1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Dear Warner Bros. Re: CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1957)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Dick, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    I am hoping that criticism of your Blu-ray of HORROR OF DRACULA isn't discouraging you from tackling CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN. This was the inaugural color (aka colour :)) horror film, and introduced the Cushing/Lee pairing that lasted through many years and films. But it hasn't been presented well (ever) on home video. The promising UK release had nice color and tons of cool supplements, but was insufferably soft -- to my eyes nearly unwatchable on a large screen -- and I just can't imagine it has to be like this. DRACULA was taken from a restored source, and perhaps no such source exists (yet) for CURSE. But this is a major classic and begs...demands, really...a full restoration from somebody. If Lionsgate in the UK or you guys in the U.S. could collaborate on such a project (which I really hope is already in progress), perhaps we will finally get a decent Blu-ray of one of the few early Hammer classics that have yet to be released in HD in this country.

RICK BOND likes this.
  2. aPhil

aPhil Supporting Actor

Phil Smoot
    Well, if Warner is listening (yes, I'm sure), then not only do we (me and at least someone else) want a major fix for "The Curse of Frankenstein",
    some of us (me me and me) want Warner to do a new scan of "Horror of Dracula" because some of us cannot pretend that what you (Warner) recently released is acceptable for such a classic film.

After all the waiting for a Warner Blu-ray of Horror of Dracula, all we got is a properly colored version of what is technically an ancient and so-so transfer with the most awful contrast I can imagine --
    No, it ain't good enough.

RICK BOND likes this.
  3. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    As I understand it, Warner supplied the UK with a scan of an old dupe made from b/w separation masters, as the Eastman negatives have long since faded beyond use ( I could be wrong, it's been a few years since I read that). After the Horror Of Dracula release, I'm not really expecting too much, if anything, from Warner.

RICK BOND likes this.