What's new

Dear Paramount.... (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I should say, "Dear CBS/Viacom..."

You have a few Oscar-winning films still unreleased on Blu-ray: THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH and ORDINARY PEOPLE. Why are you dragging your feet on these? License them out or release them yourself, but, c'mon -- step up to the plate. The ORDINARY PEOPLE DVD is awful, and I've little doubt you would not be required to put much effort into a new scan of this for HD release.

This, of course, does not take into account the scores of other major films you haven't bothered to release or license out for Blu-ray. What the hell? Is Wade Williams a CEO of your company now? Is Susan Hart on your Board of Directors? You're holding these films hostage and the many...many of us who want physical media over streaming are really angry at you for this and isn't helping your P.R. at all.

Perhaps, though, you don't care about your film library assets, CBS/Viacom. These films are part of our cultural heritage, Just because you now "own" Paramount doesn't mean you can just trash or neglect this incredible film library without burying a vast legacy left by people who actually gave a damn about it.

Where are the wonderful people who gave us the WINGS restoration? Have they all been fired?

Last edited:

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
IIRC, it was when Paramount was releasing TV sets that things were fine. After the split and CBS became the company of record, music disappeared.

As for Paramount and films... yeah, we have Roman Holiday, Pretty in Pink, and Ordinary People all MIA on Blu, and no hope of ever seeing them.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Where are blues of KING KONG (1976), PROPHECY (1979), GRAVEYARD SHIFT (1990), SILVER BULLET (1985) and DRAGONSLAYER (1981)? And a guilty favorite of mine, which I would settle with just a DVD of ----->> THE VULTURE (1967). That is all.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Dear HTF:

Some of these are streaming on Amazon Prime. Or you can buy the streams if you love them so much. Expect nothing more and you won't be disappointed.

With love,

CBS/Viacom/Paramount

P.S. Please see TRANSFORMERS: THE LAST KNIGHT beginning on Wednesday. It's the A PLACE IN THE SUN of 2017.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Dear HTF:

Some of these are streaming on Amazon Prime. Or you can buy the streams if you love them so much. Expect nothing more and you won't be disappointed.

With love,

CBS/Viacom/Paramount

P.S. Please see TRANSFORMERS: THE LAST KNIGHT beginning on Wednesday. It's the A PLACE IN THE SUN of 2017.
P.P.S
Please follow the link to sign up for CBS All-Access ...eventually we'll have the new Star Trek(tm) series we promised two years ago ...

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
no list needed, make it simple for the masses, at Paramount / CBS / ViaCom

Dear Paramount,
We of the home theater community would be honored if you would be willing to break from your past record, of not releasing a lot of the back catalog that you own. Simply put it would be nice to see something more that 20 years old, that has never been released on blu ray before ( no re-issue, that doesn't count). Pick a title, any title; But please don't act as if that library doesn't exist and leave treasures wallowing in obscurity. As a company in the entertainment business over 100 years, take some credit and showcase what YOU have.

Respectfully

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I think you'd be better off writing a letter to Santa Claus! :)
Just because you now "own" Paramount doesn't mean you can just trash or neglect this incredible film library without burying a vast legacy left by people who actually gave a damn about it.

Yes, they can and have.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Has Paramount ever publically disclosed their reasons for not producing BD's of their important library of films?
Although I concur with Dick, it would only be fair to invite a Paramount spokesperson or insider to address any future plans.
I originally lampooned and pig-piled the studio in solidarity to our passionate HTF membership; but have now retracted.
And when I say retracted, I do not mean in our requests for BD releases but, rather, our protests against the owners; as, unbeknownst to me, they have yet to make it known what their future plans might entail.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
I think our only hope is if they make licensing agreements with other labels.

Reactions: PMF

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
I would love Romeo and Juliet. I saw it with my cousins when I was 12!

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I would love Romeo and Juliet. I saw it with my cousins when I was 12!
Romeo & Juliet (1968) on a BD has been very, very high on my Paramount Wish-List for quite some time.
One could only further wish that this Oscar winner for Cinematography could see a restoration;
as the collective attributes of this film as a whole could generate a list more lengthy than one would need to read; as others, here, would only read it, agree and say to themselves, "Tell me something I don't know".

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks