What's new

Dear MGM - you forgot to include THE MAGIC SWORD in your coming swashbuckler series.. (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I'm really glad you are about to release JACK THE GIANT KILLER, but what a golden opportunity to also release what would made a perfect double-bill with it, THE MAGIC SWORD, almost inarguably the best film from cheapie producer Bert I. Gordon. Please release this OAR as soon as possible!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
And, I forgot to mention, CAPTAIN SINBAD as well. Both are really decent "family" swashbuckler fantasies.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I'm with you on both THE MAGIC SWORD (1962) and (especially) CAPTAIN SINDBAD (1963), Dick, but the latter film belongs to Warner these days.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Yeah, Peter, I guess it does. I wonder if they can come up with a "swashbuckler" promo that could include this. It wouldn't fit easily in with, say, Errol Flynn material such as SEA HAWK. Warner tends to lump several similarly-themed catalog films together for release. What could go with CAPTAIN SINBAD from their catalog?

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Well, Warner-controlled films (if they still do control all of these in R1) that would fit in with CAPTAIN SINDBAD would include:

ATLANTIS, THE LOST CONTINENT (1961, MGM)
THE THIEF OF BAGDAD (1961-Italian, MGM, dubbed version)
SINBAD THE SAILOR (1947, RKO)
CAPTAIN NEMO & THE UNDERWATER CITY (1969, MGM)
MAGIC BOY (1959-Japanese, animated, MGM, dubbed version)
SABU & THE MAGIC RING (1957, Allied Artists)
THE COLOSSUS OF RHODES (1961-Italian, MGM, dubbed version)
MORGAN THE PIRATE (1961-Italian, MGM, dubbed version)
SHE (1965-British, MGM)

MGM-controlled films (again, if they still control all of these in R1) that would go with THE MAGIC SWORD:

THE LOST WORLD OF SINBAD (1963-Japanese, A.I.P., dubbed version)
THE BOY & THE PIRATES (1960, United Artists)
MY SON, THE HERO (1963-French/Italian, United Artists, dubbed version)
MASTER OF THE WORLD (1961, A.I.P.)
ALAKAZAM THE GREAT (1960-Japanese, animated, A.I.P., dubbed version)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
SINBAD THE SAILOR (1947)...yes!!! I'd decided a few years back that I'd never see that wonderful RKO film released to DVD (gorgeous Technicolor and gorgeous Maureen O'Hara), but with recent releases from Warner Bros such as CRIMSON PIRATE, maybe they'll get around to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks