Death Knell/SACD-DVDA

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack Kelsey, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Jack Kelsey

Jack Kelsey Agent

One just has to skim thru the Dec 2002 Editorial in Stereophile Guide to HT to realize that the coming battle re HDDVD and Blu-Laser or whatever is going to be the final nail in the SACD/DVDA future.

These two camps have danced around so long GOING NOWHERE that they have made it inevitable they will be (actually are already) IRRELEVANT.

Too bad - and when you read the SGHT piece about 'coming HD wars' one even has to wonder about what else will become irrelevant.

(Then there's the 'sideshow' going on with the recording format conflicts)

2. Bryan Guth

Bryan Guth Agent

Remember, it only becomes irrelevant if consumers allow it to happen. We control what formats fly and what fails based on what we buy (and keep) and discuss with others.

3. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

It depends on how you look at it. All formats will eventually be dead or irrellevant. Five or ten years from now there will be a better way to watch The Godfather or listen to Miles Davis' Kind Of Blue. But if I want to listen to Kind Of Blue today, the best way is with SACD. Whatever comes in the future may, and probably will be better but that doesn't help us now. I would rather enjoy what is available today. Just my two cents.

KrisM

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

[​IMG]

5. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Jack,
    MLP is not specific to DVD-Audio, and could be applied as the method for lossless compression of a movie's soundtrack.
    The assumption here is that they're willing to give up 6-10Mb/second of bandwidth for audio alone, assuming 24bit/96K input.
    In addition, MLP is capable of up to 64 channels @ 24bits/192K at present, so it would be possible to distribute surround DVD-A @ 24/192K on HD-DVD.
    The 64 channels capability is intended for studio consoles BTW, not for release in consumer products [​IMG]
    Regards,

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John said:

7. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

8. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

The advent of SACD and DVDA have renewed my love for classic Rock albums that I bought 25 years ago and sound fresh to my ears all these years later.
    I don't worry what's coming down the pike as long as I have my music now and my health to hear them.
    These are great times for audio/video fanatics! I never imagined when I first got married in 1991 that I would have a HT in my den. A HT that rivals any movie theater in sound quality (I'm still working on a Widescreen HDTV[​IMG] ).

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Martin,
    Thanks for the link.
    Martin said on August 20th: