What's new

Dean Devlin to produce STARGATE sequels independent of SG-1's mythology (1 Viewer)

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
The Sci-Fi Channel website is reporting that Dean Devlin, co-writer and producer of the original Stargate movie is planning to make film sequels that take place after the first film, but do not follow the television series' storyline.

Here's the link to the story... http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=0&id=37194

He also states in the article that...

I don't know about this. After ten years of SG-1 I'm kind of locked into Richard Dean Anderson and Michael Shanks in those roles, and with the epic storytelling that the series has displayed, can Devlin really do anything new and original...? Hmmmm.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I guess it can't hurt, but I think the show took a decent but forgetable concept and built a great, lasting mythology on its foundation.

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
I say bring it on. I like the movie for what it was and I like the new TV shows for what they are. I'm definitely ready for a new movie with Russell and Spader!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Fine by me. LOVED the film, but have never watched any of the series.

Cavan.B

Stunt Coordinator
I'm apprehensive about it; it could be interesting, but more than likely it'll just complicate things. I'll have to choose between what SG-1 has built and this new take, and that's not good.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
What are the odds of this, considering I have just revisited the film tonight, after just thinking about how long it's been since watching it.

I followed the series for a short time, but it never really mattered to me, so if Dean Devlin wants to go ahead with it, it's just fine by me.

I don't hold the same low opinion of him as most seem to.

I like the fact that he has no intention of interferring with the series, and it will be independent of that.

It will be its own complete story, which should satisfy everyone.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I hate this idea. I can't believe MGM would willing go with the idea of diluting a brand they've just spent the last 10 years building. I can't imagine that many of the show's fans flocking to see this.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

There's fans of the show? :) Maybe only hardcore fans will care, but this is Dean Devlin's baby and he should continue on from what he originally envisioned.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I love the movie, and have never seen the show. This is welcome news for me. Hope it gets done, however Spader is quite a bit heavier now and just doesn't look like the same guy, IMHO.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
I remember seeing the movie in the theaters and loving the concept. Got into the series early on, and have been a fan since.

I wasn't too impressed about what I've read about his proposed triology, but I admit I could have read inaccurate material. By the same token, I think Sci-Fi has worn out the SG-1 brand and it may need a slight rest.

Overall, if it happens it'll be just like Highlander - fans of one or the other but not both, and fans that can accept each as they are. As long as it's good sci-fi I'll enjoy it, and we certainly need more good sci-fi.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Doesn't suprise me. I loved the movie, but never was able to get into MacGuyverGate.

I met Dean Devlin at a small function about 6 months ago, where he spoke at length about his career. When he mentioned Stargate a surprising amount of the small crowd hooted and hollered. And then he said "let me make something clear. I have nothing...nothing to do with the TV series". At which point everybody laughed and applauded.

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
Well, I'm a bit surprised here. I had always thought the series was more popular than the movie that spawned it. It IS the longest running American science fiction drama now...and for good reason!

I'd definitely watch Devlin's movies! But I think ultimately it will confuse the general audience...

John Doran

Screenwriter
count me in as someone who loved the movie but has never watched the TV series...

i'd be all over a stargate sequel with spader and russell.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
The movie should ignore the series. The series is not that good, people are desperate for sci-fi tv. I watched it because there was nothing on TV sci-fi wise, but I haven't watched it in 5 years, it was to repetitive.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Devlin must need the work and the money. Never thought the movie was that great and the series was never interesting until they added Browder and Black last season.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

No, and no.

What's wrong with wanting to finally complete a project after years of being unable to because you had to give it up?

He has a development deal with the studio that put the prospects of sequels away, and is taking the opportunity to right a wrong, so to speak, without interferring with what currently exists.

I don't like Indiana Jones, but I wouldn't say that after 17 years, Spielberg and Lucas are making another sequel because they need the work and the money.

Arild

Supporting Actor
As a pretty serious SG-1 fan, this worries me because

1) it will obviously walk all over the continuity of the TV shows
and
2) it means Brad Wright & co. won't get to do the SG-1 based movie(s) they've been wanting to make since forever. :frowning:

Also, I think it's pretty sad to see Devlin put down the TV show at every opportunity. I understand and sympathise with his position, but IMO the movie works a LOT better as the introduction to the Stargate universe the TV shows have been building for a decade than as a stand-alone story. I kinda wish he'd recognize that his original concept has spawned greatness, even if it happened without his direct involvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks