Deals at dvdsoon.com

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Devin U, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Devin U

Devin U Second Unit

I just ordered the Royal Tenenbaums Criterion for 21.30 canadian from this website. i heard about it on dvdtalk.com. it was a great deal. with shipping it was like 17.00! Anybody ever use them. Ive heard mixed reviews about the site, but for that price, i thought it was worth a try.

2. Bob Pierce

Bob Pierce Stunt Coordinator

I've shopped with them quite often, and in general, I've been very satisfied. I will say that any deficits they may have compared with some other online retailers are more than made up for by the price difference.

One thing I especially like about them right now is that you can get free U.S. shipping on orders over $100 CDN. With the exchange rate, that limit isn't hard to hit, if I plan ahead. They also have some kind of minimal bonus plan going, where if you're credited $1 for every order of 3+ items, and get an extra bonus when you buy 3 (or 5?) order of 3+ items (sorry if I'm foggy on the details).

Also, I've exchanged e-mails with them a few times lately, and I've found them to be responsive and helpful.

On the down side:

-- They charge your credit card when you place the order, regardless of when items ship. That sucks, period.
    -- You can only buy 8 DVDs per order. This may not sound like a big deal, but with free shipping for orders over $100, I'd rather save up a lot of great titles, and buy them all at once to take advantage of the additional shipping savings.
    -- They don't take Amex (what can I say? I'm a Membership Rewards junkie!).

They've improved since I started shopping with them, and they often beat other retailers (e.g., those listed through dvdpricesearch.com) by a ridiculous amount (it's not atypical to find a $2-4 difference from the next-lowest vendor). So, I think they'd be worth a try.

$0.02,

-- Bob

3. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

I just received my first-ever order from DVDSoon -- the Smallville DVD -- and I'm happy. Shipping takes a little longer, but as long as it gets here, I'm satisfied.

4. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

The only thing to add here is that sometimes Canadian DVDs differ slightly in packaging. The "Traffic: Criterion" DVD released in Canada had some additional studio logos on the cover (Alliance), but the actual disc was the same as the US version.

5. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Stephen,
    How is that Smallville DVD? Sorry this is off topic.
    -Andre

6. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

We watched Smallville tonight. Pretty cool DVD. An interactive map that gives a little more insight into the lay of the land, a couple of deleted scenes. Film itself is 1.85.1. Great 5.1 surround. Definite great buy.