What's new

Dear Warner Bros...How 'Bout Giving Up Your Marx Bros. on Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

MJBradley1967

Auditioning
Real Name
MJ Bradley
I would hope they find the missing seconds where there are bad splices or something in 'A Night At The Opera" before putting it out on blu ray.
Is this one of the scenes you're thinking of (about 00:10-00:11)? If so, they didn't find those missing frames.

I ripped the blu-ray and posted the clip myself. Not for the sake of finding missing bits, but just because I found that clip really funny.

A Night in Casablanca was originally a United Artists release, and was owned by the producers. Warner licensed it for DVD in their Marx Brothers set, but that set is no longer in print, and WB doesn't have the rights anymore. As said before, ClassicFlix has it out on blu-ray now.

As for Love Happy, it was also originally released by United Artists, and owned by its producers. It's available on BD or DVD from Olive Films.
Yeah, I was mistaken on that. I found the reference I was mis-remembering which said A Night In Casablanca is/was owned by the Cadin Film Trust library (that post was from 2017 on the blu-ray.com forum).

dirwuf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Gassel
As for my 2 cents worth, they should all be released on Blu-Ray. And the missing opening shot from 'A Night At The Opera', had to have occurred sometime in the late 1970's or in the 1980's, As I remember distinctly seeing it several times in South Eastern Connecticut in 1972. In fact I missed seeing the premiere of 'Goldfinger'on ABC on the night I saw a double bill of 'A Night At The Opera' and 'A Day At The Races' at a local theater. I beleive it was a Sunday in September 1972. As for the opening of 'A Night At The Opera', after the credits, a dissolve to black and then a fade in and zoom of a plaque on a building that read 'Hotel Milan' then a dissolve to the interior restaurant scence we currently have today.

FYI, that was never the opening....the original release opened (after the credits) with a graphic that said "MILAN – WHERE THEY SING ALL DAY, AND GO TO THE OPERA AT NIGHT", which led to a sequence of the residents of Milan singing a song, with each singer passing the song along to someone else who continues to sing it. The song eventually winds up with the waiter in the restaurant, who stopped singing just before he approached Mrs. Claypool.

There has been no verified sighting of this sequence since the 1938 edits were made to eliminate all references to Italy.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
FYI, that was never the opening....the original release opened (after the credits) with a graphic that said "MILAN – WHERE THEY SING ALL DAY, AND GO TO THE OPERA AT NIGHT", which led to a sequence of the residents of Milan singing a song, with each singer passing the song along to someone else who continues to sing it. The song eventually winds up with the waiter in the restaurant, who stopped singing just before he approached Mrs. Claypool.

There has been no verified sighting of this sequence since the 1938 edits were made to eliminate all references to Italy.
Not all of them. Chico himself is a walking reference to Italy. ;)

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I came across this Blu-ray release from Spain. Not sure of the picture quality and i might just wait for a box set of their later films to come out.

1693966597677.png

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This is almost certainly a bootleg taken from an illegal rip of the HD version that’s been available on streaming services for at least a decade (almost certainly the same master originally created as a source for the existing DVD).

Warner controls the rights to this film and as far as I’m aware there is not a legal physical media Blu-ray release of this title anywhere in the world.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
This is almost certainly a bootleg taken from an illegal rip of the HD version that’s been available on streaming services for at least a decade (almost certainly the same master originally created as a source for the existing DVD).

Warner controls the rights to this film and as far as I’m aware there is not a legal physical media Blu-ray release of this title anywhere in the world.
Doubtful that there ever will be. There has been inter-family hatred since before the Civil War. The Brothers Warner arrived in Louisville in 1854, and proceeded to set up the what they called the first nickelodeon shoppe in the South, unaware the the Brothers Marx had done so the previous year, under an agreement with Samuel Goldwyn.

Young Tom Edison sent his Pinkerton thugs after the lot of them, but not before George Warner had been shot down in cold blood by Jed Marx. The night of the following day, Jed was found dead in the street beneath a huge pile of Vitaphone cylinders. The surviving four Brothers Warner blamed the death on Edison, who was staying in a nearby hotel. The proof, said the Brothers Warner, was a tell-tale path covered in sprocket holes - which were controlled by Edison.

Ever wonder why the surviving Marx Brothers were never invited to make a film at the Vitaphone studio in Hollywood, and went instead to Long Island City, where strangely they made films with sound on disc?

It was all a plot instigated by Minnie to protect her boys, which to this day brings thrills to the hearts of cinephiles when they speak of the talented comedy troupe today known merely as “The Boys.”

Study your history and you’ll find that Minnie was at that time in a relationship with a young suitor named Walt, who mothered a child named Oswald, who would eventually become the fifth Marx Brother.

Nickelodeons, blood in the streets, infidelity, and the terror of stage mothers, are all behind the reason why the stolen bits of the Marx films will never be found. Minnie took them with her to the depths of the Pacific - lost at sea shortly after the premiere of Night at the Opera, sailing with Oswald in a luxurious rubber boat thought unsinkable. Just short of their intended destination of Avalon, the ship disappeared with all nitrate negative trims on board.

Headlines the next morning quoted one of the Marxes as blaming the Warners. The Warners pointed a finger toward Culver City, placing the blame on M-G-M and a deflator mouse.

When fiction becomes truth…

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Doubtful that there ever will be. There has been inter-family hatred since before the Civil War. The Brothers Warner arrived in Louisville in 1854, and proceeded to set up the what they called the first nickelodeon shoppe in the South, unaware the the Brothers Marx had done so the previous year, under an agreement with Samuel Goldwyn.

Young Tom Edison sent his Pinkerton thugs after the lot of them, but not before George Warner had been shot down in cold blood by Jed Marx. The night of the following day, Jed was found dead in the street beneath a huge pile of Vitaphone cylinders. The surviving four Brothers Warner blamed the death on Edison, who was staying in a nearby hotel. The proof, said the Brothers Warner, was a tell-tale path covered in sprocket holes - which were controlled by Edison.

Ever wonder why the surviving Marx Brothers were never invited to make a film at the Vitaphone studio in Hollywood, and went instead to Long Island City, where strangely they made films with sound on disc?

It was all a plot instigated by Minnie to protect her boys, which to this day brings thrills to the hearts of cinephiles when they speak of the talented comedy troupe today known merely as “The Boys.”

Study your history and you’ll find that Minnie was at that time in a relationship with a young suitor named Walt, who mothered a child named Oswald, who would eventually become the fifth Marx Brother.

Nickelodeons, blood in the streets, infidelity, and the terror of stage mothers, are all behind the reason why the stolen bits of the Marx films will never be found. Minnie took them with her to the depths of the Pacific - lost at sea shortly after the premiere of Night at the Opera, sailing with Oswald in a luxurious rubber boat thought unsinkable. Just short of their intended destination of Avalon, the ship disappeared with all nitrate negative trims on board.

Headlines the next morning quoted one of the Marxes as blaming the Warners. The Warners pointed a finger toward Culver City, placing the blame on M-G-M and a deflator mouse.

Or Hollywood history as spun by Kellyanne...

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus

I like the story of when A Night in Casablanca was released Warner Bros inquired about the story of film to make sure there was no copyright infringement. Groucho wrote a series of comic letters to Warner Brothers in which he told the studio, "Professionally, we were brothers before you ever were".

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I suppose the next one from Warner should be, A Day At The Races, but as I posted in another thread, I'd prefer At The Circus.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks