What's new

Death Valley Days : The Complete 14th Season : The Ronald Reagan Years 2 (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
its the only time i have ever felt compelled to throw the slipcover away at the trashcan as i exited the store, which is exactly what happened

That's probably what I ought to do with all those releases that I have-- throw out that ugly slipcover.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^Exactly... I've purchased every one of these releases at WM, often for less than Amazon. I've looked at both stores here every time I go in (about twice a month) and come up empty every time. They've also not yet received that Rifleman S4vV2 release. I know for a fact that both would sell very well in this area. Those type of releases always have.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
^Exactly... I've purchased every one of these releases at WM, often for less than Amazon. I've looked at both stores here every time I go in (about twice a month) and come up empty every time. They've also not yet received that Rifleman S4vV2 release. I know for a fact that both would sell very well in this area. Those type of releases always have.

And I went into the Wal-Mart in Simpsonville on release day for the third-season (1988-89) release of L.A. Law (the last one, mysteriously, to date), and for some godforsaken reason, it wasn't there!

I mean, after all, they had the first one (1986-87; didn't get that one on release day, but still got it), and the second one (1987-88; did get that one on release day), but not the third one, and I wonder why.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
2019 is almost over and not a release this year, damn shame, but that is up to Rio Tinto /Element 5 Media LLC, to continue to see if shout will continue to release this title. No it doesn't have the fan-base of Gunsmoke, but my word it has been great to see this show restored, and upconverted

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan
2019 is almost over and not a release this year, damn shame, but that is up to Rio Tinto /Element 5 Media LLC, to continue to see if shout will continue to release this title. No it doesn't have the fan-base of Gunsmoke, but my word it has been great to see this show restored, and upconverted

Last time I asked Shout on Twitter about possible future releases, they replied that it was doubtful, because of the low sales of the previous sets. A big bummer if you ask me, because the show is very good and deserves a proper release.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
If Shout cannot complete this series, maybe another company can step in and get the remaining seasons released on DVD. Since the restoration work has been completed, it would seem at least a possibility.

at that point i would be happy, since it doesn't have any special features, and the HD restoration is already done, i am surprised that Cinelicious wasn't the one to release this title. Another option would be Mill Creek, but at that point they could just release a huge blu ray box complete series, they seem to be really jumping into the fray now taking on all of the "Ultraman" series and if given good materials, release some great sets, some issues but if done properly, it could be a wonderful release.

Last edited:

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Releasing S1-3 and then skipping to S13-14 doesn't give anyone confidence that all of the seasons will ultimately be released. While I understand the desire to promote the Ronald Reagan tie-in, I think people who are really interested in the show want the entire series, not just a few releases of seasons here or there. Low sales might have been inevitable going about it this way.

On the positive side, there are five seasons released, so there must be some level of interest in the series on disc. I hope some company figures out how to tap into that and get the entire series released. Bluray would be outstanding, but the DVDs look really good and I'll gladly take that if it's the only option.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Would love to see Shout release some more Death Valley Days, and then maybe the last two seasons of Zane Grey, another one apparently stalled due to poor sales. But the hard reality is there aren't enough of us fans to support those efforts all by ourselves. If I were independently wealthy I would have outbid Shout! and bought Timeless Media for my very own, then funded them until every 50's and 60's western was released.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Releasing S1-3 and then skipping to S13-14 doesn't give anyone confidence that all of the seasons will ultimately be released. While I understand the desire to promote the Ronald Reagan tie-in, I think people who are really interested in the show want the entire series, not just a few releases of seasons here or there. Low sales might have been inevitable going about it this way.

On the positive side, there are five seasons released, so there must be some level of interest in the series on disc. I hope some company figures out how to tap into that and get the entire series released. Bluray would be outstanding, but the DVDs look really good and I'll gladly take that if it's the only option.

My guess is that Shout!'s confidence was already gone after releasing season three, but gave it one more shot going with Reagan and color seasons to try and boost sales. When that didn't work they called it quits for good. As previous stated, the costly work is done, so someone else may take a gamble on it, at some point.

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan
4.5 years later and no one has taken another gamble on this wonderful show.

I wonder... now that MPI has finally completed the Ozzie & Harriett project, could they potentially try a show like Death Valley Days? Or would it be too risky in the long run and not worth possibly tanking their company over such an undertaking...

If not MPI, then what other studio could potentially look into releasing it? There must be at least one out there, right?

Ugh, a western fan can dream, I guess?

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
The fact it has been on cable and streaming on and off may hurt those chances. Especially, given that some of the streaming is in HD. O&H began streaming in conjunction or slightly after the releases, so there was less competition.

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
4.5 years later and no one has taken another gamble on this wonderful show.

I wonder... now that MPI has finally completed the Ozzie & Harriett project, could they potentially try a show like Death Valley Days? Or would it be too risky in the long run and not worth possibly tanking their company over such an undertaking...

If not MPI, then what other studio could potentially look into releasing it? There must be at least one out there, right?

Ugh, a western fan can dream, I guess?
Death Valley Days was remastered by SFM Entertainment prior to it's debut on Encore Westerns in 2015. On or about February 1st 2024 for the very first time, the entire series began streaming in HD on Roku and recently returned to Prime in complete form. There will never be a physical media release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks