1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Death Valley Days : The Complete 14th Season : The Ronald Reagan Years 2

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by dana martin, Jan 3, 2018.

1. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    That's probably what I ought to do with all those releases that I have-- throw out that ugly slipcover.

2. phenri

phenri Second Unit

Paul
    I am finally able to pre-order this after a long wait and not finding it at my local Walmart.

Flashgear likes this.
  3. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

What's the deal with Walmart? They have a three-month exclusive and don't carry the product? I just don't get it.
    Anyway, thanks everyone for the heads up about the wide release, going to pre-order right now.

4. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    ^Exactly... I've purchased every one of these releases at WM, often for less than Amazon. I've looked at both stores here every time I go in (about twice a month) and come up empty every time. They've also not yet received that Rifleman S4vV2 release. I know for a fact that both would sell very well in this area. Those type of releases always have.

Ron1973 and bmasters9 like this.
  5. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    And I went into the Wal-Mart in Simpsonville on release day for the third-season (1988-89) release of L.A. Law (the last one, mysteriously, to date), and for some godforsaken reason, it wasn't there!

I mean, after all, they had the first one (1986-87; didn't get that one on release day, but still got it), and the second one (1987-88; did get that one on release day), but not the third one, and I wonder why.

6. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    2019 is almost over and not a release this year, damn shame, but that is up to Rio Tinto /Element 5 Media LLC, to continue to see if shout will continue to release this title. No it doesn't have the fan-base of Gunsmoke, but my word it has been great to see this show restored, and upconverted

7. JustARandomStan

JustARandomStan Stunt Coordinator

Stan
    Last time I asked Shout on Twitter about possible future releases, they replied that it was doubtful, because of the low sales of the previous sets. A big bummer if you ask me, because the show is very good and deserves a proper release.

Flashgear and ChrisALM like this.
  8. ChrisALM

ChrisALM Supporting Actor

Chris
    If Shout cannot complete this series, maybe another company can step in and get the remaining seasons released on DVD. Since the restoration work has been completed, it would seem at least a possibility.

9. Message #29 of 32 Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    at that point i would be happy, since it doesn't have any special features, and the HD restoration is already done, i am surprised that Cinelicious wasn't the one to release this title. Another option would be Mill Creek, but at that point they could just release a huge blu ray box complete series, they seem to be really jumping into the fray now taking on all of the "Ultraman" series and if given good materials, release some great sets, some issues but if done properly, it could be a wonderful release.

10. ChrisALM

ChrisALM Supporting Actor

Chris
    Releasing S1-3 and then skipping to S13-14 doesn't give anyone confidence that all of the seasons will ultimately be released. While I understand the desire to promote the Ronald Reagan tie-in, I think people who are really interested in the show want the entire series, not just a few releases of seasons here or there. Low sales might have been inevitable going about it this way.

On the positive side, there are five seasons released, so there must be some level of interest in the series on disc. I hope some company figures out how to tap into that and get the entire series released. Bluray would be outstanding, but the DVDs look really good and I'll gladly take that if it's the only option.

Flashgear likes this.
  11. GMBurns

GMBurns Second Unit

Glenn
    Would love to see Shout release some more Death Valley Days, and then maybe the last two seasons of Zane Grey, another one apparently stalled due to poor sales. But the hard reality is there aren't enough of us fans to support those efforts all by ourselves. If I were independently wealthy I would have outbid Shout! and bought Timeless Media for my very own, then funded them until every 50's and 60's western was released.

ChrisALM and Flashgear like this.
  12. smithbrad

smithbrad Screenwriter

Brad
    My guess is that Shout!'s confidence was already gone after releasing season three, but gave it one more shot going with Reagan and color seasons to try and boost sales. When that didn't work they called it quits for good. As previous stated, the costly work is done, so someone else may take a gamble on it, at some point.

ChrisALM and Flashgear like this.