What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
One of the more overlooked stars of the Golden Age, Deanna Durbin gets the first of what one hopes will be several collections of her entertaining screen work in the Deanna Durbin Collection I.

One Hundred Men and a Girl (1937)

Released: 05 Sep 1937
Rated: APPROVED
Runtime: 84 min

Director: Henry Koster
Genre: Comedy, Music

Cast: Deanna Durbin, Leopold Stokowski, Adolphe Menjou, Alice Brady
Writer(s): Bruce Manning (original screen play), Charles Kenyon (original screen play), James Mulhauser (original screen play), Hanns Kräly (based on an idea by)

Plot: The daughter of a struggling musician forms a symphony orchestra made up of his unemployed friends and through persistence, charm and a few misunderstandings, is able to get Leopold ...

IMDB rating: 6.9
MetaScore: N/A...

Continue reading...

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Overall a really good review. I do, however, disagree about "Three Smart Girls Grow Up" being more frustrating than entertaining to watch. I think it is actually better than "Three Smart Girls" and very entertaining. There are dramatic bits mixed in with the comedy and music, but Deanna gives a touching and sensitive performance. She wants so much to help her sisters be happy even though they and their parents don't really understand completely what she is doing until the end of the film. You can see the growth and a bit more maturity in her than the first couple films she made. The songs are wonderful as always, especially "Because", which she sings at the end. Seeing the tears flow down her face almost will make you feel like crying, not because of sadness, but because they are tears of joy and happiness. The warmth and sensitivity are so obvious. Helen Parrish, another beautiful and talented actress, is much better as Kay than Barbara Read was in the earlier film. Nan Grey is also very pleasant and good as Joan. Robert Cummings is always fun to watch. This movie would definitely be in my top 5 or 6 Durbin films. Personally I would give it at least a 3 1/2 and maybe even a 4 of 5.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Overall a really good review. I do, however, disagree about "Three Smart Girls Grow Up" being more frustrating than entertaining to watch. I think it is actually better than "Three Smart Girls" and very entertaining. There are dramatic bits mixed in with the comedy and music, but Deanna gives a touching and sensitive performance. She wants so much to help her sisters be happy even though they and their parents don't really understand completely what she is doing until the end of the film. You can see the growth and a bit more maturity in her than the first couple films she made. The songs are wonderful as always, especially "Because", which she sings at the end. Seeing the tears flow down her face almost will make you feel like crying, not because of sadness, but because they are tears of joy and happiness. The warmth and sensitivity are so obvious. Helen Parrish, another beautiful and talented actress, is much better as Kay than Barbara Read was in the earlier film. Nan Grey is also very pleasant and good as Joan. Robert Cummings is always fun to watch. This movie would definitely be in my top 5 or 6 Durbin films. Personally I would give it at least a 3 1/2 and maybe even a 4 of 5.
And it's my LEAST favorite of all of her movies, so there you go! To each his own.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
I watched One Hundred Men and a Girl yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. I hadn’t seen it since laser disc days and remembered little about it other than enjoying it. I’m looking forward to watching the others and those in the forthcoming sets.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Sad but true. Oh, well....

Go on without me, I'll be okay...
crying-man.gif

Last edited:

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
And it's my LEAST favorite of all of her movies, so there you go! To each his own.
Your opinion. You're entitled to it of course. I like it because it was one of her first movies that I ever saw many years ago. I think it is much better than her last several from the late 40s. Overall, her early films going up to the early 40s for the most part are better than the last few. I would still watch her in anything she did though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.