What's new

Dear PARAMOUNT...now you can show everyone a really GOOD dragon movie! (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
DRAGONSLAYER has its weaknesses (too-contemporary young leads looking rather silly among great actors like Ralph Richardson, Peter Eyre and John Hallam) but the medievel atmosphere and the dragon itself are not among them. This is a fine, and often REALLY SCARY fantasy with a rich score by Alex North and, I believe, the most realistic and alarming dragon in all cinema history. Can we shoehorn this in on DVD before the REIGN OF FIRE release, just to give it a good headstart? I think REIGN's theatrical release might spawn interest in other dragon movies. But when it comes to DVD selling power, I worry it would steal sales from the 1981 Paramount/Disney classic because it is louder, more high-tech and bombastic (but far less scary and effective) and with recognizable flavor-of-the-month stars.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
I just saw a few snippets of a rather grainy, washed out, and cropped print of this film on tv the other night. It was not watchable. Paramount, please see to this one as soon as possible.

Jon

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I would suggest a Superman: The Movie kind of restoration and digital rejeuvenation of the optically composited effects shots (an overhaul of the sound would be great too). Superman's restoration was a revelation as to what a classy use of film negative clean-up and digital correction (wire removal, digital recompositing at high rez., color correction) can accomplish. No CGI used, just a tweaking of what was already there.

Lucas and Spielberg should have been smart enough to watch that DVD.

Please do right by DragonSlayer...

Dan

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
If you do a search, you will see that Paramount's Martin Blythe has stated that Dragonslayer is in bad shape, and they are looking into restoring it for DVD release

They know that there is a solid cult base for the title

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks