What's new

Death Metal/Black Metal. I don't get it? (1 Viewer)

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
As long as we are on the subject... I second the entombed and immortal...... Freaking great bands... If you can find them, check out the following band "embrionic death", not the new band, but the one that had the 15-17 your old kids playing.... Incredible..... Another band I really liked, but dont know if they have anything out is immulation.... Some others:

Doom
Cannibal Corpes
Death
Obituary
Sepultura (beneth the remains,arise)
Entombed
Immortal
Immulation
Morbid Angel
Carcass
Fear Factory (first album, but I love all there stuff)

That is all I can think of right now.......... I really like the sound of obituary and death..... Great bands!

R~

kevitra

Second Unit
C is for Cookie, as

Genital lacerating, anal asyphyxiation
Blockade of bowel passage, def¥cation, hemmorage
Cadaverous mutilation, metamorphial radiation
Devourance of arteries, decapitated extremeties
Cranial excavation, cerebral liquidation
Brain turned to soup, ears are dripping goop

--Cannibal Corpse

Now how can you not like that? :)

GregYo

Auditioning
I still have a place in my heart for Cannibal Corpse whenever I listen to the Skull Full of Maggots demo. Good to hear a mix of American and Swedish death metal bands mentioned in this thread. Where are the Germans?

I'd like to hear some opinions for the best "drop bass" effects in the death/grind genres (besides Mortician, duh). My vote goes for "Ursa Major" by Circle of Dead Children. I think Suffocation had one on Pierced from Within, but I don't know what song. It doesn't have to be "drop bass", just a really, really thick low end.

If you WANT to like the vocals but don't, then I would suggest a stiff drink and attending some grindcore gigs. Monsterous vocals and retarted lyrics will continue oppose intelligent and melodic vocals until there is an united effort to deny vocalists an audience across several metal genres.

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit
i have a question, do people here consiter bands like lamb of god, between the burried and me, chimera, children of bodom ect death metal, or more of a more heavy metal sound, just with a growler.
oh and i nearly died (im exagerating a tad, but still) at a C.O.B show.
i was at a show at recher 2 weeks ago for children of bodom, and that pit was fucking insane. i had 3 people hit their asses (or feet) directly on my head from crowd surfing (thankfully 2 of them were chicks who don't weigh too much most of the time), nearly broke my arm during the song "in your face" especially for the line "i dont' give a flying fuck mother fucker...." mainly becuase, everyone started jumping, and the floor started started breaking out into a full on hardcore pit. i finally got out of the area after the song was over. i almost nearly lost my jacket as well. .

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
I stopped pigeon-holing these kinds of bands by genre a long time ago, and just call them metal bands. If someone asks what kind of metal a band plays, I try to list some comparable bands (which can be kinda hard when describing the brilliance of Children of Bodom [especially "Follow the Reaper"]).

I've heard Lamb of God called everything from "death metal" to "mallcore." I think they sound like a more brutal version of Pantera with less "shredding."

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter

That is a good example... I love lamb of god.. but a lot of people don't like them because they are "mallcore"....... I dig em thou..

R~

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
"Mallcore is a derogatory term used for nu metal and other forms of music by people who consider themselves fans of "true" heavy metal music. The term is supposed to mean that the music is only modestly unsuited to be heard in a shopping mall as opposed to the more aggressive "true" bands, or that it is marketed to mall-going teenagers."

R~

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Lamb of God, Killswitch Engage, Bleeding Through, and Hatebreed are the bands I most often seen referenced as "mallcore," which is kinda funny, since most of the kids I see at the mall wear Slipknot t-shirts.

I think "death metal" is a term that unfairly labels a wide number of bands. Children of Bodom, Dark Tranquillity, Arch Enemy, and In Flames are usually lumped into the "death metal" category, but their musical styles are completely different from each other (and WAY too melodic) to "deserve" the label.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Are you guys aware Obituary released a album last year - Frozen in Time.

I had no clue, my brother put a copy in my hand last week when I was working in the garage.I was suprised.

Its....fuckin....awesome! Really. Get it. Now.

This thing just flows,one song into the next beautifully and I had a smile on my face the whole time :emoji_thumbsup:!!

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
JonZ...

Hell yeah I was.. I have it to... The only thing is it kinda reminds me of the end complete album... But it is the obituary.... Freaking love these guys... If you ever get a chance to see them live go do it... I think they put on a great show......

FYI.. Black metal is dark and fast music using melodic development to express its themes. Of all the metals, this is the most communicative with the modern listener, expressing nihilism and a heroic anti-social assertion of the self. Evolving simultaneously with death metal, this genre includes all of the technique and rhythmic intensity of the former with more emotive and comprehensible poetic communication within the music.

There are two views on the genre. One views black metal as a very specific form of music that must adhere to a particular 'style' in order for it to be a part of the genre; while the second considers the lyrical and philosophical/political ideology of the music to take more precedence in defining the genre itself, rather than 'style'.

Their influence is most apparent in the Satanic or pagan imagery, anti-Christian lyrics and occult themes

Don't get this confusesed with Death Metal/Grind Core/Gore Metal etc.. While they sound alike.. what they sing about are completely different......

R~

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
The irony to me is that a lot of the people who call rap "noise", are actually fan of this type of thing :laugh:.

--
H

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don

I don't exactly know how to word this without angering SOMEBODY, so PLEASE take this with the "happy" but curious spirit I'm trying to put across without the use of emoticons: This is a BOLD statement. How is so-called "black metal" the most communicative with the modern listener? I think it depends on the listener. Who do you consider a "modern listener"? True, "black metal" is dark, fast, and melodic, but so are Exodus, C.O.B., and Arch Enemy, and no one's ever gonna call them black metal.

While ensconced at my local yuppie-overrun watering hole a few Fridays ago, I encountered a group of guys and girls who looked completely out of their element. I noticed them at first because one of the two beautiful girls had extremely high cheekbones, way too much eyeliner (but somehow didn't look the least bit Goth), and the blackest, shiniest hair I've ever seen. Then I noticed the guys they were with were wearing Emperor and Burzum t-shirts (among others). It dawned on me that they probably foreigners, and after a few awkward attempts at conversation, I found out they were all from Norway, and all very into the Norwegian metal scene. I hoped we were gonna have long conversations about the state of worldwide metal past and present, but the language barrier proved to be a bitch...

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Don..

No worries from me... I got the definition from webpedia.... I agree.. For me I was using it as general term to let people know there is a difference between death metal/ gore metal/ speed metal/ black metal...etc.........Mainly focusing on black metal.. I wish I had the link to a site that had excellent definitions about the genera.

R~

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit
would Six Feet Under be consitered death metal. (i saw them open for chimera in august, and the singer actually scared me)

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Rhett,

Glad to hear that definition wasn't your own personal assessment of the genre, because it sounded awfully one-sided (and kinda scary, when you consider the terms "nihilism" and "a heroic anti-social assertion of the self," especially since this metallic sub-category is connected to ritualistic murder and destruction of property) and definitely the opinion of someone who prefers black metal over other subdivided categories of metal.

For a good laugh, check out the "10 Worst Black Metal Pictures of All Time" over on ruthlessreviews.com. Actually, they're up to 20 pix now. It's a hoot.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"The irony to me is that a lot of the people who call rap "noise", are actually fan of this type of thing"

This genre also has some of the best musicians you will ever hear. The drummers are especially talented. But as someone who plays guitar some of guitarists in this genre are beyond exceptional.I mentioned Chuck Schuldiner before and I dont care what anyone says, the man was a God who belongs up there with the great guitarists known to music. He didnt just bash out riffs but had a technical ability that raised him above the rest(and he never took a lesson in his life)

I think most death metal is crap. But its like anything else, and theres some really good stuff out there as well.

There are a few rap artists I do like (The Beasties,Public Enemy)but for the most part,Im not a rap fan. When they start playing their own music and stop sampling Ill reevaluate it.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don

You just reminded me: I worried about all this sampling nonsense in the past "because these kids today have no idea about the original artists and blah-blah-blah" (remember, after "Wayne's World, " "Bohemian Rhapsody" became a hit song for the second time...but a LOT of kids thought the title was "Bohemian Rap City"?). Then one day it dawned on me that I don't CARE what kids today think...

Check out this link for some very on-topic shenanigans:
http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/top10/10wbm.html

And, regarding the initial post (all those years ago), though the Cookie Monster comparison has always been around, my favorite description of really cheesy (read: bad) death metal was "Walnuts in a Blender."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks