supposed to happen or not, but it was still pretty cool.
heh heh, sounds painful James. I can't get enough of the closeline by the Convicts. Pick up a boost attack powerup and just have at it. I break my all time record today and I KO'd the entire Sea Cats team to win the match in 2:10 seconds, first round. :D

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I knew it was about time to have my ass kicked. I was using the Protectors and was playing against the Convicts and was KO'ed in the second round. :) This is one hell of a game though.

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
Nick,
Same thing happened to me earlier tonight. My friend and I went up against the Convicts in the Rookie League, and they stomped us BAD.
I enjoyed that Prison level immensely though. The jump pads added some neat stuff to the gameplay, but we still got our asses handed to us.

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
OMG this game kicks ass!! I haven't had this much fun with a sports-type games since SSX. A friend and I played for 5 hours straight on Saturday. I'd do all the ball handling while he was the bruiser (mostly beating up the opposing goalie).

We managed to KO a lot of the teams on the medium difficulty setting. But some of the upper teams like the Demons and Sentinels are damn hard to even injure.

The only time we got KO'd was when we accepted the challenge from the Titans...it wasn't pretty.

Anyway, I love basically everything about this game, right down to all the cussing...which fits the game and adds a hell of a lot to the atmosphere. I play this game a lot more than even Vice City.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I went up against the Convicts in the Rookie League, and they stomped us BAD.
The convicts are not ones to be F***ed with. They have the highest aggression meter at the outset of the game and of the starter teams they are the most serious can of whoop ass. Its almost unfair:). The only team I've had any trouble against with the Convicts is the challenge by the Droids. Those damn machines are a pain in the ass!

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
I'm gonna attempt to beath the Convicta again this morning, although I'll be doing it by myself. No friends to help me out today. :frowning:
I'm going to try and play a non-aggressive game, not starting any fights, etc., to see if maybe that will help me out.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I was using the Protectors and was playing against the Convicts and was KO'ed in the second round.
Yep, same thing happened to me. I pretty much cruised through the other teams and was beating the Convicts by 5 goals when I was KO'd. I haven't played a rematch yet. It's hard for me to find time to play with also having Vice City and still playing DAoC. I wanna play them all!!! :D
I unlocked a new player for my team (Protectors) but he doesn't seem to be available during the game. When I select my starting lineup there's only the original 4 players available. Do I need to do something else to make him available?

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I unlocked a new player for my team (Protectors) but he doesn't seem to be available during the game. When I select my starting lineup there's only the original 4 players available. Do I need to do something else to make him available?
If he joined your team or you "bought" him during the conquest mode you should have a big blue double arrow like icon that says "Substitute Player" at the selection screen before the match. You should be able to bring him in there.
As for the convicts, no aggression is your best bet. Stay away from them, juke and jive and concentrate on making goals and lots of them. If they start pounding your people focus and reupping everyones health with the powerups found on the level. Less money you have to spend to heal:D. The Sea Cats can really have there way with the convicts if you play them right. They are fast, agile and can score easily. Just dont let them get caught:frowning:.
Ill be honest with ya, playing as the convicts on my Conquest mode I didnt even try to score at all. I simply focused on beating the living hell out of the opposing team. I won every one of my matches. The funny part is that they were usually a good bit ahead in score:D.
Of course no on the next division I cant quite do that, have to do double duty, score and whoop ass. Its getting hard.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
I just unlocked the Demons, talk about a bad attitude team. For kicks I put them up against the Seacats in a 4:00 min/rd single match, it didn't last but 1 min into the 2nd round. About halfway through the 1st round I jacked the attack to full and it was just insane; Seacats lying everywhere. When one would get up there would be 3 demons running over to beat their volumptuous aqua-butts back down. I was cracking up as I could barely get a shot in before a teammate was giving my opponent a suplex or backbreaker (with 2 other demons waiting to kick them on the ground.)

This game is pure gold...

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Yep, the Demons are the MOST AGGRESSIVE team in the entire game...I have redubbed them with my patented "You/they are a bad ass" term: APES!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks