What's new

Dear Shout! Factory...Might I Help You With Your Acquisitions? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
You and Scream! Factory have certainly closed a lot of gaps in our want lists. May I suggest the following in order to close them even further:

THE CHANGELING (1979). Inexplicably m.i.a. title, considering it was the finest ghost story since THE HAUNTING, and did well at the box office.

EYES OF FIRE (1983). Atmospheric and frequently very creepy indie set two centuries ago. Never looked good on video, even laser disc, because it came from Vestron.

MURDER BY DECREE (1979). One of the best of the one-shot Sherlock Holmes films, and certain THE best of the Jack the Ripper/Holmes films.

I've no idea whether or not the licenses for these films are up for grabs, but if any of them is, please GRAB IT! They would all fit easily within Scream! Factory guidelines.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I would love The Changeling too.

By the way, imdb says it's 1980.

I know there was a Japanese Bluray but I read comments that it's unwatchable.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Dick said:
You and Scream! Factory have certainly closed a lot of gaps in our want lists. May I suggest the following in order to close them even further:

THE CHANGELING (1979). Inexplicably m.i.a. title, considering it was the finest ghost story since THE HAUNTING, and did well at the box office.

EYES OF FIRE (1983). Atmospheric and frequently very creepy indie set two centuries ago. Never looked good on video, even laser disc, because it came from Vestron.

MURDER BY DECREE (1979). One of the best of the one-shot Sherlock Holmes films, and certain THE best of the Jack the Ripper/Holmes films.

I've no idea whether or not the licenses for these films are up for grabs, but if any of them is, please GRAB IT! They would all fit easily within Scream! Factory guidelines.
+1 for Murder by Decree. Love this film!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
atfree said:
+1 for Murder by Decree. Love this film!
I do, too, and it's directed by Bob Clark who helmed A Christmas Story. Just goes to show what a versatile director he was pulling off two very different kinds of period pieces with great style and flair.

TomF

Stunt Coordinator
They get asked for The Changeling A LOT but always respond that they've tried but can't get the rights. Too bad--I agree it's a fantastic ghost story.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Here's why Shout cant get them at this time, and possibly never unless something changes

The Changeling is with Warner

Murder by Decree is with Lionsgate

Eyes of Fire also appears to be with Lionsgate

Thats why Shout is unable to license them because these labels dont make deals to sub-license. If anything Warner is still gobbling up libraries from studios and producers. Warner has some policy about sub licensing in which they do not unless a director requests for it. This could be the director of the film, or a director who loves the film and wants a label like Criterion to release it

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Konstantinos said:
I would love The Changeling too.
By the way, imdb says it's 1980.

I know there was a Japanese Bluray but I read comments that it's unwatchable.
Some of those comments would have been my own. I junked it. If Warner Bros does, in fact, hold the rights to this in the U.S., perhaps we can eventually get a GOOD quality transfer from France or Germany. Theoretically, the Lionsgate titles could also pop up in Europe one day. Before I die would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks