What's new

Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts (1 Viewer)

nietseoj

Agent
Real Name
quag
Does that footage still exist ? That's a great question. I'd put the odds at less than 50% because Guthy or Time-Life probably would have figured out a way to use that footage to extract more money from us. I agree with Garth - they would probably be awful to watch. When i posted my list of persons who were cut out of the final broadcast(s) there was 1 guy who i never was able to ID. Anybody wanna take a shot at this ????? In the Kirk Douglas roast, there is a guy sitting between Tim Conway & Lynn Anderson, who i cannot identify. If you watch the Roast on YouTube (www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR6iF5efEKE)
there is a nice close-up of him, approx. 12 seconds into the show. Anybody know who that man is ??? Thanks much !!

nietseoj

Agent
Real Name
quag
Richard - UR looking at the wrong side of the dais. Jack Burns was on the left side - sitting next to his partner, Avery Schreiber. I was referring to the guy on the right side - next to Tim Conway. As for your question - i think you'll need to contact somebody who was a BIG SHOT on those Roasts - somebody like Lee Hale (Associate Producer) or Roger Warnix, (Production Manager) to get a 100% certain answer. Because they might be the only (living) persons, who can answer that. Rich Little or Tom Dreesen might know - but good luck trying to contact them. LOL.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I just found a copy of the Walmart exclusive "The Best of Dean and his Friends." It has the second season premiere on it, which includes Rowan and Martin's whole spy routine. I bring it up here because it contains the rendition of "I Remember It Well" that was cut from the Telly Savalas roast on the Time Life set. How could they have cleared it for a $10 budget release and not a $250 set?

nietseoj

Agent
Real Name
quag
RE: the Walmart exclusive: "The Best of Dean and his Friends."

What exactly is the "I Remember It Well" speech,

which was cut from the Telly Savalas roast ?

I have no idea what that is or who it involved.

Thanx much !

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Sorry for the lack of clarity, Joe. Rowan and Martin's roast spot was cut from the Savalas roast on the Time Life set, presumably because their spot was just a version of their espionage routine which includes the Lerner and Loewe song "I Remember It Well." They had performed the same routine on the variety show eight years earlier and the Walmart budget disc, also from Time Life, includes it, song and all. I understand that some songs are not available at any price and that some are just prohibitively expensive. But this makes it seem like Time Life just made some bad choices on the roast set.

nietseoj

Agent
Real Name
quag
I keep hearing about the "differences" in the Time Life collection and the Guthy collection,
but i own both sets, and i cannot find one single difference in the two sets ?
Can anybody name even 1 instance, where a speech was cut out, by Time Life,
and was NOT cut out, by Guthy ??

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
FanCollector said:
I checked the other instances I could recall of music being sung or lyrics recited and found these edits:Lucille Ball: montage before her rebuttal (I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face)Jackie Gleason: montage before his rebuttal (That's A Plenty)Bob Hope: Film clip of Hope singing Thanks for the Memory with Shirley RossTelly Savalas: montage before his rebuttal (On the Good Ship Lollipop) and Rowan and Martin spot (I Remember It Well)Frank Sinatra: Part of Gene Kelly's spot including clips from their three movies togetherGeorge Burns: Part of Gene Kelly's spot where he sings Our Love is Here to Stay and a clip of Burns and Jack Benny on This Is Your Life (no music)Those were the edits I could find. It seems as though any film taken from elsewhere was not cleared. Beyond that, some songs were and some were not. (Orson Welles reciting That's Amore was left in, as was Peter Falk and Frank Sinatra's impromptu duet of Bye Bye Blackbird. Burns and Kelly's duets/recitations of Burns's old chestnuts are still included, but they are in the public domain.) Not a huge number, but still a shame. If anyone remembers any other musical performances or film clips from other roasts, let me know and I will check those also.
From an earlier post in this thread, Joe. Those cuts included most film clips and a couple of edited "live" spots.

nietseoj

Agent
Real Name
quag
Hey FanCollector - thanx 4 the info. Now that i know it is only songs & montages that were edited out, i feel much better. I wasn't a big fan of those.
As long as i have your attention - could you give me your opinion on something ?
In the Kirk Douglas Roast - which can be seen at:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR6iF5efEKE
Can you (or anybody) tell me who is sitting in between Lynn Anderson & Jackie Gayle ?
There's a real good close-up of him, at the .11 second mark, in that video.
I think it's Ken Berry, but others have said "no".
Lynn Anderson was the only female on that Roast, & J. Gayle was at the very end of the dais. I need to know who sat in between them. Thanx much !!!!

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garth Lough
nietseoj said:
In the Kirk Douglas Roast - which can be seen at:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR6iF5efEKE
Can you (or anybody) tell me who is sitting in between Lynn Anderson & Jackie Gayle ?
There's a real good close-up of him, at the .11 second mark, in that video.
I think it's Ken Berry, but others have said "no".
Lynn Anderson was the only female on that Roast, & J. Gayle was at the very end of the dais. I need to know who sat in between them. Thanx much !!!!
That would be country music legend Ray Price.

nietseoj

Agent
Real Name
quag
It's not Corbett Monica and it's not Ken Berry. One of the guys sitting next to Lynn Anderson IS Ray Price - but now, i'm not sure whice one ? Thanx 4 your help, everyone!

nietseoj

Agent
Real Name
quag
This is interesting.....if U watch the Hubert Humphrey roast, you will see something bizarre. Approx. 10 minutes into the Roast, Dean Martin introduces Leo Durocher, who then walks to the podium & recites his speech, of one-liners. After each joke, you see reaction shots (laughs) from all the Roasters who were on the dais, that evening. The problem is, Leo D. never attended that Roast ! He gave his speech in front of a "mock set". And the Associate Producer, (Lee Hale) edited in all of the reaction shots. Mr Hale even admits doing this, in his interview, which is part of the Star Vista Boxset. Then, at the end of Durocher's speech, Leo reaches over & pretends to shake hands with Hubert Humphrey - but instead you see an edit of H.H. shaking hands with Pat Henry ! Anybody else notice this ?? It's somewhat dishonest, in my opinion. And it wasn't even a very funny speech. But most importantly, the Roasts were SOOOOO entertaining, they didn't need to resort to doing these type of gimmicks.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
There are a lot of those examples. At one roast, James Stewart and Ronald Reagan were sitting together on a fake set, so all the reaction shots of them were together. At another, they edited in Rickles, and that was especially obvious because he was always so interactive with the dais. The Durocher example is unusual, though, in that you can catch the identity of the fake hand shaker!Garrison was a big believer in heavy editing, and he didn't think the audience was smart enough to notice or concerned enough to care. Look at how many times he edits in the same reaction shot of a celebrity laughing at different speakers. For all the footage we see, Orson Welles only needed to have laughed once in eleven years.

nietseoj

Agent
Real Name
quag
Hey, i just wanted to update you guys on something - i just got an e-mail from Tom Dreesen. (Yes, the same Tom Dreesen who appeared on 2 roasts) I asked him who the guy was sitting next to Lynn Anderson in the Kirk Douglas Roast. I didn't offer him any clues/hints. He said that IT IS without a doubt , Ken Berry !
(just as i originally stated) So for those who said it wasn't Ken Berry - to quote Red Buttons - you will never get a dinner !!

nietseoj

Agent
Real Name
quag
Garth, on Sept 26th, you wrote : "Ray Price is sitting to Lynn Anderson's left". That is 100% wrong. Ken Berry is sitting next to HER LEFT HAND SIDE. Ray Price is sitting
next to HER RIGHT HAND SIDE. Now let's examine the facts & the videos.
Ken Berry appeared on, and was a "Roaster" on the Wilt Chamberlain Roast,
during the exact same year (1973) that he appeared in that "Kirk Douglas Roast" video. Take a good look at them both. Other than the fact that Ken Berry has a fresh new haircut in one of them, they are an identical match !

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garth Lough
I stand by my statements - Ray Price is sitting on Lynn Anderson's left and the guy sitting to her right is not Ken Berry.

Now if you want to continue to argue about this you'll have to find somebody else to quibble with. I'm done with this discussion.

nietseoj

Agent
Real Name
quag
Garth was correct. (Dreesen and me were wrong) So to summarize - i am still looking to ID the man in this picture, who is sitting down next to Lynn Anderson.

Attachments

• UTUBE3.jpg
    UTUBE3.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 64

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks