1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Death Stranding

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Bryan^H, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

I'm looking forward to this.
    lw.

Sam Posten likes this.
  2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I'm purposefully trying to not pay too much attention to this until the reviews come out. It's just so bizarre and so "Kojima" that I don't want to get my hopes up in the wrong way.

Sam Posten likes this.
  3. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

It is going to be weird. That is for sure.

Sam Posten likes this.
  4. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

Love it! Weird, cinematic.
    Great music, cut scenes( a lot of them). Graphics are better than they should be.

Sam Posten likes this.
  5. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I'll nab it when it hits $20. Too weird for me to finish, weird enough I gotta try it.

Bryan^H likes this.
  6. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Cinematographer

Will probably try this at some point, dunno. Early consensus seems to be that it has fantastic visuals, great and bizarre story, and absolutely tedious and boring gameplay.

Bryan^H likes this.
  7. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

The reviews (especially negative) would have you think the gameplay is like watching paint dry. I can't disagree more. I love the exploration, and trekking across the countryside. The mission deliveries is the game, because that is the character you play. You are Sam Porter Bridges. But everyone is different, and I understand why others would feel this is boring...especially if the story falls flat for them.

I have always just liked the Metal Gear games from Hideo Kojima. This is the first game of his that I can't stop thinking about. I am hooked.
    This game has officially ruined the argument that games are not art.

Jeff Cooper likes this.
  8. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

Agreed, Bryan. The game loop is arresting. It won't be for everyone, but my journeys have all been unique. The asynchronous online mechanisms are also cool. Interacting with other people's structures can be very rewarding, especially if you come across them exactly when you need them. Graphically it's astounding. The visual design is just stellar. It reminds me of a game you might dream about, then try to explain to someone else while the dream slips away. Some of its images and sounds really stick to you.

I think it's worth picking up on sale if anyone's on the fence. I think it is worth experiencing at least once. But the game throws a LOT at you. If you're not in the mood for "video game BS" and just want to get on with the game, it won't be for you you. There's lots of menu navigation and careful strategy when planning your treks, and navigating the tutorial section feels like someone playing an elaborate joke.

The most thoughtful criticisms from people (who have finished the game) have been about its story and its payoff (or lack thereof). I can't speak to this because I haven't finished the game, but I don't doubt it. Kojima has style, and things "happen" in his stories, but his characters are often ciphers without character arcs.

Death Stranding is a game that is probably meant to be finished over a long period of time. Many critics threw 60 hours at the game in the span of two weeks, and were (probably rightfully) incensed that they didn't get the narrative rewards they were expecting after investing so heavily. I'm taking the game in shorter bursts, with tempered expectations, and so far I'm really enjoying the experience.

Bryan^H likes this.
  9. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

Perfectly said. You just managed to convey my feelings about this game in a way I could not. When friends asked me about it, I just drew a blank. I told them it is a unique gaming experience. But you nailed it when you say it is like a dream. I've actually had surreal/weird dreams (or nightmares) like this game. I wonder if Kojima based this game on a dream he had?

I really do love it. So far it has been a perfect gaming experience. 10/10.