What's new

Dear Nasa Scientists... (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Please create a new public fund to start research on a Weather Modification Net. I don't care if it can't stop hurricanes or Tornadoes...But when it's forcasted to be Rainy for 7 days straight, I would like someone at City Hall to be able to press a button, and Boom, Sunshine. Schedule an hour of rain if need be for local crops and plants during the night, but during the day, nothing but clear blue skies and 76 degrees. It should not be 60 degrees for a few days straight in early June, for pete sakes :).

Think of all the extra funding money you could get by selling this system and upgrades to it!

Thank you for your time...
Neil V.

Sitting in Rainy New Jersey..

Now, anyone know any Nasa Scientists we could send this off too? :0

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I would kill to have your problem. Current forecast for Eastern Oklahoma: Sunny and 95, with temps near or at 100 this weekend. Slight chance of rain Tues & Wed and we are currently 4 inches below normal rainfall after last year's drought that caused so many wildfires.

Rain for a week? 60 degree temperatures? Where do I sign up for that!!! :emoji_thumbsup:

Remember someone always has it worse off than you. :)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
But the weekend is supposed to be nice! It's sunny outside right now where I work in NJ... Just came back from lunch.

Jay

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
might want to contact christof, since the truman show is no longer on the air.

and why put city hall in charge of the weather?

CJ

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Pardon me for giving voice to a pet peeve, but the past tense of "forcast" is "forcast," not "forcasted."

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Pet peeve, indeed... I think you mean "forecast". :)

Of course, I have had experience in forecastificationalizing in the past, so I should know better. ;)

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
According to my copy of the Oxford American Dictionary, both forecast and forecasted are the correct past tense usage.

verb ( past -cast or -cast•ed ) [ trans. ]

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

Dear random person bitching about rain, please educate yourself & solve the problem yourself if you think it should be so straightforward.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Aww come on. I didn't say it would be easy to do. But I did say it could raise them more money, and I didn't think someone was working on it already, hence the note ;)..

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
I've got a better solution. We'll build a time machine so you can travel to a time when the weather was nicer. There might be other side benefits to this technology as well. Changing the weather patterns, even locally, can have unpredicatable effects on the world climate. I can't see how time travel would have any problems like this at all. :D

Brad

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Oooooh, being raised in fair Anchorage I could definitely do with a taste of Moscow's weather right now. Give me cold/rainy any day of the week over sunny/hot.

Being extremely photosensitive, I could truly live without experiencing summer-like conditions (

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
That's not too bad. Are you sure you were looking at it right? The temperature is initially set to Celsius.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Forecast for Moscow this Sunday: Partially cloudy with a high of 18°C (64°F). A very nice day.

While we're at it, forecast for Montreal on the same day: Partially cloudy with a high of 19°C (66°F). Also a very nice day. I should get out of the house.

As for the 95°C, that would be a disaster! That's five degrees below the boilling point of water! Yikes! Too hot! Too hot! :)

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Double D'Oh!!

I don't get it. The verb to cast doesn't have the -ed past tense variant (according to my dictionary) but other words based on the same root do?

I feel another pet peeve coming on.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
But is Forecast a derivative of cast? Forecast is similar to predict and the past tense of predict is predicted.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Fore- is a pretty common prefix (foreword, forethought, etc), so I think that it's pretty likely that forecast is a derivative, meaning "casting in advance..."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks