What's new

Death Wish II - Paramount? (1 Viewer)

Will K

Screenwriter
I noticed on a recent TV airing, the print concluded with a Paramount logo. Have the home video rights reverted to Par from Cannon/Warner? I'd like to know when I can expect to add it to my Brosnan DVD collection.

I think Cannon/City Films produced Death Wish 2 for Columbia. I don't recall Paramount having anything to do with the film (they do own the USA rights to the first film). Maybe the TV channel you watched showed a print from a country that Paramount were involved in.

The first 2 films are being released in France this month.

http://www.dvd-fr.com/dvd/dvd.php?id=7272

Expect good (and uncut) transfers.

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
I hope DEATH WISH 2 is uncut. A lot of cult/horror boards have been discussing a recent Brazilian DVD of DW2, and mention that the uncut version has a lot of really, really extreme violence and sadism (including some harsh violence towards women in the rape scenes - one reviewer felt that the uncut version of 2 was nastier than I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE). This sounds like grim material but it'll likely be a testament to the extremes that mainstream exploitation cinema reached during the 70's, and I'd like to see it on disc.

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
I should have been more specific. I'm hoping that the upcoming French disc will be uncut. I'm not holding out at all for the chance of an uncut Region 1 release from Paramount, but like the idea of it seeing it get a release from another region.

Esten

Supporting Actor
The UK disc is apparently out.Has anyone got the disc,and can confirm if it's the R or Unrated version?

As stated earlier,the french disc is out.Are they indeed uncut and anamorphic?

Thankies.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Paramount does not own homevideo rights to DEATH WISH II in the United States. They belong to MGM, as inheritors of both the Cannon (who produced the film) and Orion (who released it to theatres) libraries.
Paramount does posess TV rights to DEATH WISH II, III, and possibly IV, from a syndication deal Cannon made with Viacom years ago. I do not know if this deal is for perpetuity or if after a window MGM will get the rights back. I don't even think the esteemable Mr. Blythe could answer this, as TV syndication is not really his department.

Richard Ringenbach

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone heard any news about a region 1 release? I sure hope we will see it happening soon and with an uncut version!
Thank you!
Richard Ringenbach

DaveRU

Stunt Coordinator
I got the French R2 2-disc digipack of Death Wish 1 & 2, two weeks ago.

It's definitely uncut :emoji_thumbsup:

I got mine from www.amazon.fr
It's called "Un justicier dans la ville" in France.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I recently got the French double pack Death Wish and Death Wish 2 and, never having seen these uncut before, was amazed at just how much has been cut from previous theatrical and home video UK versions.

Will K

Screenwriter
It appears the question has been answered. According to DVDfile, Death Wish 2, 3, and 4 will be released by MGM in February. Woo-Hoo!

It'll interesting to see if these will be uncut versions like MGM DVD's are sometimes.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
This movie had a weird history on video- the original VHS and Beta releases were on Warner, but Vestron did the laserdisc and CED formats. Anyone know why that was?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks