Death Race 2000 new edition - anamorphic?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Vince Butler, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Vince Butler

Vince Butler Agent

I noticed that a special edition of Death Race 2000 was released yesterday and it has a widescreen transfer (finally)! I forgot to check for it in the store yesterday, and I can't find anything online to confirm whether the transfer is anamorphic or not. Anyone know?

2. Charlie O.

Charlie O. Supporting Actor

I remember reading some where Roger Corman stating the open matte transfer is the way its meant to be seen. Anyway, let's just hope its the original X rated cut this time around.

3. Brian_Johnson

I got it yesterday, and yes, it's anamorphic.

4. Niko Nykanen

Niko Nykanen Stunt Coordinator

Great News!
    What are the extra features on the disk?
    And how is the transfer?

Gonna order it now.

5. Charlie O.

Charlie O. Supporting Actor

From

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...-3174250?n=130

Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1
    Number of discs: 1
    Rated: R
    Studio: Walt Disney Video
    DVD Release Date: December 13, 2005
    Run Time: 78 minutes
    DVD Features:

* Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono)
    * Commentary by: Roger Corman and Mary Woronov (Unknown Format)
    * Playing the Game: Looking Back at Death Race 2000
    * Original theatrical trailer

6. Niko Nykanen

Niko Nykanen Stunt Coordinator

Ah!

edit:
    A commentary too? That is fantastic. Can´t wait to get to hear that!
    [​IMG]

7. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Is this not faux-widescreen? In that it wasn't made for WS, not just some "director's preference" thing. I guess we'll hear soon enough how it looks...

8. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    Having had the video since the early days of VCR, I am quite familiar with this movie. I did pick up this latest incarnation and the picture and sound are excellent considering the production of this flick.

That said, I find myself saying (for the first time) that I prefer the open matte presentation that I have become accustomed to. In about half the scenes, the composition is just bad. I see where Corman prefers the open matte presentation. A pity the DVD could not contain both versions. I stiil enjoyed the flick but will keep an eye out for the original DVD release.

9. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

That won't happen with it being released by Disney.

I saw one of the upcoming titles, the Sandra Bullock film FIRE ON THE AMAZON, was only being released in the R rated version when previously it also had an unrated release.

That is the thing that I could never figure out. Disney and Corman do not go together. Corman knows that Disney won't release a lot of their films. And Corman's films aren't exactly Disney material.

Maybe they are just looking for more genre material with Dimension now gone. But, it doesn't make much sense.

10. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Gary Seven: thanks for your thoughts. I'd actually like to see what this looks like in WS.

I remember having this title on my want-list for a couple of years before I could finally get a fairly clean open-matte version. It seems this movie has been pretty butchered on DVD. I vaguely recall some reviews calling one DVD version the worst thing that's ever been put on the medium (haven't seen that version, believe it was the Image one).

Anyway, was watching Corman speak on another disc yesterday. It's pretty obvious, as if we didn't know, but Corman is all about making money. Whatever does that is the way he goes. I guess the Disney thing was most profitable. It's plain he will cut scenes or whatever during filming if a $1 in won't bring $10 back (say). He admits it. I think it's why so many of his pics seem to end "abruptly", or seem to be missing some "continuity" scene.

11. TripC

TripC Extra

DR2K is completely enhanced. It looks great on my Hitachi, but then again, everything does.

12. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

TripC, try the original Highlander disc! Betcha it breaks the Hitachi streak! [​IMG]
    BTW, my friend just got a 57" Hitachi CRT and LOVES it!

d

13. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    ^ I didn't know they made CRT's that big. My God, it must be heavy. But yeah, if you have the space, the larger CRT's look fabulous. Biggest I've seen was in the low 40's.

Anyway, another apparent "reference" disc for every possible DVD and video flaw is the Image version of this very film! Check out some reviews of it for a laugh.

14. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Yeah, Mitsubishi made a 73" crt set!
    I had a kickass Mits. 55" Diamond CRT set tweaked. Was awesome. I had to sell it when I came west. Now I have an awesome Optoma DLP PJ and a 92" screen which is BIG in the "Woah!" department but can't match the blacks of the Mits!

[​IMG] d

15. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member

Doug

These are rear projection CRT sets. We're not talking 57" tubes here. [​IMG]

I'm thinking about picking up this new version but am a bit concerned about the cropping thing.

16. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig

[​IMG] Oh! That's different then. But the best rear projections still look the best I've seen so far. We use 6'x24' screens on ours at work (very sophisticated systems actually)...a little bigger than 57". I wonder what the biggest flat cathode ray tube is, it could look fabulous, and heavy.

You know, people always talk about Corman's preferred or intended ratios. Frankly, I think he "preferred" whatever was handy and cheapest. Mainly cheapest. It's not like he'd have an "artistic" preference, is it? Still, the movie was made a certain way with some framing in mind, or no framing if cheaper. I suspect open matte.

But I wouldn't mind seeing this version, also wish they had included the open matte as well so I could trade the old disc, wouldn't seem so bad rebuying then. I think the sound on the last one was PCM Stereo (how I marked it in my DB, package doesn't say, but may have been PCM mono?), no "Dolby anything" markings. Will check if anyone cares...[​IMG]

17. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    The film was made in 1975 for theatrical release. Standard widescreen (non-anamorphic) ratio for theatrical releases in 1975 is 1.85:1, which is what the DVD appears to be. It was most likely shot open-matte to protect for television broadcasts - just as 99% of all films presented theatrically in 1.85 are shot.

18. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    yea mits made a 73 inch crt. [​IMG]

19. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig

Well, you never know, I don't keep close track (we're into projectors). In the last decade Mits has been an almost invisible brand here too. Anyway, CRT = cathode ray tube, which an RPTV may or may not use, so an RPTV shouldn't be referred to as a CRT.

Thanks Peter. You have a good memory, or maybe you've even screened this lately. I haven't seen it in a theater since ~79-80, where it and RnRHS and Rocky Horror showed just about every weekend at midnight at a favorite theater, "cult" favorites and always a party (the only theater that allowed you to bring in alcohol).

20. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

sorry for the confusion. I meant CRT Rear Projection sets which are fast going the way of the do-do.

[​IMG]