What's new

Dear WAC: Please Keep Those RKO Classics Coming! (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
You are doing a splendid job of giving us classics from the RKO library, and somehow making them look as good as they probably did when first released to theaters.

Here are some I'd love to see you or someone get around to:

ANGEL FACE
BACK TO BATAAN
BEDLAM*
BOY WITH GREEN HAIR (Color)
BRINGING UP BABY (Criterion?)
CIMARRON (Best Picture Oscar-winner)
CROSSFIRE
DEVIL AND DANIEL WEBSTER (Criterion?)
GHOST SHIP*
GUNGA DIN
INFORMER, THE
I REMEMBER MAMA
ISLE OF THE DEAD*
I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE*
LITTLE WOMEN (1933)
LOST PATROL
MR. LUCKY
NARROW MARGIN (1952)
ROOM SERVICE
SEVENTH VICTIM*
SINBAD THE SAILOR (Color)
TALL IN THE SADDLE
TOP HAT (and other Astaire-Rogers musicals)
WINDOW, THE

The number of RKO titles already released and looking good is surprisingly large. Good for you (and Criterion and Shout! and others), and thanks! I know a bunch of the titles above have serious element issues, but anything you can do would be greatly appreciated.

*But, anyone...what is going on with these remaining Val Lewton productions?

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'm fairly content with my DVDs of several of those films, so I'm not straining at the leash for them on Blu-ray disc. (I most certainly was not content with my DVD of Great Day In The Morning so many thanks, Warner Archive, for releasing that on Blu-ray)

The two RKO films I'd particularly love in high definition are the two with Allan Dwan, John Alton, Rhonda Fleming and John Payne: Slightly Scarlet and Tennessee's Partner. Does Warner own them?

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
You missed out The Big Sky (1952), my top choice, well my top top choice is The Devil & Daniel Webster (All That Money Can Buy), but I understand that Criterion owns that.

Reactions: PMF

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I'm fairly content with my DVDs of several of those films, so I'm not straining at the leash for them on Blu-ray disc. (I most certainly was not content with my DVD of Great Day In The Morning so many thanks, Warner Archive, for releasing that on Blu-ray)

The two RKO films I'd particularly love in high definition are the two with Allan Dwan, John Alton, Rhonda Fleming and John Payne: Slightly Scarlet and Tennessee's Partner. Does Warner own them?

Somehow I don't think Warners has ever had that batch of RKO Benedict Bogeaus productions.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
All lists that promote an expansion towards another BD transfer is always a good thing to read. With every list, certain titles are bound to see the light of day; while also continuing to remind any person of importance that may happen to read these requests of our active and ongoing interests. Even if a title of my own personal wants does not get selected, it all bodes well for all; as eventually the other guys titles are certain to follow.

No doubt, WAC has supplied us with a tremendous year.
Their efforts and highest quality of presentations are such that it can only inspire;
as is the case with this list, as posted by Dick;
to which I see 10 titles that I would purchase, as well.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby

I would like The Narrow Margin and other RKO noirs.

My top three most wanted titles are : Slightly Scarlet, High Society, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You are doing a splendid job of giving us classics from the RKO library, and somehow making them look as good as they probably did when first released to theaters.

ANGEL FACE
BACK TO BATAAN
BEDLAM*
CROSSFIRE
GHOST SHIP*
GUNGA DIN
INFORMER, THE
I REMEMBER MAMA
ISLE OF THE DEAD*
I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE*
LITTLE WOMEN (1939)
LOST PATROL
MR. LUCKY
NARROW MARGIN (1952)
ROOM SERVICE
SEVENTH VICTIM*
TALL IN THE SADDLE
WINDOW, THE

The number of RKO titles already released and looking good is surprisingly large. Good for you (and Criterion and Shout! and others), and thanks! I know a bunch of the titles above have serious element issues, but anything you can do would be greatly appreciated.

*But, anyone...what is going on with these remaining Val Lewton productions?
I have several of those titles on HD digital so there's a good chance of a Blu-ray release.;) As to Little Women are you talking about the 1933 or 1949 version as there wasn't any 1939 version?

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I have several of those titles on HD digital so there's a good chance of a Blu-ray release.;) As to Little Women are you talking about the 1933 or 1949 version as there wasn't any 1939 version?

My, how badly I screwed up my post. 1933.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
At this point, the remaining Astaire/Rogers films are the main films I want, and I don't just mean from RKO, nor even from Warner, they ARE the films I want the most on Blu-ray. Period. As far as any others, I'd also like to see All Mine To Give and Room Service. I would also like films such as The Sky's The Limit, A Damsel In Distress, Star Of Midnight, Vivacious Lady and Bachelor Mother, although they are all likely to be long shots at best, even if only for the fact that they made their DVD debut from WAC, and The Sea Wolf currently remains the ONLY pre-1954 movie that WAC debuted on both Blu-ray and DVD, and everything else from that era was originally released on DVD by WHV. But still, it's fun making lists in the hope that maybe somebody at WAC sees them and sees some demand!

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John

ANGEL FACE
BACK TO BATAAN
BEDLAM*
CROSSFIRE
GHOST SHIP*
GUNGA DIN
INFORMER, THE
I REMEMBER MAMA
ISLE OF THE DEAD*
I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE*
LITTLE WOMEN (1933)
LOST PATROL
MR. LUCKY
NARROW MARGIN (1952)
ROOM SERVICE
SEVENTH VICTIM*
TALL IN THE SADDLE
WINDOW, THE

*But, anyone...what is going on with these remaining Val Lewton productions?[/QUOTE]

Great list, and all of them are on my list too.
I would add:
THE BIG STEAL
ESCAPADE IN JAPAN
ALL MINE TO GIVE
DANGEROUS MISSION (3-D)
THE GREAT MAN VOTES
LOVE AFFAIR (1939)
The Bobby Breen Collection. (Yeah, I know, but I find them charming)
RACHEL AND THE STRANGER (without edits)
SWEEPINGS (1933)
SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON (1940) Disney owned now
MAGIC TOWN
THE TRHEE MUSKETEERS (1935)
WEDNESDAY'S CHILD (1934)
THE WHITE TOWER (color)
THE LIFE OF VERGIE WINTERS
Sadly, I think sales of the previous Lewton's were below expectations. I was hoping that all the Lewton's would have been updated to blu ray editions by now.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Way too many RKO classics to list, so I'll settle for just seconding the wish for Bachelor Mother and many of the others here.

I bought the HD digital version of Bachelor Mother off the Xbox store and it's obviously not a transfer worthy of Blu-Ray. Hopefully Warner sees fit to do their magic on this one, one of these days.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
"Morning Glory" (1933)

"The Informer" (1935)

"Bringing Up Baby" (1938)

"Gunga Din" (1939)

"Love Affair" (1939)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I can't remember ever seeing Gunga Din, but I did record a TV showing last week, so I'll give it a go.

mcash007

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Please! Please! Please!
Blood on The Moon & Journey into Fear, I don't believe either have rights issues. So they should see the light of day. Robert Mitchum & Orson Welles! Those should be no brainers. Or at least to me they are.

I'm not even going to included the titles that have rights issues(Devil Thumbs a Ride) or any 3D(Second Chance). Hopefully Blood on The Moon & Journey Into Fear, are realistic to get a release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks