What's new

Dean Kamen - 60 Minutes II - 11/12/02 - New Inventiton? (1 Viewer)

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
NOTE; THE DATE S/B 11/13/02 FOR THE BROADCAST.
Mr. Kamen reportedly will show his version of the Stirling engine. A photo appears on his website:

If it works and can be manufactured easily (so far it cannot be) it would have a significant effect on our lives... well, maybe.
Check your local newspaper for time and station in your area.

Bob Movies

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, I'll definitely be watching this. Kamen is a genius, and I can't wait to see what his new invention will bring. I still haven't had the opportunity to ride on a Segway, but I really want to!
UPDATE - it appears that this segment will be airing on Wednesday November 13, not Tuesday November 12 as stated in the thread title. Here's a link to the story on the 60 Minutes II website.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/1999/...ain48284.shtml

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Am I the only one that thinks the internal combustion engine really needs to go? I love throaty big block V8s as much as the next guy but gas & repairs for cars takes a big bite of our salaries. Oh and there's the pollution factor too..

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Am I the only one that thinks the internal combustion engine really needs to go?
Not by a long shot! I think many, if not the majority of people will welcome newer, cleaner technologies as long as they are not prohibitively expensive. One of the major problems that has to be addressed (after cost) is getting the infrastructure in place to support the new technologies. What good is a hydrogen powered fuel-cell automobile if there are no hydrogen stations near where you drive?

I'm going to Tivo tonights 60 Minutes so I don't miss it. Hopefully this is not just a bunch of "November Sweeps Hype".

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
I think the "unveiling" is going to be a rather small engine that can acutally be used to charge batteries on a lightweight vehicle such as a Segway HT. Any new engine technology, alas, will have a tough time in the marketplace. There are too many companies in place that want to keep the status quo.

On another front, reports are that the consumer Segway will go on sale this coming Summer. Price bandied about is $3000.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
Am I the only one that thinks the internal combustion engine really needs to go?
Nope. We do need something cleaner and more efficient than the current internal combustion engine. I'd be all for getting some sort of alternative fuel vehicle as my next car (as long as I can get it in a fairly decent size, like a sport wagon.)

John Miles

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not really interested in being within 300 feet of anything that needs that many screws to hold it together. :D

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
I tuned into the show last night and I have a few observations.

First, didn't 60 minutes do a story last year on the Segway when it was released? Why did we need another 20 minute segment on that when the point of the story was the Stirling Engine.

I tuned into to see what the talk was all about the engine, not a recap of something thats been out there for over a year.

I'd be all for getting some sort of alternative fuel vehicle as my next car (as long as I can get it in a fairly decent size, like a sport wagon
We recently purchased a 1998 Dodge Caravan which is Flexible Fuel Vehicle (FFV). We can use the E85 ethanol gas in this vehicle. It is 85% ethanol and 15% regular unleaded gas. I believe the local or federal governments gives the gas stations some tax incentive in selling this type of fuel, because around here the E85 gas on the average is 20 cents cheaper a gallon then regular unleaded.

I would think that with this technology already out there, for the short term we would be making the transfer to these type of vehicles, instead of making more cars and trucks that run only on unleaded gas.

Then with all these cars out there running on the cleaner fuel that can give the people like Kamen time to perfect their inventions and help us out in the long run.

Paul

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
The first segment was about the Segway Personal Transporter and how it is being tested by local police and mail carriers in some cities and how they are trying to get legislation passed so it can be used on a daily basis on local sidewalks.

The funniest part of that segment was when they interviewed a Pedestrian Rights group in San Francisco and how they are all against the Segway and how it will turn into the SUV of the sidewalk. Both me and my wife got a chuckle out of those loonies.

Then the second segment was spent on his version of the Stirlng Engine. If this can be massed produced and done in an economical way, this engine will help with cleaning the environment and reduce or dependence on gas engines.

Paul

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
SUV of the sidewalk? :laugh:
I can't imagine any current SUV-lovers buying a Segway! They'd have to raise it 2 feet off the ground, enclose it in a steel cage, triple the price, steer worse than a cow, and change the motor into a combustion engine, THEN it will sell! :)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
We recently purchased a 1998 Dodge Caravan which is Flexible Fuel Vehicle (FFV). We can use the E85 ethanol gas in this vehicle. It is 85% ethanol and 15% regular unleaded gas. I believe the local or federal governments gives the gas stations some tax incentive in selling this type of fuel, because around here the E85 gas on the average is 20 cents cheaper a gallon then regular unleaded.
Where do you find gas like that though? I've never seen any station around here with something like that. What happens if you want to travel? You have no guarantee that the gas will even be available.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
I'll post the website that has more info on E85 gas:
E85 Link
Mike, it also looks like there are no refueling stations in Texas for E85 gas, but if your interested in getting that gas down there, they have a link on how to contact your local government
Here in Minnesota there are about 65 refueling stations spread across the state.
What happens if you want to travel? You have no guarantee that the gas will even be available.
The Caravan runs on either regular unleaded gas or it can run on the Ethanol gas, hence the name Flexible Fuel Vehicle. I've had no problems with having to fill up again with regular unleaded gas after having a tank full of E85.
I believe the only disadvantage to the E85 gas is that you don't get the same MPG as you would with unleaded gas, but I have not seen a huge difference in regards to losing any MPG.
Paul

Bob Movies

Stunt Coordinator
The thing about the Segway is that I don't think it will ultimately be used on sidewalks. It seems to be more of a motor scooter / moped replacement that would ideally be served by bicycle-style lanes on the road. Pedestrian traffic is too dense in a lot of areas, so a Segway wouldn't be practical.

I thought a good point from the show was when they spoke to the auto historian who said that in the 1900's there were many critics who said that cars would never be able to peacefully coincide with the horse and buggy. These people need to look at the big picture of how these could be used.

Though that opens another political can of worms, specifically, if Segway is the only company that manufactures these scooters then is it really fair to make specific lanes for them in traffic? They seem to hold a monopoly on them. I wonder when there will be a knock-off or a competitor.

Bob

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
my university has one of our airplanes dedicated to ethanol testing, not sure how it's going though..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks