What's new

Dear experts, please enlighten me! (1 Viewer)

avnooooob

Auditioning
Real Name
Hector
I'm new to AV, I just got Yamaha RX-v365 receiver and still yet to purchase speakers. I wonder if it'll burn it if I use it for headphones only for some time (it has something to do with impedance, I think). Advices deeply appreciated. Thanks!

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Using your receiver for headphones only is no problem. It's won't do anything to your receiver to have it turned on and not hooked up to any speakers.

avnooooob

Auditioning
Real Name
Hector
Thanks Jim, Parker Clack.

@Parker Clack: Thanks for your reply. But, I'd like to ask again, just to be sure, I read that using speaker with impedance lower than the receiver's minimum specifications will cause overload and burn the receiver. How about no speakers at all?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Hector,

Only if it's much lower. But even that is not aplicable in your case.
No speakers at all would mean: an infinitely high impedance (impedance is the resistance to alternating current, without speakers no current can flow).

If you would short the outputs (connect them to each other, make a shortcut), the impedance would be 0 Ohms, that would indeed fry your amplifiers when you had sound (trying to) come out of it. 'No speakers' used to be bad in the old days, with different types of circuit and for a different reason, but that's no longer true now.

Cees

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
Hector,

In the receivers I have used, you turn off the "A" and "B" speakers so the receiver knows you are not using the speakers. This is usually a button on the front and the "A" and/or "B" lights should be off when using the system without speakers.

It practice it shouldn't matter but to ensure a problem free experience simply turn them off.

I hope that helps and that you enjoy your new receiver.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
I think most receivers have a fail safe. When you plug in your headphones the speakers shut off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks